Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Back to school/work suppers. Help!

amother
OP  

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 10:25 pm
We are back to routine. Long days. Getting home at 4 with the kids after a day of work.
What do you make for supper when get home with the kids and they ate hungry?

BusyBoys  

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 10:30 pm
Can you prep a crockpot supper in the am?
Those are lifesavers

amother
Mintgreen

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 10:40 pm
I cook in advance for the week. working moms always have to play offense and get ahead of the game !

Magnolia72

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 11:37 pm
I'm drowning here with dingers too

amother
  OP

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 8:04 pm
What type of crock pot suppers?

What do you meal prep?

Any fast easy ideas?

amother
Azalea

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 8:09 pm
I find that if I make a menu for myself in the beginning of the week and know what I'm doing each day for supper it's much much smoother.

This week:
Sunday : BBQ
Monday: salmon, mashed potatoes, peas, butternut squash soup
Tuesday: broiled chicken, kasha, corn, mushroom barley soup
Wednesday: Chinese stir fry, rice, shnitzel for kids who don't like, salad. If have time to make a zucchini soup
Thursday: fettuccine Alfredo (I buy the sauce), onion soup, homemade croutons, broccoli. Tofu for ppl dairy free.

BusyBoys

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 8:43 pm
amother OP wrote:

What do you meal prep?

Any fast easy ideas?

Chicken on the bone with potatoes/ sweet potatoes

Beef stew with couscous/ rice

Chilli

Bbq kolichel and shred it for sandwiches

Soups can be made as well- flanken soup with veggies

amother
Raspberry

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 8:45 pm
I prep each dinner the night before in fridge and throw in oven or on stove when I get home. Air fryer is my best friend because it’s super quick.

amother
Dahlia  

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 8:47 pm
amother Azalea wrote:
I find that if I make a menu for myself in the beginning of the week and know what I'm doing each day for supper it's much much smoother.

This week:
Sunday : BBQ
Monday: salmon, mashed potatoes, peas, butternut squash soup
Tuesday: broiled chicken, kasha, corn, mushroom barley soup
Wednesday: Chinese stir fry, rice, shnitzel for kids who don't like, salad. If have time to make a zucchini soup
Thursday: fettuccine Alfredo (I buy the sauce), onion soup, homemade croutons, broccoli. Tofu for ppl dairy free.

Wow. A different soup every day + a full meal. I would never be able to do that after work. Not to mention making 2 different options of a main.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 8:48 pm
I cook stuff low and slow overnight then when we all come home I just heat it up. I cook, chicken on the bone, diff meats all in 275 for 6/7 hrs. I also chop a salad and prep the dressing in cup or prep the vegis that need to be roasted on a cookie sheet and throw it in oven the second we get home. Meatballs and spaghetti is also super easy. If u remember to have chopped meat defrosted then roll into balls no need for anything other than the meat throw jar gefen pasta sauce in pot and simmer while the kids bathe and bed. And spaghetti also takes quick and no brain power and u have yummy supper for next night. At the end of the day it’s all about the prep the night before.

amother
Bluebell

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 8:56 pm
Cook dinner the night before.
I like to give dinner as soon as they get home and if they are hungry later on they can take 2nds or a snack

In the winter
I always make soup
I make huge batches on Sunday and freeze
I try to make MOST of them parve

I have a weekly menu that I repeat more or less

Sunday - leftovers
Monday- Meatloaf and mash potatoes
Tuesday- Chicken and rice
Wednesday - pasta and cheese dish
Thursday - hotdogs French fries

Motze Shabbat - eggs, bagels, cream cheese, pancakes, grill cheese, soup

Vegetables is what ever I have on hand
String beans, Ratatouille, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Carrots, raw veggies, salad stuff
and there’s lots of veggies in the soup

amother
  Dahlia

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 9:08 pm
Chicken and rice.
Oven-ready lasagna
Spaghetti and meat-sauce
Salmon and mashed potatoes
Schnitzel or stir-fry when I have a little more time/energy.

On a good week I will make a big soup on Sunday that will last most of the week. (Vegetable soup, lentil, mushroom-barley, butter-nut squash, but often, none.)

I do cut up veggies or a salad daily and sometimes cooked veggies, usually broccoli 🥦

But-- I won't say we've never had tuna sandwiches or plain pasta with ketchup for supper. Or grilled cheese.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 10:03 pm
amother OP wrote:

What do you meal prep?

Any fast easy ideas?

Fast ideas:

Toss dark chicken cutlet strips with olive oil and shwarma seasoning. Lay out on cookie sheet. Bake on preheated oven to 425 for 28 minutes. Slice up chicken, stuff into pita, serve with halved grape tomatoes, diced kirbies, red onion, and tehina or garlic mayo.

Form ground beef into burgers. Season both sides with Montréal steak seasoning. Lay out on cookie sheet. Bake on preheated oven to 400 for 20 minutes. Serve in buns with green lettuce, sliced tomatoes, and your fave sauces and condiments.

Lay out broccoli & mini baby red potatoes on a cookie sheet. Spray with avocado oil spray and season with salt and dried minced onion. Bake at 450 for 20 minutes. Remove broccoli/potatoes from oven, add salmon slices that have been sprayed with same oil and seasoned very well with your fave seasoning. Bake everything an additional 15 min.

Preheat oven to 425. Combine 1.5 cups rice with 3 cups water and 1 1/4 tsp salt. Cover and place in oven on bottom rack.
Meanwhile combine 1.5 lbs thin sliced chicken cutlets in a bowl with 1 egg, 1 tbsp flour, 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp garlic powder. Mix until evenly pasty. Add coarse cornflake crumbs to bowl and gently toss until chicken is coated. Lay out on greased baking sheet and place on top rack of oven for 18 minutes.
Serve with platter of baby carrots, grape tomatoes, mini pickles, and your fave dip.

You can prepare these elements night before so you can slide in sheet pan as soon as you get home.

amother
Charcoal  

Post Wed, Sep 11 2024, 8:23 am
This morning, everyone got granola, fruit and yogurt jars from the fridge. I use mason jars and make these in advance. Today was strawberry and banana day. Yesterday was vanilla and blueberries. I pack lunches for 2 kids and my husband. My husband got white rice from last night's dinner, a piece of bbq chicken and sliced veggies. My daughter was a turkey sub with same veggies as my husband and leftover garlic pasta. My son got veggies and mini pizzas (made this morning at 5am.) Dinner is a crockpot meal of beef and broccoli. Takes 4 minutes to put up in the morning, leave it on low and I set the rice cooker for 5pm. Done. Lunch tomorrow for my husband and daughter is leftovers from today and breakfast is mason jars with mango and almond milk/chia seeds. Dinner tomorrow night is mexican sausages from the freezer (made last month using the crockpot) and fresh spaghetti. I try 2-4 ingredient dinners that can be preset or frozen and lunches are as simple as I can make them. Breakfast is premade yogurt jars or healthy muffins or egg quiches (also frozen in advance). The more you can cook at one shot and freeze, the easier it is to leave the ziplock in the fridge overnight for the next morning. I enjoy feeding my family relatively tasty but healthy(ish) things so keeping to a prep schedule is important for them and me. Good luck!

amother
Sage

Post Wed, Sep 11 2024, 1:00 pm
amother Charcoal wrote:
This morning, everyone got granola, fruit and yogurt jars from the fridge. I use mason jars and make these in advance. Today was strawberry and banana day. Yesterday was vanilla and blueberries. I pack lunches for 2 kids and my husband. My husband got white rice from last night's dinner, a piece of bbq chicken and sliced veggies. My daughter was a turkey sub with same veggies as my husband and leftover garlic pasta. My son got veggies and mini pizzas (made this morning at 5am.) Dinner is a crockpot meal of beef and broccoli. Takes 4 minutes to put up in the morning, leave it on low and I set the rice cooker for 5pm. Done. Lunch tomorrow for my husband and daughter is leftovers from today and breakfast is mason jars with mango and almond milk/chia seeds. Dinner tomorrow night is mexican sausages from the freezer (made last month using the crockpot) and fresh spaghetti. I try 2-4 ingredient dinners that can be preset or frozen and lunches are as simple as I can make them. Breakfast is premade yogurt jars or healthy muffins or egg quiches (also frozen in advance). The more you can cook at one shot and freeze, the easier it is to leave the ziplock in the fridge overnight for the next morning. I enjoy feeding my family relatively tasty but healthy(ish) things so keeping to a prep schedule is important for them and me. Good luck!

What’s the recipe for crockpot beef and broccoli?

mha3484

Post Wed, Sep 11 2024, 1:08 pm
I like to do a mix of prep ahead, crockpot and 15 minute dinners and I try to keep it varied. This week for us was mostly 15 minute dinners:

Sunday- Smash Burgers and Fries (15 Min dinner)
Monday- Ordered Pizza
Last night Chicken Cesar Salad (30 min dinner) and while chicken was air frying I was multi tasking cleaning up in the kitchen
Tonight: Korean Beef Bowls with frozen rice and cut up raw veggies (15 Minute Dinner)
Tomorrow: Pasta in the Instant Pot

Next week may be one night quick meal, one night slow cooker, a different night something I prepped the day before. I like to have a few ideas in each category I can plug in.

amother
  Charcoal

Post Wed, Sep 11 2024, 2:45 pm
amother Sage wrote:
What’s the recipe for crockpot beef and broccoli?

3 lbs of oyster steak (it's like thin chulent meat)
2 cups of beef broth
1 cup of low sodium soy sauce
5 frozen cloves of minced garlic
2 tablespoons of toasted sesame oil
2/3 cup of brown sugar.
Set on low. Come back 6 hours later and add cornstarch to thicken and dump in a frozen bag of broccoli. 30 mins later, ladle on top of white rice (rice cooker). Feeds our family of 5 and there are typically leftovers for lunches.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics