Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info
What to pack/not pack for seminary? Any tips?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
  Tan

Post Sun, Aug 25 2024, 5:20 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Question: Are the girls not allowed to do shopping on their own? Why do they need a delivery to the sem? IMHO you bring one new bottle of shampoo with you and when it's running out you go to Superpharm or a supermarket.

Yea they can - shampoo can just spill and takes up lots of precious luggage weight

amother
  OP

Post Sun, Aug 25 2024, 5:41 pm
I agree. I find it to be a waste of space when packing for an entire year; I would much rather use every pound for clothing and shoes rather than shampoo. Yes, girls are allowed to go shopping on their own, but when they first get there, I'm sure they are very jet-lagged, don't have a working phone, don't know how to get around, don't have a bus pass, and don't know where stores are—I didn't have a store within walking distance. As a mother, I think the point is that they should feel cared about when they first get there and are overwhelmed with the new place, new people, new everything. Something like this is definitely worthwhile! I really don't think it's that expensive for what it is overall. I'd want to send a care package anyway, and instead of sending chocolate, which she probably doesn't need (at least not the first day like she'll need toiletries), why not send her that same feeling but also something she needs? Everyone has their priorities... I would rather spend money on something like this rather than $80 for a box of chocolates.

unpaid ad removed

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Sun, Aug 25 2024, 5:58 pm
amother OP wrote:
I agree. I find it to be a waste of space when packing for an entire year; I would much rather use every pound for clothing and shoes rather than shampoo. Yes, girls are allowed to go shopping on their own, but when they first get there, I'm sure they are very jet-lagged, don't have a working phone, don't know how to get around, don't have a bus pass, and don't know where stores are—I didn't have a store within walking distance. As a mother, I think the point is that they should feel cared about when they first get there and are overwhelmed with the new place, new people, new everything. Something like this is definitely worthwhile! I really don't think it's that expensive for what it is overall. I'd want to send a care package anyway, and instead of sending chocolate, which she probably doesn't need (at least not the first day like she'll need toiletries), why not send her that same feeling but also something she needs? Everyone has their priorities... I would rather spend money on something like this rather than $80 for a box of chocolates. [unpaid ad removed]

I think you have to know your daughter, some need that level of pampering, some need the self confidence of figuring it out themselves then showing others how it's done ( where to find the supermarket and pharmacy, how to get around safely etc.)
And some turn to the madrichot.

In the end they all manage. It's the how, that is individual. For you it's worth the added expense.

Petra

Post Sun, Aug 25 2024, 6:30 pm
For my DD I ordered bedding and initial toiletries from Blanket express including tiered skirt hangers and plastic storage drawers.

She will need an outlet converter.

A pair of boots for rain.

Light winter coat.

A pair of everyday shoes, pair of water shoes, hat, swim suit, string bag, shower shoes, laundry bag, shower caddy bag.

4-6 Shabbos outfits.

6-8 regular day outfits.

Couple pairs of sleep wear.

10 pair underwear.

6 bras.

Tights x 7-10. Stockings x 10.

Sunscreen.

A big bottle of ibuprofen (if she needs).

A pair of light colored Shabbos shoes and a dark pair.

Hair brush.

Light waterproof jacket.

A couple of hoodies.

Slippers.

Credit card for emergencies. Debit card like Capital One 360 for allowance.

Get the space bags to pack everything in tight.

And you will need a luggage scale ro make sure bags are 50 lbs or less.

amother
Cadetblue

Post Sun, Aug 25 2024, 6:41 pm
amother OP wrote:
I agree. I find it to be a waste of space when packing for an entire year; I would much rather use every pound for clothing and shoes rather than shampoo. Yes, girls are allowed to go shopping on their own, but when they first get there, I'm sure they are very jet-lagged, don't have a working phone, don't know how to get around, don't have a bus pass, and don't know where stores are—I didn't have a store within walking distance. As a mother, I think the point is that they should feel cared about when they first get there and are overwhelmed with the new place, new people, new everything. Something like this is definitely worthwhile! I really don't think it's that expensive for what it is overall. I'd want to send a care package anyway, and instead of sending chocolate, which she probably doesn't need (at least not the first day like she'll need toiletries), why not send her that same feeling but also something she needs? Everyone has their priorities... I would rather spend money on something like this rather than $80 for a box of chocolates. I ordered with [unpaid ad removed]

Sorry but this reads like an ad.

Ruchel  

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 5:16 am
Some shampoo isn't a hug from home lol
Send her a card with a note from everyone

amother
  Antiquewhite  

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 5:26 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Pads for a while year? Excuse me but that is ridiculous. Why shlepp pads from the US when you can get them here?

You're excused.

1. I like the american brands better and they are super expensive here. I've been living here for years and still bring or buy from amazon .
I've bought Israeli brands in a pinch and they are gross. Excuse me.

2. They take up almost no weight.
Anyone that knows how to pack well knows that you can fit almost everything you need into the suitcase it's the weight that's an issue.

3. Speaking as someone that dormed it's more comfortable to have that then to need to run out.

No need to be rude. I have a perfectly valid opinion.

amother
  Antiquewhite  

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 5:28 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
I chime in
Ridiculous expensive. Any supermarket will be cheaper than this.
I don't get why it's necessary to get the stuff sent to the sem. Why can't them to shopping themselves?

Again, speaking as a girl that did go to sem here. It is very disorienting landing in a new country, new dorm, new school, new people.
BH she has a mother like OP that will help her get over that initial discomfort without having to go buy shampoo and toothpaste that first night!

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 5:39 am
amother Antiquewhite wrote:
You're excused.

1. I like the american brands better and they are super expensive here. I've been living here for years and still bring or buy from amazon .
I've bought Israeli brands in a pinch and they are gross. Excuse me.

2. They take up almost no weight.
Anyone that knows how to pack well knows that you can fit almost everything you need into the suitcase it's the weight that's an issue.

3. Speaking as someone that dormed it's more comfortable to have that then to need to run out.

No need to be rude. I have a perfectly valid opinion.

I can understand to bring supply for a whole year if the price is much cheaper and if one is picky. But to schlep stam XYZ like there are no shops over here, is it really necessary?

amother
Rainbow

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 6:34 am
Did you pay for a third piece of luggage? Is that a necessity?

amother
  Antiquewhite

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 9:01 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
I can understand to bring supply for a whole year if the price is much cheaper and if one is picky. But to schlep stam XYZ like there are no shops over here, is it really necessary?

That's my advice. Most americans that I know don't like the brands here.
Even the parts of my life that I've adapted to Israeli style I still have the ability to understand Americans and what parts of Israel are harder for them to change.

amother
Mocha  

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 11:06 am
Petra wrote:
For my DD I ordered bedding and initial toiletries from Blanket express including tiered skirt hangers and plastic storage drawers.

She will need an outlet converter.

A pair of boots for rain.

Light winter coat.

A pair of everyday shoes, pair of water shoes, hat, swim suit, string bag, shower shoes, laundry bag, shower caddy bag.

4-6 Shabbos outfits.

6-8 regular day outfits.

Couple pairs of sleep wear.

10 pair underwear.

6 bras.

Tights x 7-10. Stockings x 10.

Sunscreen.

A big bottle of ibuprofen (if she needs).

A pair of light colored Shabbos shoes and a dark pair.

Hair brush.

Light waterproof jacket.

A couple of hoodies.

Slippers.

Credit card for emergencies. Debit card like Capital One 360 for allowance.

Get the space bags to pack everything in tight.

And you will need a luggage scale ro make sure bags are 50 lbs or less.

This is a great list. thank you. many of the lists have so many items!
Did you send sneakers for hikes? what type? how many school/regular shoes? DD was told by a friend that she should bring loafers, two different weekday sneakers, and a summer loafer - sounds like a lot to me!
For a girl wearing dickies and not full shirts, how many sweaters/black tees for on top?

m987

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 11:30 am
When I went to seminary I brought travel size of shampoo conditioner etc and then had a few days to get it together and go buy
It was part of the fun I went with a bunch of girls to superpharm and smelled every shampoo with seven year old children offering their opinions. Did not feel neglected at all and would not expect a delivery

Ruchel

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 1:43 pm
amother Mocha wrote:
This is a great list. thank you. many of the lists have so many items!
Did you send sneakers for hikes? what type? how many school/regular shoes? DD was told by a friend that she should bring loafers, two different weekday sneakers, and a summer loafer - sounds like a lot to me!
For a girl wearing dickies and not full shirts, how many sweaters/black tees for on top?
summer loafer? I don't even know what it is

amother
  Mocha

Post Tue, Aug 27 2024, 8:41 am
Ruchel wrote:
summer loafer? I don't even know what it is

a light color loafer or similar shoe worn in the summer as opposed to a dark colored one for winter
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info