Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Please let guests know if you use avocado oil...
1  2  Next

amother
OP  

Post Mon, Sep 30 2024, 11:18 pm
If they have a bunch of allergies, or are allergic to latex. Avocado allergies are directly related to latex allergies, and people have who have multiple allergies ro produce may have avocado too. And it's something that would not occur to a person with an avocado allergy- they don't use the oil and would not think that eating potato kugel could mess them up. Yes, they should list everything, but this is something that could be in everything.

amother
Myrtle

Post Mon, Sep 30 2024, 11:29 pm
People who have such allergies should know to say that they are allergic to avocados as well, if they are.

amother
Moccasin  

Post Mon, Sep 30 2024, 11:32 pm
Whilst hosts should make some effort to clarify any special dietary requirements, it really is on the guests to inform the hosts.
That being said, its good to be aware, so thanks for the PSA.

ETA- I often wonder if it really is worth it for people with life threatening allergies to eat outside of their homes. I've heard too many horror stories of people unwittingly eating something they shouldn't have. I would be way too frightened to trust anyone else's food if they were not used to catering for allergies.

amother
  OP

Post Yesterday at 12:07 am
This has come up for us for things like when someone brings over cookies or brownies, or wants to give as a snack.. It genuinely didn't occur to me to mention an avocado allergy- I would ask about nuts and the like, but not avocados for chocolate chip cookies. But it was there. I also didn't think to ask about it when someone offered a piece of potato kugel. It takes some time to get used to knowing that it could be in anything, so as a favor, please help out.

amother
Yolk

Post Yesterday at 12:10 am
canola oil bothers my stomach so I should expect my hosts to let me know that they use canola oil?

amother
Offwhite

Post Yesterday at 12:25 am
amother OP wrote:
This has come up for us for things like when someone brings over cookies or brownies, or wants to give as a snack.. It genuinely didn't occur to me to mention an avocado allergy- I would ask about nuts and the like, but not avocados for chocolate chip cookies. But it was there. I also didn't think to ask about it when someone offered a piece of potato kugel. It takes some time to get used to knowing that it could be in anything, so as a favor, please help out.

So now you know

amother
Milk  

Post Yesterday at 12:35 am
amother Yolk wrote:
canola oil bothers my stomach so I should expect my hosts to let me know that they use canola oil?

No.
I think that most people still use canola oil. So if you know you don't do well with it, ask the host. She doesn't have to assume you aren't good with canola oil.
It's very diff with an allergy.
I have kids with allergies. They know to ask about any offending looking food.

Raizle  

Post Yesterday at 1:08 am
amother Yolk wrote:

Firstly, you can't compare that with allergies.

What OP is saying I think, is that even if you tell someone you are allergic to avacados they may not think about the oil they are using.

Not everyone uses avacado oil, so not everyone who has an allergy is going to think to check cookies or kugel for avacado.

However usually cookies and kugel have oil so you will be alert to ask if it's canola.

amother
Ginger

Post Yesterday at 1:13 am
Someone who is allergic to avocado should not eat anything without clarifying. I use avocado oil spray to grease my pans etc. which means it’s basically in everything I make.

imaima  

Post Yesterday at 1:41 am
Anyone else doesn’t pay attention which oil they use where?

amother
Hunter

Post Yesterday at 1:48 am
amother OP wrote:

I just assume my allergen can be in everything. I never assume, I don’t put a single thing into my mouth without asking. The responsibility is 100% on us always.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Yesterday at 2:45 am
In my experience raising kids with allergies, it’s much Harder to eat out with allergies that aren’t one of the top 9 than the common ones. Everyone knows where they used nuts or milk or eggs, but they won’t remember what has mustard (in bbq sauce) or garlic.

I bring along safe food for the allergic kids.

seeker

Post Yesterday at 3:05 am
Costco sells an avocado oil spray that's kosher and I believe also kosher for pesach. So if you live anywhere near a Costco this probably comes up a lot. I'm sorry.

amother
Snow

Post Yesterday at 3:18 am
Sorry but these threads come up very often on here. If you are allergic to ANYTHING you need to tell your hosts. In advance.
I will accommodate as much as I can, I will let you know if I can't. But please tell us in advance. I am not going to remember all the ingredients I use in which dishes unless someone asks in advance. Then I will hide the ____ ingredient so I don't accidentally use it.

amother
Chocolate

Post Yesterday at 3:21 am
imaima wrote:
Anyone else doesn’t pay attention which oil they use where?

Considering the price of avocado oil, I'd hope you'd remember when you used it!

Raisin

Post Yesterday at 4:33 am
PSA
please let your hosts know if you are allergic to things, however random and however much you think nobody uses that ingredient.

Mind reading is not a thing yet.

I would be very happy to share that the brownies have avocado oil, but I need to know that avocado oil is a problem.

Its true that less common allergies are more problematic. Legally the most common allergans need to be highlighted on labels, but not the unusual ones.

imaima  

Post Yesterday at 5:29 am
amother Chocolate wrote:
Considering the price of avocado oil, I'd hope you'd remember when you used it!

If I run out of one type of oil I will add whatever other compatible oil I have to be done with the recipe. Even if it’s expensive. My time is more expensive than avocado oil

amother
Peru

Post Yesterday at 6:27 am
It’s not something you think people use if you don’t
My neighbor sent over grilled meat one Friday night . My son and husband had an allergic reaction bh not terrible but needed Benadryl for a few doses . Didn’t dream he sprayed his grill with avacado oil

amother
Aconite  

Post Yesterday at 6:43 am
Avocado oil is extremely common nowadays. It's the only oil I use for cooking. As another poster said, they sell avocado oil and avocado cooking spray at costco, which many people buy, especially for pesach since it's klp.

If you're allergic, just tell people even of you think it's unlikely that your allergen will be served. Unless you like to gamble with your health and safety.

I do try to ask if there's anything people can't eat. But the responsibility is on the people with the allergies. You can't blame everyone for not knowing, and you can't expect us to tell every person we serve every single ingredient just in case they have allergies they forgot to mention.

rmbg

Post Yesterday at 6:45 am
I only use avacado oil. So if someone is allergic they would tell me in advance
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking