Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
2024 Summer Olympics!
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Elfrida  

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 6:08 am
amother Petunia wrote:
Found it very exciting that an Israeli swimmer made the qualifiers for a women's event. Would love if Israel won gold on something and they played Hatikva, but unaware of any likely gold prospects.

Men's gymnastics. I forgot his name, but he's reigning world champion. The championships took place on October 7th, and he knew what was happening in real time. Then he shut everything out to win for Israel. There are photos of him standing there listening to HaTikvah, with the Israeli flag behind him banded with black.

https://eng.gymnovosti.com/dol.....rael/

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 7:49 am
Mamash avodah zarah

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 8:00 am
Elfrida wrote:
There have been lots of athletes refusing to shake the hands of Israeli competitors, both in this and previous Olympic Games. And considering they were competing in Judo, a dislocated shoulder is a known risk.

So you don't think G-D had anything to do with it? Just a coincidence?

Elfrida

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 8:14 am
amother Papaya wrote:
So you don't think G-D had anything to do with it? Just a coincidence?

If you're believing in Hashem, there's no such thing as coincidence. But an incident like this is pretty high on the scale of expected injuries when competing in a combat sport at this level.

I don't think we can definitely say Hashem was punishing him. And if you want to argue that dislocating his shoulder was a Divine punishment for refusing to shake hands, what do you say about the others who refused to shake hands, and then went in to win their match with no more than normal wear and tear on their muscles?

עולם כמנהגו נוהג

amother
  Forestgreen  

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 8:26 am
sequoia wrote:
Mmm…. do we have such a big problem with the Last Supper being made fun of?

It was disgusting and offensive. Something most people didn’t want to watch - regardless of religion. And what do they have to gain?

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 9:25 am
I watched the replay of the US women's gymnastics qualifying last night after the kiddos were in bed. Wow, so amazing for Jade that she was able to bounce back on vault after that disaster of a floor routine. I think she's qualified for event finals there so hopefully she does well again!

Jordan Chiles did so well, too. What a shame about that 2 per country rule in the AA.

The US men are in the team final today - I'm going to have it on in the background while working! I don't think they are favored for a medal but perhaps they'll surprise everyone.

amother
  Clover  

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 10:17 am
I feel bad for the men's team, 1 guy qualified for finals, I feel like this olympics everyone let everyone down, French we're doing so well past few years, USA men's were stacked, jade had a bad floor Sad and I wanted her to defend her title.
Even caleab dressel men's swimming, only qualified for 1 (or 2?) Individual finals...
I have a soft spot for jade.
and it's annoying when I Google French team to see articels on them only Simone Biles results come up ( yes I've tried incognito mode)
I want to see everyone else. And hear about how their routines went. I'm getting tired of it.

amother
  Clover

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 10:19 am
I had wanted French to win team medal yes, I root for the "underdog" and I feel so bad for Melanie.
And I really want Brazil to medal.

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Jul 30 2024, 7:32 pm
amother Clover wrote:
I had wanted French to win team medal yes, I root for the "underdog" and I feel so bad for Melanie.
And I really want Brazil to medal.

I really enjoyed watching both the men and women team events!

It was great seeing the US men land all their routines and medal.

I was also hoping for Brazil to get a team medal in the women's competition, so happy for them that it happened. I'm amazed by the Brazilian gymnast who fell during warm ups and then competed multiple events with that bandage on her face.

I thought China was a favorite to get silver or bronze in the women's competition but looks like they came 5th? I wonder what happened there. The peacock feed didn't show too many of their routines unfortunately.

On to the AA!

amother
Tangerine  

Post Tue, Jul 30 2024, 8:36 pm
Can someone explain what is the last supper?
I saw a still image and it looks gross but why is it offensive especially to cristians?
Also whats the big deal about cardboard beds amd so therefore no sx?

I hope katie ledecky wins gold, she seems nice and genuine.

amother
  Apricot  

Post Tue, Jul 30 2024, 8:37 pm
how can I watch the women’s gymnastic teams events ty

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Jul 30 2024, 8:58 pm
amother Apricot wrote:
how can I watch the women’s gymnastic teams events ty

If you’re in the US, the Peacock app shows all events live and has replays available to watch later. NBC affiliates also show highlights at night.

amother
  Apricot

Post Tue, Jul 30 2024, 9:24 pm
amother OP wrote:
If you’re in the US, the Peacock app shows all events live and has replays available to watch later. NBC affiliates also show highlights at night.

Is this free?

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Jul 30 2024, 9:36 pm
amother Apricot wrote:
Is this free?

Peacock isn’t free. NBC is free if you have a tv that gets an NBC affiliate station.

amother
  Forestgreen

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 10:56 am
amother Tangerine wrote:
Can someone explain what is the last supper?
I saw a still image and it looks gross but why is it offensive especially to cristians?
Also whats the big deal about cardboard beds amd so therefore no sx?

I hope katie ledecky wins gold, she seems nice and genuine.

The last supper was a painting by da Vinci portraying JC and his disciples (I believe it was actually a pesach Seder).
The opening act at the Olympics parodied the painting with transvestites and scantily clad people acting lewd. Very not family friendly. Definitely offensive to Christians.
I didn’t watch it but gleaning this from a few pictures and comments I saw. I don’t believe that most people expect to or want to see a scene like this when they’re watching the olympics.

amother
  Tangerine

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 11:10 am
amother Forestgreen wrote:
The last supper was a painting by da Vinci portraying JC and his disciples (I believe it was actually a pesach Seder).
The opening act at the Olympics parodied the painting with transvestites and scantily clad people acting lewd. Very not family friendly. Definitely offensive to Christians.
I didn’t watch it but gleaning this from a few pictures and comments I saw. I don’t believe that most people expect to or want to see a scene like this when they’re watching the olympics.

Thanks for explaining, gross and totally inappropriate

amother
Broom  

Post Mon, Aug 05 2024, 11:07 am
Oooy… Simone Biles got humbled quite a bit.

To be clear I have nothing against Simone, she sounds like a nice woman. But it irked me the way she was propped up to be some kind of superhuman, and all the other gymnasts were just stuck in her shadow.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Mon, Aug 05 2024, 11:15 am
Totally a side point but jumped out at me for some reason...
Why are all the women flat chested??

amother
Offwhite

Post Mon, Aug 05 2024, 11:16 am
amother NeonYellow wrote:
Totally a side point but jumped out at me for some reason...
Why are all the women flat chested??

Yea, was wondering the same. Is that a requirement to qualify? Or are they wearing special underwear?

amother
Clematis

Post Mon, Aug 05 2024, 11:17 am
A isreali named Tom won a gold medal in wind surfing Thumbs Up Rolling Laughter Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics