amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 2:29 pm
Wow. What else did you do

amother
  Whitesmoke  

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 2:35 pm
amother Seagreen wrote:
I find it helps to make it less dramatic. Stop weighing every single day, weigh once a week. Using words like cheating or being amazing creates a dramatic effect around food, that often results in gaining weight back or giving up.
Just decide how you want to eat and keep at it. Decide if you are going to include treats or not and if yes plan for them.
In general making a plan for what you will eat especially before shabbos can really help.
I also have a plan (I call it a protocol) for certain situations in my life for example:
What will I eat if:
I'm not feeling well
I'm a guest at a shabbos or Yom tov meal
I'm a guest over shabbos and Yom tov
On vacation
At a restaurant
At a simcha
Having a protocol keeps the fear and nervousness around these food situations helps me stay grounded and focused.

Idk, this doesn't work for me. Seeing the scale every day keeps me focused and on track. For some it might be worse to keep checking.

amother
  Whitesmoke  

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 2:36 pm
amother OP wrote:
Just updated y’all bc I Am so freakin proud of myself.

I didn’t cheat even slightly over shabbos. I was away from home, at a Simcha with delicious cakes and candy and pasty dough type foods that of course I would devour in a second… I didn’t touch anything! Had a small amount of sourdough for hamotzi and that’s all. I haven’t made it through a shabbos without “cheating” in years. Yes, I had to have potato kugel bc I did need to eat, but other than that I chose the salads and cooked veggies over the other unhealthier options. I’m still not home so I can’t weigh myself but I wtvr it says I am so proud

You should be proud! I can't say I did my best but I tried to watch my portions at least. Today I'm right back on track.

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 2:40 pm
I agree. I need the motivation of seeing the scale go down even a fraction of a pound

Just btw, ya know how they say all the snacks kids are eating make them act wild and crazy.. I can’t event tell you how much of a difference I feel by cutting out all processed foods. My body (and mind) feel calmer. I have more patience. I wish my kids could cut out all processed foods!

amother
  Steel

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 5:51 pm
amother OP wrote:
I agree. I need the motivation of seeing the scale go down even a fraction of a pound

Just btw, ya know how they say all the snacks kids are eating make them act wild and crazy.. I can’t event tell you how much of a difference I feel by cutting out all processed foods. My body (and mind) feel calmer. I have more patience. I wish my kids could cut out all processed foods!
ITA about feeling better, that’s my biggest motivator. I don’t feel gross and tired and heartburn after a meal, I wake up more well rested after not eating at night. Knowing I’ll feel awful if I cheat makes it almost easy to hold back. I imagine this is how a person who’s allergic looks at food they can’t have, there’s no temptation since they know it’s bad for them.

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 6:47 pm
Yes, BUT often I feel like even though I’ll feel gross after etc… it’s just sooooo delicious so it’s worth it!

amother
  Wisteria

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 12:20 am
amother OP wrote:
My problem with drinking water having to go to the bathroom. All. Day. Long.

I can’t be outside playing with my kids, can go do errands etc… bc I’m always needing the bathroom. That’s of course If I drink extra. Drinking a cup or two isn’t gonna do it

I found that to be only in the beginning when your body isn’t used to that. Afterwards it regulates

amother
Firethorn

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 7:08 am
I lost 45lbs about 6 years ago. I used a nutritionist. She gave me strict guidelines about what I could and couldn’t eat. Paying for it each week made me feel especially committed and motivated- I didn’t want to waste all my money by sneaking cookies and chips at night! I needed a huge amount of willpower to lose the weight. I lost 1-2.5 lbs a week. It took about a year.
I went to school to become a health coach to give others tools that I wish I had on my journey and help others reach their health and weight goals.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 10:39 am
It’s so encouraging for me to hear about all your successes. Keep em coming.

I only gained about .5 over shabbos. Which based on past weeks is amazing. Not sure how I gained even .5 but I guess it’s from the small amount of challah and potato kugel. I’m still proud of myself but it’s just so frustrating being set back each week.
I see that I lose weight with calorie restriction. Meaning that even if something is “healthy” if I eat and eat it won’t let me lose weight.

I was hoping my face would at least appear slightly thinner after 1 week but nope, I look exactly the same. Still hoping and trying to stay strong

amother
Seablue

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 11:58 am
It's not neccessarily a real gain - if you eat something saltier you retain more water etc. I weigh daily and I see that there's a jump every Sunday, but as long as the general trend is downwards (so this Sunday is less than last Sunday), I don't focus on the day to day variation.

I got this scale which is super expensive but it lets you hide the weight on the scale but it registers in the app. So I weigh daily and look every week or two at the graph and the trendline and I don't get frustrated every morning with the number but I have the accountability of weighing daily.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....ss_tl

amother
  Whitesmoke  

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 9:06 pm
How are you doing, op?

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 9:58 pm
I did Optavia. I lost 40 lb in 3 months. I know some people are against it because you have to buy Optavia food and people feel like it's a fraud. Its not. It worked really well for me.
I loved that you can grab their bars on the go. The only meal prep was your once a day meal (the rest of the day, you eat an Optavia bar, etc every 2-3 hours). You lose your weight pretty fast and then go on maintenance.
I kept the 40 lb off for a year a half until I became pregnant. Now post pregnancy, I need to lose 30-40 lb again. I am hesitant to re-start Optavia because it's expensive. I also have less energy with a newborn and I don't feel ready to go on such a low calorie diet.
I am enjoying the different ideas being given on this thread.

amother
  Bergamot  

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 10:01 am
I'd love to swap one meal a day for a protein shake. If anyone has any links for a kosher one that tastes nice please? Amazon is best as I'm in the UK.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 12:46 pm
I made it this far!! This is huge for me. I have a zero tolerance for cheating rule. Bc I know myself and even one slip and it’s (very potentially) over for me.

The only cheats I did allow was once a made good/kind bars that were leftover from a trip. Was careful with my calories that day. And then today for some reason I thought it was ok to have chocolate covered rice cakes. Not sure why I thought that but I’m not doing it again.

I’m doing almost no dairy (Mozzerella cheese occasionally in eggs), no gluten, no sugar. Yes maple sugar. I feel great. BUT my scale says a different number all the time and I have no idea what’s right. So either I lost about 9 lbs.. which would be wonderful! Or I lost 2.5. Not so great.

My clothing still fits the same but even with 9 lbs I wouldn’t expect it to be loose.

Due to work I wasn’t able to fit working out into my day until now. Starting today my schedule is a bit easier and I’m getting a walk in everyday. Is walking (with hills!) considered good enough exercise? I really enjoy it and I really don’t enjoy other exercises

amother
  Coffee  

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 1:52 pm
amother OP wrote:
I made it this far!! This is huge for me. I have a zero tolerance for cheating rule. Bc I know myself and even one slip and it’s (very potentially) over for me.

The only cheats I did allow was once a made good/kind bars that were leftover from a trip. Was careful with my calories that day. And then today for some reason I thought it was ok to have chocolate covered rice cakes. Not sure why I thought that but I’m not doing it again.

I’m doing almost no dairy (Mozzerella cheese occasionally in eggs), no gluten, no sugar. Yes maple sugar. I feel great. BUT my scale says a different number all the time and I have no idea what’s right. So either I lost about 9 lbs.. which would be wonderful! Or I lost 2.5. Not so great.

My clothing still fits the same but even with 9 lbs I wouldn’t expect it to be loose.

Due to work I wasn’t able to fit working out into my day until now. Starting today my schedule is a bit easier and I’m getting a walk in everyday. Is walking (with hills!) considered good enough exercise? I really enjoy it and I really don’t enjoy other exercises

Are you weighing yourself 1st thing in the morning with no clothes on? When I do this it is very consistant in the weight.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 1:58 pm
amother Coffee wrote:
Are you weighing yourself 1st thing in the morning with no clothes on? When I do this it is very consistant in the weight.

Yea I am but when my scale moves it gives different readings

amother
  Whitesmoke  

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 2:25 pm
amother OP wrote:
Yea I am but when my scale moves it gives different readings

Is it on a level surface? Is it digital or analog? Does it zero out before you step on it?

amother
Tulip

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 2:33 pm
I carb cycled, counted calories, and worked out a lot.

Lost 70 lbs

amother
  Bergamot  

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 3:20 pm
amother Tulip wrote:
I carb cycled, counted calories, and worked out a lot.

Lost 70 lbs

Wow well done that's amazing! What's carb cycling? And in how long did you lose 70?

amother
  Bergamot

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 3:21 pm
amother OP wrote:

Sounds like you're doing really well 💪 Keep it up. I get weighed tomorrow evening 😮‍💨 I'm not sure if I've lost much if any. Time will tell.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise