Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Your 30+ lbs story
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

shanie5

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 11:12 am
I started losing 2 years ago. I lost 25 lbs in the first 2.5 months. I've kept losing, but at a slower rate. I'm still going down now. My total weight loss so far is 67 lbs. I do NSNG. It's not a temporary diet, it's a way of life. NSNG stands for No Sugar (of any kind-real or fake), No Grains. It includes no potaoes and no corn. As I tell people, I am basically pesachdik all year long-without the potatoes.
I do have a little challah on shabbos and yomtov, but thats it. I replaced the grains with Fat and more protein.

Breakfast: 3 eggs (or more if needed) fried in butter. cheese added if I want
Other options: Full fat cottage cheese with sour cream, and a few berries.
Full fat plain yogurt Flavored with a little vanilla and berries, or a a Tablespoon or 2 of
peanut or almond butter
Lunch and dinner: Fish, chicken (with skin), or meat. Fatty cuts are best. If using ground beef, use 80/20, not "lean". Don't drain the fat when browning. Veggies if you want.

Snacks (if needed): Olives, hard boiled eggs, 85% cacao chocolate, cheese (I like taking slices of cheese and frying them in a pan till crispy), pickles (check ingredients), nuts.

Try not to eat 2 hours before bedtime.

To avoid keto flu, make sure you get enough salt/electrolites. Smartwater is a good option if you aren't getting enough naturally.

amother
Whitesmoke  

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 11:21 am
Last year I lost 30 lbs through intermittent fasting, eating less junk, and not eating mindlessly/eating only when hungry and stopping when satiated.

I gained back 10 lbs but have kept off of the other 20 for 8 months.

I'm starting to go back to watching what I eat, and hope to lose a final 40 lbs.

elaela

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 12:18 pm
I love this thread

amother
Celeste

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 12:38 pm
40 lbs.
My BP was high and dr suggested me losing weight before trying meds. I was overweight after pregnancy anyway... it worked.
I still want to lose 20lbs.
I only eat from 11 am till 7pm. as low carb as possible, once a week I eat carbs .
I feel great physically and all my beautiful old clothing fits me.

amother
  Bergamot  

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 6:31 pm
amother Celeste wrote:
40 lbs.
My BP was high and dr suggested me losing weight before trying meds. I was overweight after pregnancy anyway... it worked.
I still want to lose 20lbs.
I only eat from 11 am till 7pm. as low carb as possible, once a week I eat carbs .
I feel great physically and all my beautiful old clothing fits me.

Sounds great. In how long did you lose that weight?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 8:37 pm
1.what did you eat?
2 how did you stay motivated
3 how long did it take
4 did you work out? If yes, what type and how often

As of last week I shed 28 lbs in around 4 months. I go for whole grain foods as much as possible, and eat more veggies and green leafy veggies than I used to. Three cups of skim milk and two fruits a day. Two servings of protein a day: chicken, fish, occasionally eggs but I'm too lazy to cook them myself, occasionally hard cheese, cottage cheese, lowfat or nonfat yogurt, hummus, occasionally peanut butter, and a few nuts--but a few, literally between one and 10 nuts depending on what kind of nut it is, not by the handful the way I used to. I cut out the usual suspects: baked goods, candy, ice cream, etc. Occasionally I'll allow myself a sliver of cake or a spoonful of ice cream, but only occasionally. I'm better off not tasting this stuff in the first place.

I follow the old Weight Watchers plan that counted servings of fruit, vegs, milk, protein, bread and other starches, and fat--not the points system, which I never liked. On the points system it's easy to delude yourself into thinking that 10 points' worth of cheese danish has the same value as 10 points' worth of salmon, whole-wheat pasta and cantaloupe.

Nothing succeeds like success. Motivation comes from losing, of course, but if I don't lose in a given week, I remind myself of how far I've come and tell myself not to blow it now, next week or the one after the weight will come off. Maybe this week I'm adding muscle or retaining water and that's why the scale hasn't moved if I've been keeping the faith. And if I wasn't keeping the faith last week, well then, it's time to start keeping it again.

Also, to be brutally honest, my medical numbers--blood pressure, cholesterol and so on--were in the stratosphere. I would like to live long enough to see my grandchildren get married and be healthy enough to dance at their weddings, and those numbers scared me. Since my goal is health and not only a smaller dress size, I limit salt, red meat, highly processed foods, anything made with white flour, sugar, and artificial sweeteners. But I'm not fanatic about it, and if I'm invited for Shabbos I'll eat your white-flour challah. Just not as much as I used to.

I walk a lot, but I didn't start right away. Losing the first few lbs. was a great motivator. Aside from physical therapy exercises--stretching and range of motion, not big calorie burners-- I use free weights for about 15 minutes three times a week to build strength and bone, and for the last two months or so I've been walking outdoors about an hour to an hour and a half a day 5-6 days a week. A pedometer is a great motivator because you can see how much you've walked, not just how long you've been at it.

The difference between losing weight for health and losing it for looks is that when you reach your goal weight, if you lost weight for looks alone, it's tempting to go back to your former practices. If your objective is health, though, you can't ever go back.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 9:22 pm
I am really so appreciating all of your stories. Keep them coming bc I check this thread throughout the day and it really motivates me.

I’m good with intermittent fasting, but what do you do with Friday night? I have found in the past with IF that Friday night throws me off

And just in case this helps anyone… just like I would make my child a chart and add a sticker/check etc each day to help encourage a new behavior or the like, I made myself a blank calendar of September and am making a smiley face at the end of each day that I succeeded in keeping on track. It feels surprisingly good to make the smiley at night! I promise I’m not five years old!

Did anyone ever see a big drop in weight after a little while? Or should I only expect .03 or something a day (I know it’s so individual)

amother
  Wandflower

Post Tue, Sep 03 2024, 2:40 am
amother OP wrote:
I am really so appreciating all of your stories. Keep them coming bc I check this thread throughout the day and it really motivates me.

I’m good with intermittent fasting, but what do you do with Friday night? I have found in the past with IF that Friday night throws me off

And just in case this helps anyone… just like I would make my child a chart and add a sticker/check etc each day to help encourage a new behavior or the like, I made myself a blank calendar of September and am making a smiley face at the end of each day that I succeeded in keeping on track. It feels surprisingly good to make the smiley at night! I promise I’m not five years old!

Did anyone ever see a big drop in weight after a little while? Or should I only expect .03 or something a day (I know it’s so individual)

The healthiest and most sustainable rate for weightloss is 0.5 - 1 lb per week. So .03 a day sounds about right.

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 11:14 pm
I’ve been amazing the entire week. I am loosing and grateful. But how do I keep the momentum?I was literally in front of my favourite kids dinner tonight and it didn’t even occur to me to maybe cheat. I was so proud. But from the past when I lost 5-7 lbs I would cave and cheat. I don’t want that to happen yet agai.
I’m so nervous for Shabbos. We have a cousins bar mitzvah Kiddush to attend so we are sleeping at relatives for Shabbos.

motherqueen

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 11:16 pm
amother OP wrote:
I’ve been amazing the entire week. I am loosing and grateful. But how do I keep the momentum?I was literally in front of my favourite kids dinner tonight and it didn’t even occur to me to maybe cheat. I was so proud. But from the past when I lost 5-7 lbs I would cave and cheat. I don’t want that to happen yet agai.
I’m so nervous for Shabbos. We have a cousins bar mitzvah Kiddush to attend so we are sleeping at relatives for Shabbos.

can I ask what you are doing?

amother
  Whitesmoke  

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 11:22 pm
amother OP wrote:

Shabbos is hard. Focus on healthier choices and portion sizes. On Shabbos day, I don't eat until the seudah, and then try to limit snacking later in the day.

amother
  Whitesmoke  

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 10:42 am
Just wanted to give you some chizzuk before Shabbos, op.

I'm down three lbs now and really hoping I can not gain to much over Shabbos. That's been my problem for a while. Losing a little during the week, then gaining too much on Shabbos, and I'm back to where I started every week after Shabbos.

But this week I am determined to do better! And you should have success as well!

amother
Azure

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 10:55 am
Bh I’m not overweight at all but I like to watch what I eat for health reasons.

I find that chewing gum helps me avoid a lot of unnecessary eating.

Pick your favorite flavor and always have it with you.

amother
Seagreen

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 11:13 am
I find it helps to make it less dramatic. Stop weighing every single day, weigh once a week. Using words like cheating or being amazing creates a dramatic effect around food, that often results in gaining weight back or giving up.
Just decide how you want to eat and keep at it. Decide if you are going to include treats or not and if yes plan for them.
In general making a plan for what you will eat especially before shabbos can really help.
I also have a plan (I call it a protocol) for certain situations in my life for example:
What will I eat if:
I'm not feeling well
I'm a guest at a shabbos or Yom tov meal
I'm a guest over shabbos and Yom tov
On vacation
At a restaurant
At a simcha
Having a protocol keeps the fear and nervousness around these food situations helps me stay grounded and focused.

amother
  OP  

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 3:25 pm
Thank you everyone. I so appreciate all the tips tricks and Chizzuk… I really need it all.

I’m trying so hard. Going to start implementing work outs now that my kids started school again.

But first gotta conquer shabbos.

My biggest issue is that it’s all or nothing for me. If I taste a piece of cookie it’s all over. I’ll eat 10 and will find it hard to start over

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 7:45 am
Just updated y’all bc I Am so freakin proud of myself.

I didn’t cheat even slightly over shabbos. I was away from home, at a Simcha with delicious cakes and candy and pasty dough type foods that of course I would devour in a second… I didn’t touch anything! Had a small amount of sourdough for hamotzi and that’s all. I haven’t made it through a shabbos without “cheating” in years. Yes, I had to have potato kugel bc I did need to eat, but other than that I chose the salads and cooked veggies over the other unhealthier options. I’m still not home so I can’t weigh myself but I wtvr it says I am so proud

amother
  DarkYellow

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 8:21 am
Good for you!
Shabbos is always hard. I make some options at home just for me. I can't imagine going away for a whole shabbos. I would just bring homemade power bars and live off those 🙈
I'm about 40-50 lbs from my goal weight (for health reasons) and am planning to kick my diet into gear again. Hopefully we continue to lose together!

amother
Wisteria  

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 9:35 am
This thread is so empowering. I hope to shed 10 pounds until Rosh Hashanah.

I will not gain weight over Yomim Tovim.

I started being more mindful with my food choices - telling myself I don’t need the sugar and flour badies and I am worthy of living in a beautiful body.

Let’s make it happen together.

This week my goal is incorporating more water. I love drinking it I just get too busy and don’t do it.
Let’s see where that goes.

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 1:01 pm
My problem with drinking water having to go to the bathroom. All. Day. Long.

I can’t be outside playing with my kids, can go do errands etc… bc I’m always needing the bathroom. That’s of course If I drink extra. Drinking a cup or two isn’t gonna do it

amother
Moccasin

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 2:19 pm
65 pounds lost since late january. no carb except for minimal high fiber/sourdough in shabbos, measured at each meal. the weight loss slows so now it's maybe 1 pound a month. I have over 50 pounds to go until I'm considered a healthy weight...

keep it up op!
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise