Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Can you tell it's not hair? (lace top wig)
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Bluebell

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 11:48 am
Last week I went to my dentist and she commplimented me on cutting my hair into bangs. I wonder what she’s gonna think next week when I show up in a middle part again LOL

None of my wigs are lace top.

amother
Oatmeal

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 11:51 am
Before her wedding, DD put on her lace top wig one day and wore it around the house. DH walked in, took one look at her, and said hey! you look nice in your sheitel!

I can always tell, but so could he.

amother
Mayflower  

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 11:58 am
watergirl wrote:
Hairline aside, NOONE's HAIR LOOKS THAT GOOD. Yes, I was screaming.

Look around you next time you go outside the frum world. Only women in sheitels have that perfect Pantene commercial head of hair. My non-Jewish and Jewish but not frum bosses and coworkers have the best wig radar for that reason.

Yes, we can tell. No, I don't think there are any issues with a lace top - covering is not easy and I think every women has to do it however she thinks she looks best.

I don't see an issue with Pantene hair. If she can afford it, let her have luxurious locks, and enjoy it! But let's not fool ourselves - only people right out of the salon, or wearing spectacular wigs have hair that stunning.

Yes, we can tell.

Per the rabbonim on the lace top episodes of halacha headlines, what I wrote above is the very reason these sheitels are halacically acceptable. We can all tell they are wigs, no matter how much it looks like it grew out of your scalp. The rest of the hair is just too perfect to be someone's actual natural hair. It's perfectly kosher.

I embarrassed myself recently wishing a girl mazel tov on her engagement only to be told she's wearing a wig. Another time I asked someone else if the woman was married because I thought she was but it didn't look like her hair was covered. Yes I've been fooled. Fwiw I've been covering my hair for over 20 years. (Also I live under a rock.)

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 11:59 am
amother Oatmeal wrote:
Before her wedding, DD put on her lace top wig one day and wore it around the house. DH walked in, took one look at her, and said hey! you look nice in your sheitel!

I can always tell, but so could he.

Yes but this is your DD, your DH knows how he usually looks. He might not have been able to tell if she was a stranger

amother
  Mayflower  

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 12:00 pm
amother Midnight wrote:
Lately I’ve seen very good ones.
Eventually sometimes I can tell but it takes time. Or from afar you cannot tell at all. Like you can’t tell which are older teen daughters or the mother in a family group

Sometimes the front is super natural. But as soon as you see the back you know it’s a wig…

I am so perplexed. As hard as I find it to tell from the front, how can you possibly tell from the back? Unless you see a bump?

amother
  Mistyrose

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 12:01 pm
amother Mayflower wrote:
I am so perplexed. As hard as I find it to tell from the front, how can you possibly tell from the back? Unless you see a bump?

wig hair is usually sleeker and shinier than natural.

plus the coloring is almost always streaky and highlighted which again, doesnt look natural.

asmileaday  

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 12:04 pm
I can always tell. A wig is a wig. The only time I needed to take a second look was if the wig was very thin and completely unstyled. So ladies if you want your wigs to look more like hair don't style it just leave it messy lol.

FWIW the non jews that comment, omg I thought it was your own hair, say that on non lace wigs too and even synthetics.

amother
  Mayflower  

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 12:04 pm
amother Violet wrote:
https://youtu.be/d9eiyoI9WCI?si=fEZWYxDpk-5OITdp

This is a video from James Borden’s show called “spot the wig”. I knew which one was the lace top within the first minute. In person, I’d probably spot it faster.

There’s always a certain wiginess

And the actual wig wearer was the one guy I thought was definitely not wearing a wig!

asmileaday  

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 12:05 pm
amother Mayflower wrote:

There's a certain fullness and smoothness that's usually found only in wigs.

amother
  Mayflower  

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 12:06 pm
amother Mistyrose wrote:
wig hair is usually sleeker and shinier than natural.

plus the coloring is almost always streaky and highlighted which again, doesnt look natural.

True, but many, many people who don't cover their hair, do highlight or color their hair and not all do a top quality professional job.

amother
  Mayflower

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 12:07 pm
asmileaday wrote:
There's a certain fullness and smoothness that's usually found only in wigs.

This I hear, but many non Jews add extensions, and if the person is younger their natural hair might have those qualities.

essie14

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 12:09 pm
I can always tell. Maybe not from far but definitely from up close.

asmileaday  

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 12:45 pm
amother Mayflower wrote:
This I hear, but many non Jews add extensions, and if the person is younger their natural hair might have those qualities.

Natural hair grows in stages so there's always different lengths with shorter strands towards the top. Even with wearing extensions those would still show.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 12:46 pm
Some that wear it look like older singles. Others that wear it don’t know how to and it looks soo bad.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 12:48 pm
asmileaday wrote:
I can always tell. A wig is a wig. The only time I needed to take a second look was if the wig was very thin and completely unstyled. So ladies if you want your wigs to look more like hair don't style it just leave it messy lol.

FWIW the non jews that comment, omg I thought it was your own hair, say that on non lace wigs too and even synthetics.

I agree with every word.

amother
Pink  

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 1:10 pm
It's not possible to wear a wig that everyone knows is a wig, unless maybe a clown wig.

I've worn the rattiest old Paula Young synthetic and gotten compliments on my hair.

Some people are better or worse wig-spotters than others.

amother
  Midnight

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 1:14 pm
amother Mayflower wrote:

Hair falls from a wig much differently than normal hair does, especially in the back. So even if the front is super natural - which I’ve seen - the back still has that hair falling straight look.

amother
Alyssum  

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 1:19 pm
I met twins a few weeks ago. One was married and one was not. I legit could not tell which was which. To be fair, the single one was also wearing extensions.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 1:46 pm
I often can't tell. The only way I know is because it looks so perfect.

My 4th grader's teacher got married this year and she told me that she doesn't think the teacher is wearing a sheitel because the hair is " coming out of her head, I can see it"

amother
  Mauve  

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 1:49 pm
https://www.instagram.com/reel.....nM284

I actually know some of the girls in the video. Some people you can sell, and some people you cannot tell.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels