Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Money is not = across the board

amother
OP  

Post Fri, Aug 23 2024, 11:15 am
I just want to open the conversation about something I've been seeing lately.

Someone will post on a salary thread that she makes x and lives in X community.
Someone else will say, well I make xxxxxx doing the same thing as you. (lives in Y)

What!?!

I/You are so underpaid! Ask for more!! Even my friend's sister's dog makes more than that!

Or another example:

Someone says she bought a house for AAA, in A community.
SOmeone else says, well, why did you buy such an expensive house? I bought for A, living in B community.

Another one-

I spend ___ on clothing, living in ___.
Well, I spend _ on clothing.....

Can we just acknowledge that DIFFERENT PLACES HAVE DIFFERENT 'CONVERSION RATES' OR INFLATION RATES!!!

Yes, a secretary can make a very respectable $30 in one place, while in another, the standard of living is completely different, and the salaries are completely different.

Out of town does tend to be much much cheaper in terms of housing, shopping, and sometimes tuiton, and yes, salaries.

In town tends to have much more expensive housing, expenses, and yes, higher salaries.

Lets not be jealous or feel bad for ourselves, please.

amother
Daisy

Post Fri, Aug 23 2024, 11:20 am
To further take your point, someone will post that they are making a (relatively) large amount of money a year and still not covering. Posters will start yelling, why are you still living In such an expensive community where you cant even afford life on such a large salary, move out of town.
If they move out of town they will most likely not be making that salary

amother
  OP

Post Fri, Aug 23 2024, 12:31 pm
amother Daisy wrote:
To further take your point, someone will post that they are making a (relatively) large amount of money a year and still not covering. Posters will start yelling, why are you still living In such an expensive community where you cant even afford life on such a large salary, move out of town.
If they move out of town they will most likely not be making that salary

EXACTLY!

amother
Lemon

Post Fri, Aug 23 2024, 1:00 pm
People who never lived out of town don’t seem to realize that it doesn’t mean cheaper. Many communities that are considered OOT for frum people are in actuality large American cities with slightly cheaper houses than NYC, lower salaries, and more expensive food, tuition, travel costs etc. I’m from Toronto originally where houses are more expensive and salaries are way lower than many in town places. None of my classmates live there unless they are forced to due to lacking American citizenship as there isn’t much of a future for young families unless they come from enormous wealth.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics