Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Can you tell it's not hair? (lace top wig)
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
  Alyssum

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 2:01 pm
amother Mauve wrote:
https://www.instagram.com/reel/Ca7ste4vRuM/?igsh=cWJpMDl5YmlnM284

I actually know some of the girls in the video. Some people you can sell, and some people you cannot tell.

What an inappropriate video.

amother
  Mauve  

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 2:08 pm
amother Alyssum wrote:

I know. Especially “no one wants you” I don’t think that’s nice.
He is a shliach even his not frum followers said how not nice that is. (not that being frum or not frum matters)

amother
Kiwi

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 2:12 pm
amother Mauve wrote:

I actually know some of the girls in the video. Some people you can sell, and some people you cannot tell.

They look good but I could tell every wig.

Also, a lot of lace wigs have staticky straight hairs coming from the hairline. You can also tell by the shape of the top of the head and by the thin straight hairline and sleekness at the roots. Also the way the hair is tucked or styled by the ears. In general, lace wigs look better on camera since the actual lace is harder to see.

amother
  Mauve  

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 2:14 pm
amother Kiwi wrote:
They look good but I could tell every wig.

Also, a lot of lace wigs have staticky straight hairs coming from the hairline. You can also tell by the shape of the top of the head and by the thin straight hairline and sleekness at the roots. In general, lace wigs look better on camera since the actual lace is harder to see.

Right.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 2:16 pm
I can always tell. even the most perfect looking lace looks wiggy

amother
  Cappuccino

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 2:53 pm
amother Alyssum wrote:

It’s not nice at all. What makes it even more awkward is having a man ask the question.

amother
Tanzanite

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 3:01 pm
My daughter and I were at a wedding together. My daughter insisted that the married sister was single and was not wearing a shaitel. I knew she married and was wearing a shaitel because I was at her wedding.

amother
Darkblue

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 3:07 pm
Maybe it’s a generation thing? I think people who are younger and have lace wigs can always tell. It’s pretty obvious in my opinion

mommyla  

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 3:26 pm
amother Mauve wrote:

Seriously? I can tell on every single one of those.
ETA I think when you live in a community where they're common, you get better at spotting them.

amother
  Mauve  

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 3:45 pm
mommyla wrote:
ETA I think when you live in a community where they're common, you get better at spotting them.

This is my community and I know some of the girls in the middle and I can tell they are wearing a wig, but I’m saying other people I cannot tell.

Rappel

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 3:50 pm
amother Violet wrote:
https://youtu.be/d9eiyoI9WCI?si=fEZWYxDpk-5OITdp

This is a video from James Borden’s show called “spot the wig”. I knew which one was the lace top within the first minute. In person, I’d probably spot it faster.

There’s always a certain wiginess

I couldn't see it. I thought it was #1 all the way. That's not right.

amother
Starflower

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 1:19 am
I recently saw a new dr at the clinic.
The woman had a Jewish sounding name and her hair looked strangely wiggy (really sleek and peerfect) to me,but I wasn't sure because it was a lace top and she was wearing low cut, not covering elbows or knees...

And then she mentioned halacha I'm the middle of the exam.

Oh!!!

amother
Waterlily

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 1:47 am
Can anyone clarify for me -
Are lace fronts AND lace tops controversial halachically or only one of them?

I didn’t have any interest in either but I recently started wearing my wig with a new part and you can see my widows peak.

My sheitel stylist said I can get a lace front to cover it but I have been living under a rock and have no idea about it.

Except to know that there was some controversy over lace.

(Or I can do laser or electrolysis but I have no idea about those either. My husband said it’s fine it’s such a small amount showing.)

I haven’t decided anything yet. Would love advice.
(Probably should have started a spin off I’m sorry)

amother
NeonGreen

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 2:08 am
I live in a community of sheitel-wearers and sometimes I can't tell that a lace top isn't hair. I assume that she's wearing a sheitel but if she manages to hide the line on the forehead I there is no way to tell.

I know halachically it's not necessarily an issue but it feels very wrong to me.

In general I tell that part of myself to be quiet because it's not my business. But you asked, so....

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 2:31 am
amother Powderblue wrote:
Because the famous heter from R Moshe to wear whatever is only if women can tell it's a wig. Not sure why, but that is the halachah according to R Moshe.

I think that was a chidush because the point of wearing a wig is to show you're married, from what I understand.

Have you read Rav Moshe's tshuva? He doesn't say only if women can tell it's a wig he says because frum women can usually tell it's a wig even when it's a really good one that wigs are ok. Not that you have to poll people to see if they can tell it's a wig. I encourage you to read the tshuva in the Igros Moshe

amother
  Pink

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 2:52 am
From what I understand, a lace top wig (assuming it is lined and not sheer, and that your own hair is covered not pulled through*) fulfills the mitzvah of Kisui Harosh in its entirety.

The issue is potential Maris Ayin, that you are making people think that you aren't covering your hair. Now that lace tops are common, this is not a problem.

Similar to how you used to have to put out almonds if you served almond milk at a meat meal, and now pareve milk substitutes are so common it's not a consideration anymore.

*I know some permit this also, and it's not my main point.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 6:26 am
If I'm not sure, I can tell by the back where the cowlick is supposed to be. It always looks like every other wig.

Except the time I met someone and thought she was single. Her hair was curly and I was used to looking for straight hair tells. With time that lace front became visible.

amother
  Powderblue  

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 8:28 am
mommyla wrote:

I really can't always tell. It does look like the hair is sprouting from their head - some of these wigs are really well done. And some I can tell. I'm not sure what the difference is...

amother
  Powderblue  

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 8:29 am
amother Cantaloupe wrote:
Have you read Rav Moshe's tshuva? He doesn't say only if women can tell it's a wig he says because frum women can usually tell it's a wig even when it's a really good one that wigs are ok. Not that you have to poll people to see if they can tell it's a wig. I encourage you to read the tshuva in the Igros Moshe

Um I actually did read the teshuvah and I don't understand the posters here who say they can always tell. Maybe we are looking at different wigs.

amother
  Mauve  

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 8:31 am
mommyla wrote:

I have worked with someone who’s got super curly black hair. And I saw her wearing a ring I didn’t know she got married. Her sheitel is the same exact black curly as her hair you can’t tell the difference.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels