Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Chosson album - do you like receiving it?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 2:07 pm
Not only didn't I get one, I could barely collect 10 pictures of my husband for my wedding video. My mom in law never followed the rules. Regardless she never valued pictures. It's upsetting not to be able to compare my kids to hers... she has 1 flying box of random pix and she has no clue who is who.

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 2:08 pm
amother Snowflake wrote:
Hate to break it to you but they're more than $200. More like $4-500.
I think it's very expensive but very much appreciated. It's your husbands childhood in one convenient book.
And for most mothers it's not fun to make. It's a huge pressure and expense.

Everyone who commented that they love the album loves it to see the photos, show their kids, etc. My husband's childhood can be in one convenient book made on snapfish for under $50. Why is this hundreds?

So the next question - ladies who've received one, would you be just as happy with a $50 snapfish album? Or even a regular photo album from Amazon?

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 2:11 pm
amother Snowflake wrote:
Hate to break it to you but they're more than $200. More like $4-500.
I think it's very expensive but very much appreciated. It's your husbands childhood in one convenient book.
And for most mothers it's not fun to make. It's a huge pressure and expense.

Seriously? How is an album of baby pictures so much?

This isn’t done in my circles.

metz

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 2:21 pm
amother Sienna wrote:
Seriously? How is an album of baby pictures so much?

This isn’t done in my circles.

Now u make leather covers with flat thick pages...

amother
  OP

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 2:22 pm
metz wrote:
Now u make leather covers with flat thick pages...

Then it's not about the photos. It's about spending money on yet another thing.

BusyBoys

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 2:26 pm
amother OP wrote:
Everyone who commented that they love the album loves it to see the photos, show their kids, etc. My husband's childhood can be in one convenient book made on snapfish for under $50. Why is this hundreds?

So the next question - ladies who've received one, would you be just as happy with a $50 snapfish album? Or even a regular photo album from Amazon?

I got one, love looking at it, kids love looking through it..

My in laws made it as a scrapbook- all my sis in laws had a hand in it. It’s a masterpiece and cost a few dollars

amother
Bergamot  

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 2:27 pm
It was very meaningful for me. I wish I had one of myself (my parents rarely took photos).

The one I got is a snap fish type photo book. People pay someone to put it together for them because it takes lots of time.

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 2:29 pm
This is not done in my circles.
I think this is done in chassidish circles where the engagement is 6-9 months of no contact between the two.
From what I understand, the engagement months are filled with nothing happening between the two sides aside from giving lots of gifts.
In my world, the engament is 2-3 months, in which the chosson and kalla meet frequently.
I dont have extra headspace or money for these types of gifts. What is expected is more than enough.
That being said, I think it's a cute idea, and if mom of the boy has the time to put it together, great.

amother
  Bergamot

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 2:29 pm
amother OP wrote:
Then it's not about the photos. It's about spending money on yet another thing.

It can be very cheap if you put it together yourself, & it's more meaningful than lots of other more expensive gifts. My kids are teens & we still enjoy it.

amother
Kiwi

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 2:30 pm
I never heard of this concept. Do they also make kalla albums to give to the chosson?

Peersupport

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 2:32 pm
I didn't get one but really wanted it.
After I was married I made my own album for him.

Now if only someone would do the same for me 😀
All of my pictures are floating around. It would be nice to have it in one neat album.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 7:52 pm
I got one that my sister-in-law made on a Snapfish-type program. And I made it for my husband's younger brother's kallah.
My mother spent a lot of money for my brother's album but that was because she didn't want to sit and create the pages, not because she wanted a fancy poem or whatever.
It's a very tedious job. And practically impossible when the pictures aren't in albums to begin with.

ETA: I loved my album, looked through it a million times as a kallah and also with my kids. I didn't care that it wasn't a few hundred dollars... who would? The poem was totally not important.

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 9:48 pm
I got a Shutterfly photo book that my husband’s sister made and loved it to pieces. Still do! And now my kids enjoy it too.

amother
Steelblue

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 10:44 pm
I got one. Loved it. Still do. I don't think my MIL paid more than $25.

amother
Tulip

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 10:46 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Wont your kids like to see what their father looked like when he was their age?

Why can't they do that when they go to Bubby's house?

Never even heard of this. Cute idea but honestly for me, storage space and book space are hard to come by. No thanks.

chestnut  

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 11:06 pm
Isn't it done by chassidim?
Just curious, how come it's only a chosson baby album, but not the kallah's?

synthy

Post Thu, Aug 08 2024, 12:32 am
I’m not exaggerating when I say it was my favorite gift! I was on a high for the next few days. But not everyone’s chassan is as cute as mine 😝.

My in laws didn’t spend $200, they gave a cheaper one. It was just as appreciated. We also sent them photos of myself, which they loved too. The girls took it to school to show their friends how cute their kallah is 😂

B'Syata D'Shmya  

Post Thu, Aug 08 2024, 12:37 am
amother OP wrote:
I can see how it would be fun for the mother of the chosson to make an album of her precious son to give to his kallah. But does the kallah like it? I'm interested in hearing from women who've received the gift, not from MILs who gave it and received thanks and compliments from the kallahs.

My MIL has given US pics over the years, just as she was clearing out. I really have no use for them! I've looked through her albums at her house, but why would I want my own? My husband tosses the pics his mother gives us (US, not me).

Do the girls like it?

I made one for my DIL. I put in the cutest pictures to show his personality, not the portrait ones where he was posing. I wanted her to get to know him as a child, his purim costumes, him on wheels, climbing etc.
Of course she says she loved it. We have a great relationship.
Truth is, I had such fun making it, it was as much for me as for her.
It was also my way of sharing his childhood with her.

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Aug 08 2024, 2:40 am
chestnut wrote:
Isn't it done by chassidim?
Just curious, how come it's only a chosson baby album, but not the kallah's?

Photos of a woman? Or even a little girl?
Surely not!!!
How can you even countenance such an idea?!

Hiding LOL Can't Believe It Can't Believe It Hiding

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Aug 08 2024, 10:09 am
Not typical for my community, but did sit down with my future dil to look at photos. She seemed to love looking. Would be happy to make her an album if she wanted one.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics