Post Mon, Aug 05 2024, 10:50 pm
Sunflower seeds
Hemp seeds
Absolute collagen (kosher collagen)

amother
  Pumpkin

Post Tue, Aug 06 2024, 3:09 am
amother Tanzanite wrote:
How do you prepare it? I just bought it, tried it once with just milk and blended in blender. It was nasty. I added ice and crushed it, still nasty. It was so thick and powdery tasting. (I bought the one that doesn't have fake sugars in it but a bit of coconut sugar instead.)
I bought it for myself but also for my very picky 4yr old to try to get some more protein in her. I couldn't even offer it to her it was so bad.
The reviews online were so great I was hopeful.
I'm assuming if I put it into a smoothie it'll mask the powder better but then how many grams will she actually be consuming?

I use the orgain powder in a smoothie for breakfast

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Aug 06 2024, 3:29 am
Tuna steak (more than can) has a ton of protein - sea k sells frozen. 5 oz cooked or baked fresh tuna has 42 grams protein vs a can has 31 grams of protein

The plain Greek yogurts from mehadrin and gevina have a lot of protein

amother
Midnight  

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 9:51 am
I enjoy these protein pancakes for breakfast from Instagram account Danielle the dietician. She has tons of posts about meeting your protein goals with real food v protein shakes etc. can make them night before and reheat.

Super filling and makes a ton. I’m rarely hungry before lunch with these. 33 G protein. No protein powder. It’s a lot of calories and carbs but if it keeps you full until lunch, then it’s worth it to me.

190g of Greek yogurt fat free
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 T sugar free syrup (sold in target and Amazon)
1/2 cup flour
1.5 teasp baking powder
1 large egg

Mix and it will be clumpy. Will cook like regular pancakes. Add peanut butter, fruit or whatever toppings you like. Sugar free syrup etc. make sure you track those toppings separately.

423 calories, 63 g carbs, 2g fiber, 6 grams fat, 33 G protein

Also start tracking your food with a food scale and tracking app. You will be amazed at what has a little protein here and there. It really adds up. Ie. Milk in your coffee etc.

Lunch
Mission carb balance tortillas (sold most stores, Costco, target, grocery etc) have 6 grams of protein and 17 grams fiber for 70 calories. You can add 4 slices of low fat cheese (tnuva brand light cheese for 4 slices-240 calories and 32 grams of protein) for a total of 38 grams protein. Add a second tortilla and your at 44 grams protein. Eat it cold or warmed up for an easy lunch. Add veggies or eat on the side.

A goal for fiber will also help you stay full. I was told 30 grams a day is ideal for women.

For lunch/dinner have double helping of protein, fish, chicken, turkey etc.. Should have no problem if you really track and plan. I eat 130 grams a day without protein supplements and still have calories leftover for a daily snack/chocolate.

amother
Camellia

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 10:47 am
Use almond flour to make cookies, pancakes, etc

amother
  OP

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 11:00 am
All the things I look up or people I follow use high protein products like shakes mixed into things or protein pancakes or protein tortillas etc.
Why are there no pas yisroel/cholov yisroel products like these?
I tried one powder that is kosher and it was so horrible tasting I threw it up.
I eat Greek yogurt almost every day for breakfast. Or plain kefir and oatmeal with PB.
Lunch is salad or soup and salmon or tuna or chickpeas or feta and nuts.
Supper is chicken, meat, or cheese and veggies and carb.
Snacks are fruits and nuts.
I'm still having cravings. I'm not sure how else to up my protein?

Do not advise that I remove carbs, that has been proven to work against me or the cravings get worse.

amother
  Midnight

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 11:31 am
I’m sorry it is definitely more of a challenge when keeping cy/py.

A lot of protein snacks and mixes are just marketing. If you look at labels, there are a lot of products with similar nutrients but they just aren’t marketed as protein items.

There is a Pas Yisroel brand slimmers that has tortillas/wraps with 10g protein. 80 calories per wrap. Not sure how much fiber. Check those out in a kosher store.

The real protein will come from what you put in the wrap…cheese, fish, chicken etc.

You can also make a yummy dip with Greek yogurt and onion soup mix and eat with veggies. Reminds me of a sour cream dip without the fat and with the protein of Greek yogurt.

The protein pancake recipe I posted above does not contain any prepackaged mixes…just Greek yogurt, regular flour, egg etc.

Also, regarding the protein powder…it may help if you add milk, fruit, peanut butter, etc to your smoothie with pareve protein powder. The milk and peanut butter add additional protein.

You can do strawberry banana with milk and vanilla pareve protein powder. Berries will give you fiber and keep you full longer. You can also add chia seeds which have fiber and carbs and keep you fuller longer.

I like chocolate banana peanut butter smoothies. Chocolate protein powder , table spoon of cocoa, milk, banana, 1-2 tablespoons of peanut/almond butter and ice. Makes it super creamy and yum.

I agree- I would not cut out carbs. I have had a lot of success with tracking/counting macros. You eat a certain amount of calories, carbs, fat, protein and fiber. I can send you the info of a nutritionist who really helped me or you can probably find something online where you can input your info and it will give you suggested macros. I found it helped me feel full while listing weight. It was not as a drastic as low cal weight loss diets, but it was much more doable long term.

ganmama

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 11:49 am
Example day of high protein could be:
Breakfast 4 egg whites, with 125g low fat cottage cheese (plus veggies) (28g protein, you could add a slice of low fat cheese for another 8g)

Snack: handful of nuts (8g protein), peice of dark chocolate

Lunch: A big salad, with a can of tuna (22-28g protein depending on the size) or with low fat deli meat ~16 G protein per 100g) or low fat cheese like Bulgaria or feta (~18g per 100g)

Second snack: if you didn’t have meat for lunch, a Greek yogurt with some berries (~20g protein)
If you did have meat, some trail mix or veggies with chummus, or roasted chickpeas will all give you about 8g of protein.

For supper chicken, beef, or fish can all help you hit your protein goals. But don’t skip out on legumes, they’re also old for you, and they do have protein in them. If you want to do pasta, sub regular pasta for legume pasta to increase the protein.

I got really into making mug cake with protein powder, but you don’t have to use products to meet your protein goals!
If you do decide to try protein powder Orgain is OU pareve and very tasty!

amother
  Bisque

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 11:53 am
ganmama wrote:
Example day of high protein could be:
Breakfast 4 egg whites, with 125g low fat cottage cheese (plus veggies) (28g protein, you could add a slice of low fat cheese for another 8g)

Snack: handful of nuts (8g protein), peice of dark chocolate

Lunch: A big salad, with a can of tuna (22-28g protein depending on the size) or with low fat deli meat ~16 G protein per 100g) or low fat cheese like Bulgaria or feta (~18g per 100g)

Second snack: if you didn’t have meat for lunch, a Greek yogurt with some berries (~20g protein)
If you did have meat, some trail mix or veggies with chummus, or roasted chickpeas will all give you about 8g of protein.

For supper chicken, beef, or fish can all help you hit your protein goals. But don’t skip out on legumes, they’re also old for you, and they do have protein in them. If you want to do pasta, sub regular pasta for legume pasta to increase the protein.

I got really into making mug cake with protein powder, but you don’t have to use products to meet your protein goals!
If you do decide to try protein powder Orgain is OU pareve and very tasty!

You'd be better off with whole eggs and full fat cheese.

PrairieFairy

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 11:55 am
amother OP wrote:
All the things I look up or people I follow use high protein products like shakes mixed into things or protein pancakes or protein tortillas etc.
I eat Greek yogurt almost every day for breakfast. Or plain kefir and oatmeal with PB.

Do not advise that I remove carbs, that has been proven to work against me or the cravings get worse.

Do you eat OU? Get some PB Powder. It's 6-8g PRO a serving (depending on company). It seems like a little but it is pretty much just protein and nothing else so easy to add to things.

It's peanut butter that had all the fat removed leaving just the powder. You add water and use it wherever you would normally use peanut butter.

Having an apple or banana snack? Make a serving of it and have it with PB powder made peanut butter. Having ice cream? Yogurt? Oatmeal? Cereal and milk? Add in a serving or two of just the powder to it. Benefit of the powder is it will mix in easier than regular peanut butter but not really introducing any new flavors since peanut butter is more or less a staple in many homes!

Mama!

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 12:07 pm
amother OP wrote:

So your question isn’t really how to get protein - that you know. Your question basically is if there are kosher CY protein powders.

There are - and some are actually quite good. Post what you tried being that everyone has their own tastes and pallets…

Or you can just call up your local health food store and ask them what they have.

Side note - maybe try eating a bigger breakfast and lunch and a lighter dinner. Meaning maybe add your carbs to breakfast and cut it by dinner. Might help w cravings.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise