Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
S/o How do you leave your airbnb?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

How do you leave your Airbnb/vacation rental?
Spotless clean, exactly how I got it  
 21%  [ 64 ]
Medium clean, I make the beds but don’t sweep the floors  
 18%  [ 55 ]
Visibly clean but I don’t make the beds  
 46%  [ 138 ]
We pack up and leave, there’s a cleaning fee for a reason  
 13%  [ 41 ]
Total Votes : 298

amother
Peru

Post Sat, Aug 31 2024, 10:55 pm
To everyone that cleans up their airbnd, do you do the same when you stay in hotels??
I've never stayed at an airbnb only once we rented a frum shabbos house. there we cleaned all the food out and wiped down the counters and put all the toys back but that's it. I mean, that is what the cleaning fee to pay a cleaning crew is for. why would you wipe down toilets and sweep the floor ?

amother
Red  

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 9:07 am
We generally follow the checkout instructions. We've never been asked to do anything ridiculous like washing windows as someone posted above. At most we've been asked to take out the garbage, sweep the floors, strip the beds and put the linen and used towels in the laundry room. Last week we stayed in an Airbnb that left no instructions so we left the beds and towels as is, took out the garbage, and left. I'm definitely not going to spend any time cleaning that I don't have to if I'm paying a cleaning fee. But we're also on top of things while we're there so there isn't much of a mess to clean up. They still need to deep clean between renters.

amother
  Buttercup  

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 9:21 am
amother Camellia wrote:
I stayed in a place in Switzerland where the owners only left like 2 special garbage bags for throwing out the garbage. And we stayed foe a week as a big family. Since we left a generous cleaning fee, we didn’t bother to buy more of expensive garbage bags. We left the garbage in regular plastic bags for the cleaners to repack them. My dh explicitly stated it was a chutzpah to expect us to buy more bags.
It turned out that there is insider knowledge that you are supposed to sweep the house before cleaning and purchase the special bags yourself. So we got a bad review

While I don’t think it’s fair to get a bad review if there weren’t specific instructions about the garbage, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to have to buy more garbage bags when you’re staying somewhere for a week.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 9:26 am
We stay in airbnbs often. We leave them spotless: take out all garbage, strip beds, sweep, wash counters- everything. Yes, there is a cleaning fee but we have excellent reviews as guests for a reason....

ittsamother  

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 10:36 am
amother Hotpink wrote:
We stay in airbnbs often. We leave them spotless: take out all garbage, strip beds, sweep, wash counters- everything. Yes, there is a cleaning fee but we have excellent reviews as guests for a reason....

So then how do you explain those of us who never do that and still have excellent reviews?

As I said above we leave it visually clean and things where they belong but we don't bother to make beds, sweep more than very visual dirt, mop, etc, and we still get excellent reviews every time.

Ema of 5  

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 10:59 am
amother OP wrote:
The other thread regarding damages in an Airbnb got me curious how people leave the rental after they leave..

Somewhere between spotless and unswept. We leave it as clean as we can. Floors swept, beds made, towels and garbage where they tell us. I’m sure it’s not perfect.

Ema of 5  

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 11:02 am
amother Purple wrote:
One of the reasons we rather go with hotels than airbnb is after the amou t they make you clean up it is just not worth it for us. And that's with ridiculous cleaning fees as well.

If I need to wash the linens and towels, all the floors make sure the place is absolutely perfect It's not much of a vacation

We have been staying in airbnbs, in multiple states, for many years, and I have never had to wash linen or towels. I, for myself, expect to leave the place neat-ish. I do the same in a hotel- I clean up our garbage, put away anything my kids may have taken out, put all the towels in the bathroom….its been a while since we’ve stayed in a hotel, I don’t remember if I make the beds or not.

Ema of 5  

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 11:04 am
amother Ivory wrote:
If there’s a cleaning fee, I do nothing. Obviously I’m not a slob and I won’t leave food around the house or on the counters, everything will be in the garbage. But I’m not making beds or sweeping or taking garbage outside

I’m surprised so many people clean when they also pay someone else to clean

How is a cleaning crew coming in after me different than my cleaning lady coming? I sweep and clean as needed, even though she comes.

amother
Seashell  

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 11:19 am
amother Camellia wrote:
I stayed in a place in Switzerland where the owners only left like 2 special garbage bags for throwing out the garbage. And we stayed foe a week as a big family. Since we left a generous cleaning fee, we didn’t bother to buy more of expensive garbage bags. We left the garbage in regular plastic bags for the cleaners to repack them. My dh explicitly stated it was a chutzpah to expect us to buy more bags.
It turned out that there is insider knowledge that you are supposed to sweep the house before cleaning and purchase the special bags yourself. So we got a bad review

Yeah, and that's why people in Switzerland don't like renting to Jews. Everyone in the entire country uses special garbage bags and you should have bought some in the post office or supermarket. The chutzpah was on your part for acting so entitled.

Re the sweeping, the owner/agent should have told you. We are asked to strip the beds, remove our trash and take along all leftover food. My kids insist on vacuuming too and I clean the bathroom and kitchen so they don't look off-putting. Also, because we would like to be able to rent the apartment the next year too.

People are so strange, though. Someone in our building this summer was furious because the stove in her flat was induction and the pots she brought along didn't work on it. She said she was going to dock some of the rent. Is it the owner's fault that her pots don't work? He provided an entire set of induction-compatible pots- if you want to keep kosher, that's on you.

amother
NeonGreen  

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 12:57 pm
The norm is to throw out garbage - throw out or take food from the refrigerator.

Sometimes a good host will leave a request like strip the beds.

Other than that, the cleaners are the ones who are sweeping, vacuuming, washing etc. and typically a good cleaning crew (and host) will clean much more thoroughly than a regular cleaning lady for your home because people don't want other's "ick".

Of course if you are a completely messy person, normal levels of cleaning should be used - e.g. no dirty counters or visible excrement or urine in the bathrooms.

amother
Stonewash  

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 1:10 pm
amother NeonGreen wrote:
The norm is to throw out garbage - throw out or take food from the refrigerator.

Sometimes a good host will leave a request like strip the beds.

Other than that, the cleaners are the ones who are sweeping, vacuuming, washing etc. and typically a good cleaning crew (and host) will clean much more thoroughly than a regular cleaning lady for your home because people don't want other's "ick".

Of course if you are a completely messy person, normal levels of cleaning should be used - e.g. no dirty counters or visible excrement or urine in the bathrooms.
why does a good host ask for the beds to be stripped?

amother
  Stonewash

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 1:11 pm
amother Seashell wrote:
Yeah, and that's why people in Switzerland don't like renting to Jews. Everyone in the entire country uses special garbage bags and you should have bought some in the post office or supermarket. The chutzpah was on your part for acting so entitled.

Re the sweeping, the owner/agent should have told you. We are asked to strip the beds, remove our trash and take along all leftover food. My kids insist on vacuuming too and I clean the bathroom and kitchen so they don't look off-putting. Also, because we would like to be able to rent the apartment the next year too.

People are so strange, though. Someone in our building this summer was furious because the stove in her flat was induction and the pots she brought along didn't work on it. She said she was going to dock some of the rent. Is it the owner's fault that her pots don't work? He provided an entire set of induction-compatible pots- if you want to keep kosher, that's on you.

Why wouldn’t the hosts buy enough of the bags? How is a traveler supposed to know this? :/

amother
  NeonGreen  

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 1:13 pm
amother Stonewash wrote:
why does a good host ask for the beds to be stripped?

I meant "good" in the context of not being an unreasonable request as I have seen posts of some crazy requests by hosts.

Unreasonable would be requesting that items be put into washing machine for example. Most good hosts have spare linens and so they don't need to wash and put the linens back on the beds immediately.

amother
  NeonGreen  

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 1:18 pm
amother Stonewash wrote:
Why wouldn’t the hosts buy enough of the bags? How is a traveler supposed to know this? :/

Because they are leaving what they expect to be the amount needed for a typical stay.

There are often thefts by people of supplies so many hosts (not just in Switzerland and with bags) don't want to leave an unlimited amount of Tide pods or equivalent items because some people would literally take the entire supply that is there.

With the bags some people would take the bags home with them.

Also in this specific scenario the OP was aware that there were special expensive garbage bags that needed to be used and expected the cleaners to rebag the garbage - that is a pretty disgusting expectation. They just didn't want to spend the money for the more expensive bags - it wasn't lack of knowledge but cheapness and entitlement.

I could never imagine a scenario where I expected ANYONE to rebag my garbage.

ittsamother  

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 1:18 pm
amother Stonewash wrote:

Yeah that was my question. If a guest is staying for a week, the host should make sure there's enough of these specialty bags there to cover that length of time. Same way if ten people are staying you don't only provide 4 towels. The Airbnb should provide the needs of the guests.

ETA Also, as a stranger visiting for one week, I wouldn't even begin to know where I'm supposed to go buy these specialty bags, if I even knew that I'm meant to go buy them at all- which she said was an unwritten rule she only found out afterwards. I'm not saying the host needs to leave the full box but at least 1 per day or every other day.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 1:25 pm
amother NeonGreen wrote:
Because they are leaving what they expect to be the amount needed for a typical stay.

There are often thefts by people of supplies so many hosts (not just in Switzerland and with bags) don't want to leave an unlimited amount of Tide pods or equivalent items because some people would literally take the entire supply that is there.

With the bags some people would take the bags home with them.

Also in this specific scenario the OP was aware that there were special expensive garbage bags that needed to be used and expected the cleaners to rebag the garbage - that is a pretty disgusting expectation. They just didn't want to spend the money for the more expensive bags - it wasn't lack of knowledge but cheapness and entitlement.

I could never imagine a scenario where I expected ANYONE to rebag my garbage.

J really think you are being unfairly harsh to this poster. Sounds like a cultural expectation that she wasnt aware of. If owner rents to foreigners a lot they should specify these things in the instructions.

amother
  NeonGreen

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 1:35 pm
amother Amethyst wrote:
J really think you are being unfairly harsh to this poster. Sounds like a cultural expectation that she wasnt aware of. If owner rents to foreigners a lot they should specify these things in the instructions.

Read her post.

She was aware that the special bags were needed for garbage but didn’t want to send the money so she used cheaper bags knowing someone would have to transfer her garbage to the other bags.

This was deliberate since she knew the requirement and didn’t want to spend the money.

amother
  Seashell  

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 2:10 pm
amother Stonewash wrote:

You can see that they're special bags and if you don't know where to get more, you can ask the owner or agent or other people staying in your area. (Our agent leaves a note with instructions about how to leave the apartment and also tells you where to get more bags.)

The same way they don't leave you a week's supply of salt, sugar and spices or all the aluminum foil and toilet paper you need, they don't leave a week's supply of garbage bags. Actually, it's quite generous to leave two bags. The bags are fairly expensive - over $2 apiece.

amother
Magnolia

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 2:20 pm
Also Jewish guests tend to have lots more trash. Lots of kids. Disposables. Large Shabbos meals. Less eating out. Etc.

amother
  Seashell  

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 2:32 pm
These flats are for people who want to save money by avoiding hotels. This means they understand that they have to fend for themselves. Just as they shouldn't expect their host to provide them with food, they shouldn't expect toiletries, hygiene articles or garbage bags. Whatever you do get is icing on the cake. The host will supply a couple of rolls of TP and garbage bags, or some dishwasher tabs, because they know it might take a day or two for you to orient yourself. But they're not going to give a week or ten day supply of anything.

If you are coming from a different country, it behooves you to find out what the expectations are in this country before you book your flat and arrive.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics