Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Explaining legal names to kids
Previous  1  2  3  4

B'Syata D'Shmya  

Post Sat, Jul 27 2024, 10:58 pm
amother Apricot wrote:
It's irrelevant whether they experienced fear or not. The facts are that they were hiding their identities.

Im not sure that "hiding their identities" considering the circumstances is a fair statement. They were responding to what was going on and taking on this secular or legal name was the proper thing to do in their situation. Their pubic-ly used name is not their identity...by a long shot.

B'Syata D'Shmya  

Post Sat, Jul 27 2024, 11:08 pm
amother Honeysuckle wrote:
I never said they did anything out of fear either. One can be cognizant of their safety and do something out of understanding that it's safer that way. Like Avraham hiding Sarah in the box.

What's your source that the only reason Yosef and Esther had different names when in the palace was purely a matter of convenience when dealing with officials? And many other people had contact with officials, why don't we see them all having different names too? Yaakov went to visit Paroh, why don't we see him using a different name? Why didn't Mordechai?

1. you remember that Avraham Avinu was corrected by Hashem for hiding Sarah Imeinu.
2. Nothing more Jewish than answering a question with a question. - You asked " What's your source that the only reason Yosef and Esther had different names when in the palace[/b] was purely a matter of convenience when dealing with officials?"
I never wrote that or claim that that was their only reason. I dont claim to get into their heads and know why they did anything they did. We are taught that Yosef was given a name by Pharoah to be used in the palace so that was by public decree (which was the norm of its day) and we are also taught to respect the laws of the land we live in. We are taught that Mordechai instructed Esther to conceal her religion and her background. There were many reasons for it -such as - as an anonymous Queen, she could appeal to all 127 provinces etc. It was a strategy considering her circumstance.
3. Yaakov as a visitor and not working for the palace may not have needed a secular/legal/official name. Or maybe he was given one and the Torah doesnt mention it as its not important...

B'Syata D'Shmya  

Post Sat, Jul 27 2024, 11:12 pm
Somebody mentioned that we dont know Mordechais hebrew name, but we do. It was P'tachya. Source:מסכת שקלים, פרק ה', משנה א'.
You can read about it on Wikipedia:
https://he.wikipedia.org/wiki/.....D7%99

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Sat, Jul 27 2024, 11:14 pm
OP all I meant with my first post is that you can tell your children that they come from a long line and heritage of Jews in Galus who had secular/legal names and Jewish names... May Moshiach come today and we no longer will need both....
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics