Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
S/o How do you leave your airbnb?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

How do you leave your Airbnb/vacation rental?
Spotless clean, exactly how I got it  
 21%  [ 64 ]
Medium clean, I make the beds but don’t sweep the floors  
 18%  [ 55 ]
Visibly clean but I don’t make the beds  
 46%  [ 138 ]
We pack up and leave, there’s a cleaning fee for a reason  
 13%  [ 41 ]
Total Votes : 298

ittsamother

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 3:12 pm
I have never been to an Airbnb that didn't include bare bones basics like garbage bags. I have never had a place require us to buy garbage bags. They almost always include things like paper towels too, but even that I wouldn't necessarily expect. But a garbage bag? I would never think I needed to supply garbage bags.
And even if I had thought to bring along garbage bags, I wouldn't have thought to buy some special type. The owner rly needed to be very clear about that upfront.

amother
  Seashell  

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 3:21 pm
They were supplied with two garbage bags for a start. How long does it take to find out where to get more such bags?

amother
  OP

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 4:39 pm
We leave the Airbnb in perfect condition when we leave, I know I don’t need to but I can’t bring myself to leave a mess or unmade beds…last time we got one sheet a little dirty, I washed it to make sure it’ll come out, I was embarrassed though to tell the host that I washed it so they probably rewashed it… but I did tell the host that I placed the dirty towels in the hamper and the ones hanging in the bathrooms are untouched, don’t need if he did or didn’t wash it

Actually at one Jewish place we once went we didn’t get the best attitude from the hosts, we left the cottage perfectly clean but didn’t make the beds, it was complicated not pretty linen

We usually empty out a cabinet for our food and kosher utensils, before I move anything I take pictures so I can put everything back exactly where it was

I definitely feel like it’s not fair that I need to pay a cleaning fee while there’s minimal work after we leave but I still can’t bring myself to leave the place not perfect..

shofar

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 8:15 pm
We just got a bad review since they said there were some stains on the rug etc and the toilet wasn't clean. We stayed there for a week with a big family and paid them a lot along with a cleaning fee. We did clean up for a long time before we left. Oh well

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 8:50 pm
amother Buttercup wrote:
I’m truly curious why you would make the beds, or even sweep. They’re going to wash all the linens and the floors (hopefully). So what’s the point?! Plus as others have mentioned you’re literally paying a cleaning fee.

The general rule is to leave it broom clean. I also sweep, make the beds, take out the garbage, and leave it the way I found it. I do not wash the linen or mop or scrub.

amother
Impatiens  

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 8:59 pm
amother Natural wrote:
The general rule is to leave it broom clean. I also sweep, make the beds, take out the garbage, and leave it the way I found it. I do not wash the linen or mop or scrub.

Really? I've stayed in many Airbnb and none of them ever requested broom clean when there's literally a cleaning crew coming in right after I check out. They usually have a specific list which I follow. Sometimes they want me to wash the towels, sometimes they want them left on the main floor. Usually they ask for the dishwasher to be loaded and started (not relevant obviously). Definitely for garbage to be taken out to the bins. Whatever their checkout instructions are, follow them and you should be fine. You can make the beds if it makes you happy, but the cleaning crew is stripping the beds anyway.

amother
Outerspace

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 10:02 pm
I just left an Airbnb, when we got here the trash was full (it was kosher brands, so I figured a frum person before me, but why the cleaning lady missed it is another question) I didn’t tell the host cuz what’s the point….
I swiffered the floor since I have a crawling baby and wanted to make sure it’s clean, you should have seen how dirty it was. I had to swiffer it 4 times! Until the swiffer pads came clean. The sink was coated with a film, the bathtub was grimy. I found a dried out lens on the dresser in my room. So I spent the first night here using lysol wipes on every surface, and washing every floor. Now that it’s time to leave, I feel that I’m leaving it cleaner than I found it.

amother
  Red

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 11:33 pm
I don't understand why people are making the beds. If you must do something bed related to clean up before you leave, then you're better off stripping the beds. That's actually helpful. Making the beds just makes more work for the cleaning crew, especially if you haven't used all the beds in the house and it's not clear which ones have been used and which haven't.

amother
Molasses

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 11:43 pm
We do what they ask us to unless it’s over the top

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 11:48 pm
I checked spotless bec I sweep, wipe down counters.

But I don’t clean the bathrooms so it’s not really spotless

I don’t make the beds do neatly. I want them to realize the linen is used.

I’m in a Jewish owned home right now. They didn’t supply anything at all - no garbage bags, dish soaps, paper towels, toilet paper, toiletries. Nothing.

Ema of 5  

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 11:56 pm
amother NeonGreen wrote:
Because they are leaving what they expect to be the amount needed for a typical stay.

There are often thefts by people of supplies so many hosts (not just in Switzerland and with bags) don't want to leave an unlimited amount of Tide pods or equivalent items because some people would literally take the entire supply that is there.

With the bags some people would take the bags home with them.

Also in this specific scenario the OP was aware that there were special expensive garbage bags that needed to be used and expected the cleaners to rebag the garbage - that is a pretty disgusting expectation. They just didn't want to spend the money for the more expensive bags - it wasn't lack of knowledge but cheapness and entitlement.

I could never imagine a scenario where I expected ANYONE to rebag my garbage.

I’m sorry, but 4 13 gal garbage bags is not reasonable for 7 people for a week. That’s not even enough for one bag per day. I always take extra with me, or buy when I get to where we are staying.

Ema of 5  

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 12:00 am
amother Impatiens wrote:
Really? I've stayed in many Airbnb and none of them ever requested broom clean when there's literally a cleaning crew coming in right after I check out. They usually have a specific list which I follow. Sometimes they want me to wash the towels, sometimes they want them left on the main floor. Usually they ask for the dishwasher to be loaded and started (not relevant obviously). Definitely for garbage to be taken out to the bins. Whatever their checkout instructions are, follow them and you should be fine. You can make the beds if it makes you happy, but the cleaning crew is stripping the beds anyway.

If your toddler crushes pretzels all over your kitchen (or living room or dining room) floor and you know your cleaning lady will be there in a few hours, do you clean it up or leave it for her?

amother
  Buttercup  

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 7:48 am
amother Seashell wrote:
You can see that they're special bags and if you don't know where to get more, you can ask the owner or agent or other people staying in your area. (Our agent leaves a note with instructions about how to leave the apartment and also tells you where to get more bags.)

The same way they don't leave you a week's supply of salt, sugar and spices or all the aluminum foil and toilet paper you need, they don't leave a week's supply of garbage bags. Actually, it's quite generous to leave two bags. The bags are fairly expensive - over $2 apiece.

So curious what are these bags and why are there special bags that must be used? And why are they so expensive?

amother
  Buttercup

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 7:48 am
Ema of 5 wrote:
If your toddler crushes pretzels all over your kitchen (or living room or dining room) floor and you know your cleaning lady will be there in a few hours, do you clean it up or leave it for her?

I leave it for her. That’s what I’m paying her for!

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 8:34 am
amother Buttercup wrote:
I leave it for her. That’s what I’m paying her for!

I guess that’s the difference.

kenz

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 8:40 am
amother Outerspace wrote:
I just left an Airbnb, when we got here the trash was full (it was kosher brands, so I figured a frum person before me, but why the cleaning lady missed it is another question) I didn’t tell the host cuz what’s the point….
I swiffered the floor since I have a crawling baby and wanted to make sure it’s clean, you should have seen how dirty it was. I had to swiffer it 4 times! Until the swiffer pads came clean. The sink was coated with a film, the bathtub was grimy. I found a dried out lens on the dresser in my room. So I spent the first night here using lysol wipes on every surface, and washing every floor. Now that it’s time to leave, I feel that I’m leaving it cleaner than I found it.

Sounds like it wasn’t actually cleaned between guests 😳

amother
  Seashell

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 9:10 am
amother Buttercup wrote:
So curious what are these bags and why are there special bags that must be used? And why are they so expensive?

Instead of having a general trash removal tax to pay for garbage pickup, the idea is that people should pay for trash removal according to the amount of garbage they generate. People who produce more garbage pay more; those who produce less pay less.

So every municipality issues its own trash bags, in three sizes (15 liter, 35 liter and 110 liter), usually in rolls of ten, and charges according to what they decide it costs them to deal with that amount of garbage.

There's no recycling requirement in most places, btw. If you want to fill your expensive bags with bottles and newspapers, go ahead. But you're paying for it. You can recycle for free, but you don't get fined if you don't. You only get fined for using the wrong bags. Of course, most people do recycle because it saves them a lot of money.

I actually think it's a pretty smart idea.

amother
Brass

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 12:56 pm
We checked out 11:40 instead of 11:00 because I swept the cereal on the floor and put the towels in the bathroom and put the pillows on the beds and put dirty tissues in the bathroom garbage and turned off the lights and air conditioning

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 4:57 pm
amother Brass wrote:
We checked out 11:40 instead of 11:00 because I swept the cereal on the floor and put the towels in the bathroom and put the pillows on the beds and put dirty tissues in the bathroom garbage and turned off the lights and air conditioning

We left at 12:15 instead of 12:00 because we were loading the car.

amother
  Impatiens

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 5:00 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:

If I'm running out the door I'll leave it. If I'm home I'll clean it up. I do the same on vacation. I clean up as long as I'm staying there, but I'm not going to clean up the breakfast crumbs when I'm leaving and the cleaners are around the corner.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics