Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Preschool son is hungry all day at school
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 4:13 am
My 4 year old DS says he is hungry all day at at school/camp, even though he eats all his breakfast and lunch and has seconds on the snacks that they give out.

I think he might just be having a growth spurt or has a very fast metabolism, as I did as a child. So I want him to be able to satisfy his appetite properly during the school day. I just don’t know how…

For breakfast he has 2 bowls of whole grain cereal with whole milk.
For lunch, which has to be milchig, we send him with a Gevina yogurt cup, a fruit, a veg, and a bag of pretzels/animal crackers. It is similar to what the other children get.
For snacks, the school/camp gives out carby stuff (chips/pretzels, plus some fruit) twice a day.

At home he has tons of healthy but carb-centric snacks, and then a substantial dinner with meat or fish and veggies.

I guess it’s too light for an active child. I don’t think I can send “extra snacks” to school, as there isn’t really time to eat them during the day and the other kids will want to share. So what would you suggest I give him for meals to keep him full all day?

P.S. He is very tall, not thin but not truly husky. He wears 5T at age 4.

Elfrida

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 4:34 am
Send him a sandwich for lunch, not just yoghurt and fruit.

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 4:35 am
amother Green wrote:
Send him a sandwich for lunch, not just yoghurt and fruit.

Agree with this. I don't see how a yogurt is filling enough. Send him with a sandwich AND a yogurt if he needs it, along with the fruit etc.

joonabug

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 4:36 am
yes I would send a more substantial main for lunch

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 5:31 am
What kind of sandwich?

amother
Peony

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 5:37 am
amother OP wrote:
What kind of sandwich?

Tuna, peanut butter jelly, egg salad, avocado, hummus and cheese, cream cheeses

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 5:52 am
This wouldn't be enough for me or any of my kids. You need a more balanced breakfast too. What you send for lunch is what I'd send for breakfast.

Elfrida

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 5:56 am
amother Peony wrote:
Tuna, peanut butter jelly, egg salad, avocado, hummus and cheese, cream cheeses

On whole wheat, if he'll eat it. That will keep him satisfied for longer.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 6:09 am
My 14mo DD eats a yogurt, egg(or 2) and fruit for breakfast.
Your son needs more.
Maybe start the day with protein instead of cereal. Scrambled eggs take 2min to prepare.
If you make a large oot if oatmeal, heat up a bowl of it in the microwave.
Send a tuna sandwich.
The pretzels would be okay if they're eaten with hummus.

amother
Bluebell

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 6:19 am
I’m surprised by the responses re breakfast. Do you realize how much protein is in whole milk (and he’s probably having a couple servings from the 2 bowls) in addition to whatever is in the cereal. I think that breakfast is plenty filling.

I do think adding a sandwich would be a perfect addition to lunch to help keep him full.

You’re doing great mom!

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 6:41 am
My 2 year old eats waaay more than that and she isn't a huge kid. Cereal and milk would never fill her up for breakfast she would sit there and eat bowl after bowl and still be hungry. In our house cereal and milk is a snack food. He needs a more filling breakfast. Regarding lunch I agree that he needs a sandwich my toddlers like cream cheese on whole wheat bread sometimes with tomato and cucumber to increase the fiber intake.

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 6:49 am
Maybe get a sandwich maker and make a cheese sandwich for breakfast and then give the yogurt with fruit as well. Lunch I’d send a sandwich it pasta with veggies, pita with hummus, something more substantial. I don’t even let me kids just yogurt for breakfast because it won’t hold them over until lunch.

amother
IndianRed

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 8:30 am
I think a whole grain cereal is quite filling, especially 2 bowls. I agree with the other posters that he just needs a sandwich or additional more filling food for lunch and he should be okay.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 8:45 am
amother IndianRed wrote:
I think a whole grain cereal is quite filling, especially 2 bowls. I agree with the other posters that he just needs a sandwich or additional more filling food for lunch and he should be okay.

Whole grain is a misnomer. It has whole grain in it. It doesn't matter anyway, her son is hungry. Cereal keeps you full a very short time. Hence my suggestion of protein.

OP, your kid is little, you could even give him meat in the morning. (We don't make our small children wait much between meat and dairy)

amother
DarkCyan

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 9:12 am
Agree that his lunch sounds like a snack.

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 9:39 am
Cereal doesn’t fill my kids up. Try to give him pas shachris - my kids like toast and scrambled eggs.

amother
Pear

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 9:42 am
I agree that your son needs a more substantial breakfast and a more substantial lunch. My kids would also be hungry on such a small breakfast and lunch.
Also make sure he drinks enough throughout the day. Young kids can feel hungry when they're really thirsty.

amother
Pear

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 9:42 am
amother IndianRed wrote:

Whole grain cereal is not filling enough for a breakfast. It's a snack.

amother
Vanilla

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 9:43 am
I'll add that cereal and milk is not filling.
And he needs a more substantial lunch and dinner too.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 9:47 am
Hard boiled egg would be a great thing to add in anywhere
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics