Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Truth or myth - summer vs winter?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 6:32 am
kids grow more during the summer cos more out in the sun and get more vitamin d?

wouldnt people from hot countries be taller than the rest of the world?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 6:50 am
I don't think it's true but even if it was, people would still just grow until they meet their maximum height as destined by genetics.

amother
Molasses

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 6:57 am
My kids eat more in the summer because they aren't rushing back to class. Camp is less stressful. Thus the growing. I have heard that hair grows more in the summer.

tweety1  

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 7:41 am
It's supposed to be true, but with my kids I found they generally grow more over the winter.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 7:58 am
I heard its because they exercise more

amother
Tomato

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 8:09 am
My kids always grow more in the summer. I thought it was more about being active and eating more because they are running outside all day verses winter when they pretty much just sit inside.

Brownies

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 8:15 am
I've noticed that nails grow faster in the summer 🤷‍♀️

Magnolia72

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 11:30 pm
Interest thought...

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 11:38 pm
I've certainly had children grow over summer but I also had a child jump 4 sizes ((just height ) from oct-feb!!
...some children grow when they have a growth sput- usually after you purchase new clothing LOL

tweety1

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 12:17 am
amother Cobalt wrote:
I've certainly had children grow over summer but I also had a child jump 4 sizes ((just height ) from oct-feb!!
...some children grow when they have a growth sput- usually after you purchase new clothing LOL

Same here. One of my teenagers had a major growth spurt this winter.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 6:41 am
I always expect it to happen, especially since I've seen others come back from overnight camp taller, but I haven't seen it with my kids.
My teenage daughter had a well visit May 2023 and had to go back for something in September. She hadn't even budged a centimeter. I thought she was done growing. Came to winter and her skirts from the past year were all too short and I thought maybe she shrunk them in the dryer.... When she went for her well visit May 2024, turns out she had grown since September, and all of a sudden it made sense!

amother
Hibiscus

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 6:47 am
I don't know what's true regarding children's growth but my doctor here in Israel told me that it used to be that they thought frum people who were very covered up were more vitamin d deficient than the rest of the population and were prescribed supplements more often. However, more recently it has been discovered that there is a high incidence of vitamin d deficiency in the secular population as well so it's not just related to sun exposure. Make of that what you will.

cuties' mom

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 7:17 am
Kids grow the most right after you buy them a new wardrobe in their current size. If you stock up on clothes for next season one size up, they're either going to skip a size or not grow into it for that season.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics