Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Anyone here in special ed?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP  

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 3:31 am
I have a genera question but don’t want to post if I won’t have a chance of getting an answer here

life is fun

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 4:19 am
Which area or issue in special Ed are you referring to?

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 4:43 am
There are those of us in special ed. What sort of question is it you want to ask? Also there may be those that have experience even if not currently working in special ed.

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 4:48 am
Yes

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 7:48 am
I b”H have an adorable 20 month toddler who’s obsessed with wheels. He’ll spin wheels and turn a bike or anything with wheels upside down so that he could spin. Is it something to be concerned about?

amother
Dimgray  

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 7:53 am
It’s one of the things they say to look out for. It can be a sign of autism. How is eye contact? Do they play with other toys in a more normal way? Do they understand you? Do they communicate at all?

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 7:58 am
amother Dimgray wrote:
It’s one of the things they say to look out for. It can be a sign of autism. How is eye contact? Do they play with other toys in a more normal way? Do they understand you? Do they communicate at all?

He doesn’t really talk yet but b”H understands everything. B”H yes to eye contact. Yes he b”H plays with other toys as well.

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 7:59 am
He knows exactly what he wants, he’ll point with his finger to show me.
He’s very into music…

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 8:01 am
Does he line up toys? Seem to be very sensory in any way? Does he show interest in other kids? Does he walk on his toes? Is he extremely sensitive to noise?

Being obsessed with wheels a just one thing. If part of a bigger picture it could be a concern. If not it can just be a quirk. Or just that he really like wheeels!

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 8:05 am
amother Sienna wrote:
Does he line up toys? Seem to be very sensory in any way? Does he show interest in other kids? Does he walk on his toes? Is he extremely sensitive to noise?

Being obsessed with wheels a just one thing. If part of a bigger picture it could be a concern. If not it can just be a quirk. Or just that he really like wheeels!

What do you mean by walk on his toes?
He’s my first but seems to be happy to be with other children… he actually loves use the vacuum cleaner so wouldn’t say he’s sensitive to nojse

amother
Outerspace  

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 8:34 am
I’m a speech therapist working in early intervention.

What toys does he like to play with? What does he like to do with those toys?

When he’s around other kids, does he interact with them? What does he do to interact?

If you have internet access, google the M-CHAT-R autism test and answer the questions on it. They will score your answers and tell you if there’s a likelihood of autism.

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 8:46 am
amother Outerspace wrote:
I’m a speech therapist working in early intervention.

What toys does he like to play with? What does he like to do with those toys?

When he’s around other kids, does he interact with them? What does he do to interact?

If you have internet access, google the M-CHAT-R autism test and answer the questions on it. They will score your answers and tell you if there’s a likelihood of autism.

The toys he likes most is anything with buttons… he loves to press buttons.
He has those music books where you press buttons and different songs start playing.
He knows exactly which song he wants to hear at the moment and which song he’ll just skip.
He also likes when I play kickball with him. He loves chasing the balls and then throwing it in my direction.
He doesn’t really have the opportunity now to be around as many kids so can’t really answer.
But if I tell him to make hi to someone he’ll wave with his hand just as someone would wave bye, because he doesn’t talk yet he’ll wave hi.
Thanks for your input and to everyone that answered

naomi2

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 8:53 am
He sounds fine but keep an eye on him. Some things you mention are really good such as kicking a ball back and forth, playing with other toys, eye contact, and pointing ( pointing is social and means he's trying to show you something). The main think you want to look out for is relatedness. You said he makes eye contact (make sure it's sustained and not fleeting), does he answer to his name when called. Does he look at you when you enter a room. Does he seek you out if he has a problem or he is bored or he wants to share an experience with you. Not just coming over to you, dump a toy near you, whine, and then leave.

amother
  Outerspace  

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 9:02 am
Most of the autistic toddlers I work with wave hi and bye when they see other people doing it, and like to play ball and press buttons to make music play.

Some things they don’t tend to do:

1. Point at things to show them to you. They will point to things to ask for them, but they don’t point at them just to say “Look at that! Wow!”

2. Approach other kids at a playground.

3. Notice what other kids are doing and copy them.

4. Look at you to see your reaction when something unexpected happens.

Do any of those sound like your child?

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 10:46 am
amother Outerspace wrote:
Most of the autistic toddlers I work with wave hi and bye when they see other people doing it, and like to play ball and press buttons to make music play.

Some things they don’t tend to do:

1. Point at things to show them to you. They will point to things to ask for them, but they don’t point at them just to say “Look at that! Wow!”

2. Approach other kids at a playground.

3. Notice what other kids are doing and copy them.

4. Look at you to see your reaction when something unexpected happens.

Do any of those sound like your child?

He always points to airplanes when he sees them indicating that he’s showing me look there’s an airplane, same goes for a bus or car…
He has a wooden bead maze toy, where the kid has to move the beads from one end to the other, and gets excited when he does it. He claps his hands and looks at me, waiting for me to clap along and say yay…
I’ve never really been between other kids with him, so can’t know… but there’s a song in Yiddish counting the fingers and when I sing it to him I count with my fingers as I’m saying the numbers so anytime he wants me to sing that song he’ll copy what I do when I sing it, or as I’m singing it, he’ll copy me

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 10:48 am
Or he has small balls that are part of a toy. So sometimes I throw the ball up the steps, he loves when it bounces back down, so he’ll try to throw it up himself

amother
Grape

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 10:51 am
I’m in the field a very long time as well-there are many excellent responses here so I won’t repeat them but I’d advise to have your child evaluated anyway ; first of all just to have piece of mind ( and it’s free to you if you are in NYC) plus if it turns out your child does need services, he will get them and this is the time as the brain is developing rapidly during the first 3 years of life.

amother
Maple

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 11:23 am
amother OP wrote:
He doesn’t really talk yet but b”H understands everything. B”H yes to eye contact. Yes he b”H plays with other toys as well.

I would start by calling up EI for a speech evaluation and go from there.

amother
Maize  

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 11:39 am
Hi special ed teacher here and mom… im not sure what everyone is going crazy about. There’s nothing wrong with a baby playing with his favorite toys. Hes not spinning himself he’s spinning the wheels people! From what you described he sounds very much ok.

amother
  Maize  

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 11:40 am
amother Grape wrote:
I’m in the field a very long time as well-there are many excellent responses here so I won’t repeat them but I’d advise to have your child evaluated anyway ; first of all just to have piece of mind ( and it’s free to you if you are in NYC) plus if it turns out your child does need services, he will get them and this is the time as the brain is developing rapidly during the first 3 years of life.

What are your concerns exactly?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics