Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Preschool son is hungry all day at school
Previous  1  2

Amarante

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 9:50 am
As others have posted, lunch is not very substantial at all.

Yogurt is not a substitution for a more "solid" food. To me it is a light snack or equivalent to a glass of milk. Not satiating in the least.

You can send a sandwich as others have said.

String cheese plus whole wheat crackers or any other kind of cracker.

What about eggs - egg salad? Deviled eggs?

Neither pretzels or animal crackers are particularly filling. They are simple carbs and digested quickly and then the blood sugar drops and a person feels hungry quickly.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 9:53 am
Give him eggs and cheese for breakfast. Is the yogurt low fat? Give him whole milk yogurt. Sugar/ carbs tend not to keep one full- give him plenty of protein and make sure none of his food has reduced fat. Add a cheese stick or two to his lunch

tichellady

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 11:09 am
Is peanut butter allowed at school? Peanut butter on crackers or rice cake is good. Does he like chickpeas, dates, cheddar cheese. These are things I put in my kids lunch

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 12:40 pm
Of course he is hungry, his lunch is a snack!!
He needs a proper lunch.

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 12:42 pm
amother OP wrote:
My 4 year old DS says he is hungry all day at at school/camp, even though he eats all his breakfast and lunch and has seconds on the snacks that they give out.

I think he might just be having a growth spurt or has a very fast metabolism, as I did as a child. So I want him to be able to satisfy his appetite properly during the school day. I just don’t know how…

For breakfast he has 2 bowls of whole grain cereal with whole milk.
For lunch, which has to be milchig, we send him with a Gevina yogurt cup, a fruit, a veg, and a bag of pretzels/animal crackers. It is similar to what the other children get.
For snacks, the school/camp gives out carby stuff (chips/pretzels, plus some fruit) twice a day.

At home he has tons of healthy but carb-centric snacks, and then a substantial dinner with meat or fish and veggies.

I guess it’s too light for an active child. I don’t think I can send “extra snacks” to school, as there isn’t really time to eat them during the day and the other kids will want to share. So what would you suggest I give him for meals to keep him full all day?

P.S. He is very tall, not thin but not truly husky. He wears 5T at age 4.

This isn’t enough food at all.
His breakfast needs to be more filling as well.
His lunch should be a sandwich, macaroni and cheese and send a Greek yogurt not a regular small yogurt.
Snacks should be more filling as well. Some pretzels isn’t going to do much for him.

mha3484

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 12:49 pm
I agree with the cereal. None of my kids find it filling at all. You can get unsweetened instant oatmeal packets at trader joes and add your own sweetener and its much more filling and just as convenient.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics