Depends who  
 8%  [ 16 ]
Only if they're not paying attention  
 6%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 187

amother
Darkblue

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 8:54 am
I definitely check out my newly married friend and relatives to see if they are pregnant yet. They got married, and this is usually the next step, especially in their yeshivish learning circles. I would never ask, but I'm definitely gonna look when they aren't looking.

I also feel like you don't necessarily LOOK for it, but sometimes you just SEE it. So I voted sometimes.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 8:56 am
I'll be honest-
I don't look at people's stomachs not because I'm not (rarely) curious only because I think it's rude.
I've been on the receiving end of people staring at my stomach between breaks of having kids. It's so rude.

One time I met a friend who got married the same time I did. She didn't have any children when I was up to my third already. I so badly wanted to see if she's pregnant but I controlled myself and didn't even take a peep.

amother
Currant

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 9:00 am
I went thru infertility for many years, I can not begin to tell you how many stomach stares I got. to the point where a fellow infertility friend commented that people don't even remember what WE look like anymore, just our middles...

amother
Lightgreen

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 9:03 am
I feel like people always looking. And I got a few comments when I wasn’t pregnant. Not nice at all.

singleagain  

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 9:05 am
amother Chartreuse wrote:
Na. I'm sure some people don't notice.

But the reality is, most women do notice (even if they don't care perse) and this thread is a humble brag of being so above it all and so mature and I'm calling BS. I'm not saying we all stare and analyze bellies all day but a quick glance or noticing when someone enters the room if they are showing is not exactly rude. It's just life. Be honest that's all.

People notice clothing, makeup, handbags, jewelry, braces, shaitels, casts, glasses, weight gain, weight loss, if someone is under the weather, etc. All of the sudden we pretending we don't notice baby bumps? Come on...be real.

The question was do we look. Not do we notice.

I don't look on purpose. I may notice but I don't look and I don't linger.

amother
  Eggshell  

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 1:53 pm
singleagain wrote:
To those two posters I saw who claim ppl are lying... Why do you assume that?

If it's been your experience otherwise, it doesn't mean that it's a universal experience.

I don't go looking for things like that. I may take in the whole person, but I never go scrutinizing anyone.

People stare, a lot
Probably without realizing
But people stare all the time
Those of us who don’t have kids yet or have big breaks between kids know it and feel it
When I go into a simcha 98% of the women take a quick glance at my stomach when saying hello

amother
  Eggshell  

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 1:57 pm
little neshamala wrote:
How many years are we talking here?
Im going on 7 years now without being pregnant. I havent noticed people looking at my stomach to check...its possible they are but I havent noticed.
I certainly am not looking to see if others are pregnant.
If theyre obviously pregnant then if course I'll notice, but I never think to look and assess "hey, is she pregnant?"

ETA I do want to say how sorry I am for anyone who has been on the receiving end of such "stomach talk". I cant imagine how invasive, gross, and if youve been TTC, painful that must feel.
For anyone who is doing that, just stop.

Going on to 30 years old (age)
Good for you that you don’t get it.. I get it all the time
Before every simcha I prepare myself for it so it shouldn’t bother me, but it still bothers me every time.. it feels horrible

singleagain

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 2:00 pm
amother Eggshell wrote:
People stare, a lot
Probably without realizing
But people stare all the time
Those of us who don’t have kids yet or have big breaks between kids know it and feel it
When I go into a simcha 98% of the women take a quick glance at my stomach when saying hello

I have no kids. I've never been pregnant. And in a different job I did have ppl ask me after other reasons. So I get it. But like I said I don't go looking. And I think most ppl here are telling the truth when they say that.

amother
  Eggshell

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 2:04 pm
singleagain wrote:
I have no kids. I've never been pregnant. And in a different job I did have ppl ask me after other reasons. So I get it. But like I said I don't go looking. And I think most ppl here are telling the truth when they say that.

I am assuming that the people who know that they look didn’t vote here or didnt even bother coming into this thread
Why would they want to read things against what they do?
The posts about people lying definitely made me chuckle though
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette