66%  [ 125 ]
Depends who  
 8%  [ 16 ]
Only if they're not paying attention  
 6%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 187

tweety1  

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 12:42 am
Never. I never notice when someone is pregnant or not. Even people I'm very close with.

DrMom

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 12:49 am
No, I do not assess people's abdomens when I see them for the first time in a while. What a weird, socially off thing to do.

(I didn't even realize that your thread title referred to pregnancy. I was thinking of a male relative whom I just saw after 10+ years and thought maybe you were referring to weight gain?)

effess

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 12:51 am
Ppl are very often looking at my middle and commenting.

gr82no

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 12:53 am
Yes I do a quick glance at their stomach sometime during the conversation

I know it's not right but I still do it

amother
  Eggshell  

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 1:05 am
little neshamala wrote:
I am honestly shocked at the question. What in the world. There are so many other things in this world, why are some people laser focused on whether or not someone is pregnant?
Like why not also immediately check if theyre wearing mascara? Or if their teeth look whiter?

If you would be at the receiving end of these stares for years on end with no break, meaning no pregnancy, you wouldn’t be so shocked.

amother
Bluebell

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 4:18 am
Yes, I look at all of a person when I see them after a while. Just a glance. I'd notice their shoes, clothes, stomach, face, glasses etc. if it was an obvious change. The difference is I'm not trying to work out if they're pregnant or not, and I wouldn't make assumptions if I thought they were but it wasn't obvious. I've had many pregnancy losses, even after showing. On one side I would never assume, on the other I don't like to be surprised by baby news, so if someone looks like they might be pregnant I'll file that away in useful to know information, but again, not an absolute assumption.

spikta

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 4:55 am
Truthfully, I don't care too deeply about how many children my acquaintances have. If they're married, I'm sure they're trying to have as many kids as they can handle. Even if it wasn't totally socially off to scan people's abdomens, I honestly wouldn't bother for someone I only see once or twice a year. She's either pregnant or pospartem or trying or taking a break... We all know what phase of life we're in right now, the details don't really matter for someone I'm not close to :shrug

amother
Birch

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 4:56 am
effess wrote:
Ppl are very often looking at my middle and commenting.

What do they say?
I have pif so ye they stare

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 5:33 am
You're all lying.

amother
Pansy

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 7:09 am
As someone who went through if I definitely noticed the stares

singleagain  

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 7:16 am
To those two posters I saw who claim ppl are lying... Why do you assume that?

If it's been your experience otherwise, it doesn't mean that it's a universal experience.

I don't go looking for things like that. I may take in the whole person, but I never go scrutinizing anyone.

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 7:31 am
I didn’t vote. I generally don’t but there is one instance (as an adult) where I did try to sneak a look when they weren’t looking. My closest friend had gotten pregnant straight away and there were some fairly obvious signs. Primarily, she obviously went up 2-3 cup sizes, she couldn’t get enough orange juice when it used to be her most hated drink ever and she started crying about something pretty neutral and did a bad job explaining why she was crying.

I was trying to guess how far along she was. She ended up telling me later that day since she figured I’d guessed

I did get a lot of looks Shana rishona. It was a bit irritating but I didn’t mind terribly because I know it’s only natural to be curious. As long as no inappropriate comments were made and they were trying to keep it subtle, it was fine by me

Ruchel

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 7:34 am
Please don't.
Whatever you do don't ask.

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 7:42 am
When I am not trying to get pregnant I don’t
When I am, I am looking who else is, so I could discuss these things with them

little neshamala

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 7:47 am
amother Eggshell wrote:
If you would be at the receiving end of these stares for years on end with no break, meaning no pregnancy, you wouldn’t be so shocked.

How many years are we talking here?
Im going on 7 years now without being pregnant. I havent noticed people looking at my stomach to check...its possible they are but I havent noticed.
I certainly am not looking to see if others are pregnant.
If theyre obviously pregnant then if course I'll notice, but I never think to look and assess "hey, is she pregnant?"

ETA I do want to say how sorry I am for anyone who has been on the receiving end of such "stomach talk". I cant imagine how invasive, gross, and if youve been TTC, painful that must feel.
For anyone who is doing that, just stop.

Last edited by little neshamala on Mon, Sep 02 2024, 7:53 am; edited 1 time in total

tweety1

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 7:47 am
amother Cantaloupe wrote:
You're all lying.

Are you a liar? I would assume so. If you're saying we are all lying then my assumption is you're a liar. Pretty rude for such an attitude. Belive it or not, there are people on this planet who really don't look at people's stomachs but on peoples faces.

amother
  Khaki

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 7:56 am
amother Chartreuse wrote:
Yall such liars. Lol.

You can’t fathom that some of us are not obsessed with having babies?

amother
Bellflower

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 11:15 am
I'm the type of person who didn't notice when my neighbor who I see all the time was 7 months pregnant, or when my laser lady was pregnant either ( she's always sitting)
I'm currently in early pregnancy, and hyper aware of my body, and if people are looking at me- (I'm married a year)
My best friend and sister just told me last week their pregnant, and said I thought you totally knew, no, I did not know, I'm not analyzing your bra size or stomach size, or thinking if you decided you wanted another baby. It's one of those things I'm just so not intuned with.
Now though, I will honestly say, I'm going to be looking at their stomachs and see "progress "
Their due January, February and me end of March.
My sister just "popped" and now it's really noticeable, I'm just wondering if I'll carry more like her 🤷‍♀️ ( I KNOW each person carries differently, but yes honest, I will be looking)

amother
  Opal

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 11:26 am
amother Bellflower wrote:
I'm the type of person who didn't notice when my neighbor who I see all the time was 7 months pregnant, or when my laser lady was pregnant either ( she's always sitting)
I'm currently in early pregnancy, and hyper aware of my body, and if people are looking at me- (I'm married a year)
My best friend and sister just told me last week their pregnant, and said I thought you totally knew, no, I did not know, I'm not analyzing your bra size or stomach size, or thinking if you decided you wanted another baby. It's one of those things I'm just so not intuned with.
Now though, I will honestly say, I'm going to be looking at their stomachs and see "progress "
Their due January, February and me end of March.
My sister just "popped" and now it's really noticeable, I'm just wondering if I'll carry more like her 🤷‍♀️ ( I KNOW each person carries differently, but yes honest, I will be looking)

Mazel tov 😅😊🇮🇱❤️

amother
  Chartreuse

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 11:47 am
amother Khaki wrote:
You can’t fathom that some of us are not obsessed with having babies?

Na. I'm sure some people don't notice.

But the reality is, most women do notice (even if they don't care perse) and this thread is a humble brag of being so above it all and so mature and I'm calling BS. I'm not saying we all stare and analyze bellies all day but a quick glance or noticing when someone enters the room if they are showing is not exactly rude. It's just life. Be honest that's all.

People notice clothing, makeup, handbags, jewelry, braces, shaitels, casts, glasses, weight gain, weight loss, if someone is under the weather, etc. All of the sudden we pretending we don't notice baby bumps? Come on...be real.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette