Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Anyone here in special ed?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
  Dimgray  

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 11:41 am
amother Maize wrote:
Hi special ed teacher here and mom… im not sure what everyone is going crazy about. There’s nothing wrong with a baby playing with his favorite toys. Hes not spinning himself he’s spinning the wheels people! From what you described he sounds very much ok.

Spinning wheels constantly is a major sign of autism. Sometimes it’s not but it often is.

amother
  Maize

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 11:50 am
amother Dimgray wrote:
Spinning wheels constantly is a major sign of autism. Sometimes it’s not but it often is.

I hear but in context of the information op has shared it does not sound too concerning. I would be more concerned of a slight speech delay.

amother
  Dimgray  

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 11:56 am
amother Maize wrote:
I hear but in context of the information op has shared it does not sound too concerning. I would be more concerned of a slight speech delay.

I do see concerning things and I feel it warrants an evaluation. Can’t hurt to check and find out if they can start therapy and if it’s nothing then no loss.

amother
  Outerspace  

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 12:37 pm
I agree that getting your child evaluated is a good idea.

The pointing at things to share his excitement with you is a really good skill. It also sounds like he has some nice imitation skills and enjoys interacting in physical games with you. These are great skills! On the other hand, most kids aren’t “obsessed” with spinning wheels…they might do it sometimes, but not constantly. It might be nothing, but the not talking yet plus spinning wheels obsessively would make me want to get him evaled.

I would also try to take him places where he can be around other kids his age, so you can see how he does with them.

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 1:23 pm
Thanks all for your responses! I appreciate every one of you!
For those that said to take him for an evaluation, if a kid brings his mother a book to read to hom, and because she read it so many times already, the kid knows when it’s time to turn the page, would you still say it’s a concern?
Meaning to say, he’s ka”h a very smart kid… at maybe 15 months or so, he’d be turning the pages at the right time… could that still be a concern?

amother
  Dimgray  

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 1:29 pm
amother OP wrote:
For those that said to take him for an evaluation, if a kid brings his mother a book to read to hom, and because she read it so many times already, the kid knows when it’s time to turn the page, would you still say it’s a concern?
Meaning to say, he’s ka”h a very smart kid… at maybe 15 months or so, he’d be turning the pages at the right time… could that still be a concern?

In a way it can add to the picture, these kids are often smart, they often are very precise and do things exactly on cue. Just evaluate him it won’t hurt.

amother
Forestgreen  

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 2:00 pm
OP, get your son evaluated. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
Not speaking at 20 months Is a delay. You say he understands - try talking to him in different than usual instructions while sitting on your hands to ensure he truly understands and is not using your gestures as cues. For example, if you usually say "moishele, let's go get dressed" say "it's time to put your clothing on" while sitting on your hands and see how much he can follow.
Obsessively spinning wheels can be a concern. You note he points to airplanes, trains etc. This can also be a red flag, loving vehicles. But so do many children who are neurotypical! It is so hard to know without seeing.
How are his play skills, make believe skills? Does he seem aware of his surroundings? Either way, your son can be completely typical! But his language is most definitely delayed and requires an evaluation and services.

amother
RosePink  

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 2:03 pm
amother OP wrote:
Kids with high functioning autism are often super smart. Asperger’s used to be a diagnosis but it’s not called that anymore.

amother
Emerald  

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 2:05 pm
How is loving vehicles a red flag?
learning a lot on this thread.

amother
  Forestgreen  

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 2:08 pm
amother Emerald wrote:

It CAN be. That does not mean it always is. But with the neurodiverse, there is often times a special liking to vehicles. Of course, there are tons of neurotypical children who love them as well! It's just the overall profile.

amother
  Emerald  

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 2:09 pm
amother Forestgreen wrote:
It CAN be. That does not mean it always is. But with the neurodiverse, there is often times a special liking to vehicles. Of course, there are tons of neurotypical children who love them as well! It's just the overall profile.

I understand that loving vehicles doesn’t mean there’s a problem. Just curious if there’s a reason it’s often linked with neurodiversity.

amother
  Dimgray

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 2:09 pm
amother Emerald wrote:

It’s one of the obsessions some autistic kids have. Neurotypical kids can also be into vehicles but as part of a bigger picture it can be another sign.

amother
  Emerald

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 2:10 pm
Is ADHD considered ND?
Could these red flags be attributed to adhd?
My kid was already evaluated and nothing came up, he gets services but no diagnosis.
I am considering going private.

amother
Quince

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 2:12 pm
amother Emerald wrote:
Is ADHD considered ND?
My kid was already evaluated and nothing came up, he gets services but no diagnosis.

Yes they can be. And it is considered ND.

amother
  Forestgreen  

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 2:14 pm
amother Emerald wrote:
Is ADHD considered ND?

Yes, ADHD is considered neurodiverse. Though very different than in autism. The primary autism symptoms line up with delays in language, communication, and socialization. Many children with ADHD are incredibly social! Of course the 2 can be comorbid as well. But I always found it funny that they are under the same umbrella when they are wildly different.

amother
  OP

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 2:17 pm
Thanks all. I usually don’t talk to him with gestures…as a matter of fact when he was 14 months I told him I’m going to make him something to eat (I specified what, not doing so here because I’ve told this to ppl irl) and he pointed to a different food he wanted and actually said that word

LovesHashem  

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 2:19 pm
Yes, ADHD is considered neurodiverse. Though very different than in autism. The primary autism symptoms line up with delays in language, communication, and socialization. Many children with ADHD are incredibly social! Of course the 2 can be comorbid as well. But I always found it funny that they are under the same umbrella when they are wildly different.

There's alot of crossover

- sensory issues
- special interest
- executive functioning struggles
- social struggles
- emotional regulation
- not paying attention to physical needs or being able to tune into feelings as much
- missing details, and other thinking patterns

I feel like my ADHD friends get me more than my neurotypical friends for sure.

It's common for both to also have anxiety, depression etc so that also adds a layer of relatability.

amother
  Forestgreen  

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 2:23 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
There's alot of crossover

- sensory issues
- special interest
- executive functioning struggles
- social struggles

I feel like my ADHD friends get me more than my neurotypical friends for sure.

It's common for both to also have anxiety, depression etc so that also adds a layer of relatability.

Yes, I do agree. But many disorder have overlapping issues. With these two, the PRIMARY symptoms of autism, like delays in communication, socialization, and language skills, do not NEED to overlap. Meaning, if a child has delays in all three areas, they will end up with a diagnoses of autism. Not ADHD. And the same goes the other way around. When the primary symptoms are not similar, they should not be under the same umbrella.

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 2:48 pm
Getting an evaluation through early intervention in the US is easier than trying to do it later. They won't diagnose him, but they can give you services if there's a delay. They're usually free and they're usually provided in your home. Why not try? Best case scenario they tell you he's doing well and then you feel better.

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 2:57 pm
Yes, I do agree. But many disorder have overlapping issues. With these two, the PRIMARY symptoms of autism, like delays in communication, socialization, and language skills, do not NEED to overlap. Meaning, if a child has delays in all three areas, they will end up with a diagnoses of autism. Not ADHD. And the same goes the other way around. When the primary symptoms are not similar, they should not be under the same umbrella.

The symptoms are not exclusively delays. They are differences.

What is someone who is neurodivergent?

A “neurodivergent” person refers to a person on the autism spectrum or, more generally, to someone whose brain processes information in a way that is not typical of most individuals.

The neurodiversity paradigm argues that diversity in human cognition is normal and that some conditions classified as mental disorders are differences and disabilities that are not necessarily pathological. It is estimated that nearly 15-20 percent of the world’s population is neurodivergent.

Neurodiversity includes other disorders such as:

- Acquired Brain Injuries (ABI)
- Dyslexia
- Dyspraxia, or Developmental Coordination Disorder (DCD)
- other learning disabilities
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics