Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Renting out my summer home
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP  

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 9:26 pm
I’d like to start renting out my home as extra income. It’s a large home in a nice location and I’d like to ask for 3-4K per weekend and 1k per night.
I’m curious as far as the wear and tear to expect on the house. What’s normal and expected after a weekend?
Do you generally have to spend on some maintenance/cleaning after each guest?
What type of damage would be considered the responsibility of the person renting?
Thing is it’s a very large house so I’m assuming people with a lot of children or guest would use it…
What can I expect?

amother
Blush  

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 9:27 pm
No question it needs to be cleaned after each guest

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 9:28 pm
amother Blush wrote:
No question it needs to be cleaned after each guest

Yes, I get that.
I mean to say, how much clean up do I expect from my guests?
Am I washing floors and linen ? Or more? Will I need to wash all appliances/fridge/windows?

amother
  Blush  

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 9:29 pm
And you would have to check after each guest if there is damage because you cant just randomly go and than it will be too late and you won't know who is responsible for it

amother
  Blush  

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 9:30 pm
amother OP wrote:
Yes, I get that.
I mean to say, how much clean up do I expect from my guests?
Am I washing floors and linen ? Or more? Will I need to wash all appliances/fridge/windows?

Yes to floors and linen and bathrooms and more. If you are charging that price for a weekend place is expected to be clean. Appliances will need to be wipes down.

amother
  Blush  

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 9:31 pm
Guests can take out their garbage to your trash cans outside but don't expect them to do more than that

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 9:32 pm
In general, for people who have done this, what level mess and wear and tear is expected after a stay?
I’m trying to figure out if it’s worth it.

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 9:33 pm
amother Blush wrote:
Guests can take out their garbage to your trash cans outside but don't expect them to do more than that

What about carpets, vacuuming, linen, people who eat in their bed, etc? Is that all on me?

amother
  Blush  

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 9:33 pm
Guests vary. There are all kinds! I go to airbnbs sometimes. I leave place very clean with no damage but there still needs to be a cleaning lady after I leave. we are a small family and clean up after ourselves but if its large families with many little kids thats another story

amother
  Blush  

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 9:34 pm
amother OP wrote:
What about carpets, vacuuming, linen, people who eat in their bed, etc? Is that all on me?

Yes
You are charging for a service
that is part of it

amother
  Blush  

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 9:35 pm
amother OP wrote:

Do you expect guests to pay you 1K a day and stay a whole day extra to clean up after the stay. Thats just not how it works.

amother
Mulberry  

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 9:36 pm
amother OP wrote:

You don’t sounds like you’re going to handle it well… that said, most Jewish rental places have a cleaning fee and hire a cleaning service who will whip the place back into shape. And yes most likely they will eat/spill in ur rooms and on ur carpets

amother
  Blush  

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 9:37 pm
Just google Ive seen some videos of how people leave places and its pretty gross. I would personally never rent out my personal space. I would have a separate properly for rentals. But I am very clean person

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 9:38 pm
I think for that price you’d have to check over everything very well. People might think that for that price they can set the air to the lowest possible or whatever. Unless that’s the price for rentals in that area. You also have to make sure you have rules about smoking etc and stick to them. Plus you have to remember about all other maintenance that a summer house needs-lawn, pool, etc. if you provide linen you have to wash it and check every time. Don’t assume the kitchen will be kept to a high kosher standard, people can bring in anything. Most people will listen to your rules. Some won’t. But it’s the ones who don’t that will make you meshuggeneh.

amother
  Blush  

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 9:39 pm
amother Mulberry wrote:
You don’t sounds like you’re going to handle it well… that said, most Jewish rental places have a cleaning fee and hire a cleaning service who will whip the place back into shape. And yes most likely they will eat/spill in ur rooms and on ur carpets

Agreed and yes places have cleaning fee but I think her prices sound high already so I wasn't going to suggest cleaning fees on top of it but I dont know location etc so don't know excatly how much someone would pay

amother
Scarlet  

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 9:39 pm
Is your home worth 1k a night?

And yes you need to clean the linens and clean the entire house. Nobody is paying to stay in a dirty place. It needs to be sparkling clean between guests.

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 9:40 pm
amother Blush wrote:
Do you expect guests to pay you 1K a day and stay a whole day extra to clean up after the stay. Thats just not how it works.

Why, is 1k a lot? I feel like that should be grateful that I let them use my house! For 1k a day it sounds like it’s barely worth it!
What if a child has an accident or something?
Can I charge the family?

amother
Chocolate  

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 9:40 pm
amother OP wrote:

Yes. Everything needs to be cleaned between guests
The fridge needs to be windexed between guests you dont want fingerprints on the glass shelves. The windows windexed also. All cabinets wiped down
Bedrooms need fresh linens, floors washed, drawers cleaned out of any tissues papers wrappers, all surfaces wiped down.
Bathroom deep cleaned

You don't want the guests to feel like someone else was just here.

amother
  Mulberry

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 9:41 pm
amother OP wrote:
Why, is 1k a lot? I feel like that should be grateful that I let them use my house! For 1k a day it sounds like it’s barely worth it!
Can I charge the family?

I’ll say it again .. you don’t sound like you’re cut out for this. Stop while you’re ahead . Thank me later

amother
  Blush  

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 9:41 pm
amother OP wrote:
Can I charge the family?

You don't have the right personally for this
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics