Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps
Camp Malka delay
  Previous  1  2  3 9  10  11 15  16  17  Next

amother
Forsythia  

Post Fri, Jul 12 2024, 12:30 am
Anyone spoke to the older girls who went to the new campgrounds? Is that setup at all? I heard some girls are leaving for Shabbos…

amother4

Post Fri, Jul 12 2024, 1:31 am
I would be happy to make an evening camp experience 2-3 times a week, with a focus on professional crafting, for any daughters who are now home and would enjoy something like this. I'm in the Kensington area.

ILOVELIFE  

Post Fri, Jul 12 2024, 1:44 am
Just chiming in. This is my dghter’s 3rd summer there. They took her in 3 summers ago for 2nd half when a different camp closed and they absorbed those girls. They usually run an extremely well planned and executed camp.

This is a fiasco and it’ll be hard to know how it played out but right now my dghter is there in the new grounds and bh while she slept in her clothes last night, she called today to say she was doing better and had fun and was focusing on having a good time with her friends.

It’s obviously not the camping experience the directors had in mind. Nobody plans for this to play out as it did— it’s every camp’s nightmare.

And I truly hope they make it out well and stronger on the other side.

It’s tough but vilifying and mud slinging not only doesn’t help but is hurtful to people who have a track record for organization and safety.

amother
Stoneblue

Post Fri, Jul 12 2024, 2:22 am
amother Turquoise wrote:

I cannot imagine girls being on their periods. If that was me my parents would have to come get me because I’m a heavy bleeder ...and I’m a ...go with the flow type.

Rolling Laughter

amother
  Turquoise

Post Fri, Jul 12 2024, 6:49 am
ILOVELIFE wrote:
Just chiming in. This is my dghter’s 3rd summer there. They took her in 3 summers ago for 2nd half when a different camp closed and they absorbed those girls. They usually run an extremely well planned and executed camp.

This is a fiasco and it’ll be hard to know how it played out but right now my dghter is there in the new grounds and bh while she slept in her clothes last night, she called today to say she was doing better and had fun and was focusing on having a good time with her friends.

It’s obviously not the camping experience the directors had in mind. Nobody plans for this to play out as it did— it’s every camp’s nightmare.

It’s tough but vilifying and mud slinging not only doesn’t help but is hurtful to people who have a track record for organization and safety.

It’s probably easier to feel this way if your kid is actually getting to be in camp. Not if you paid and planned and now have your kid back home.

Did they say anything about refunding the parent whose kids get no camp?

amother
  Khaki  

Post Fri, Jul 12 2024, 7:58 am
amother Turquoise wrote:
It’s probably easier to feel this way if your kid is actually getting to be in camp. Not if you paid and planned and now have your kid back home.

Also if your kid is going for the first time and doesn't have many camp friends.

And anyone who doesn't live in the NY//NJ region and doesn't really have family there and is now scrambling back and forth with flights and all that.

ILOVELIFE

Post Fri, Jul 12 2024, 8:02 am
amother Turquoise wrote:

Yes they are refunding

Heyaaa  

Post Fri, Jul 12 2024, 8:24 am
I don't have skin in the game so it's easy for me to talk. I feel terrible for the girls and their parents. I feel less terrible for the camp administration. I would feel more sympathetic to them if they had just canceled on the parents (and had to deal with that mortification) instead of putting the girls through an unsafe situation.

That being said, now is the time for parents to teach their kids about emunah. This horrible situation happened. How the parents react will affect their children's crisis management for many years to come, if not for the rest of their lives.

amother
  Begonia  

Post Fri, Jul 12 2024, 8:24 am
ILOVELIFE wrote:
Yes they are refunding

According to who? They didn’t tell parents that. And btw the new campus is a disaster no normal toilets, all the girls there want to come home they haven’t slept in 3 days

amother
  DarkPurple  

Post Fri, Jul 12 2024, 8:27 am
amother Begonia wrote:
According to who? They didn’t tell parents that. And btw the new campus is a disaster no normal toilets, all the girls there want to come home they haven’t slept in 3 days

Not so sure your "all" is accurate
Do you have a child there? They were only two nights away from their parents...

amother
  Khaki  

Post Fri, Jul 12 2024, 8:29 am
ILOVELIFE wrote:
Yes they are refunding

You know this for fact?
Because I was just talking to my neighbor 10 minutes ago whose daughter was sent home last night and she's desperately trying to find out if they will refund so she can try to find a second half option not no one will commit to refunding

amother
  Cantaloupe  

Post Fri, Jul 12 2024, 8:32 am
amother DarkPurple wrote:

I know kids there who called home crying late last night that they are done.

amother
  Currant

Post Fri, Jul 12 2024, 8:33 am
ILOVELIFE wrote:

The camp that closed 3 summers ago for 2nd half did it the right way.

Theh let parent know way more in advance.
And they didnt reopen the next summer because they didnt have camp grounds.

That was the right way to do it. And my daughter loved that camp.

amother
  Begonia  

Post Fri, Jul 12 2024, 8:36 am
amother DarkPurple wrote:

It’s accurate I just spoke to a family member that’s there, she’s coming home and so are tons of girls. There busses being arranged by parents. The chutzpah on this camp that they took the girls to a not functioning place that they knew isn’t ready

amother
  Begonia  

Post Fri, Jul 12 2024, 8:42 am
amother Currant wrote:
The camp that closed 3 summers ago for 2nd half did it the right way.

Theh let parent know way more in advance.
And they didnt reopen the next summer because they didnt have camp grounds.

That was the right way to do it. And my daughter loved that camp.

Exactly.

Heyaaa

Post Fri, Jul 12 2024, 8:48 am
The more I hear, the more sad I am about everything that happened. All the frustration, expenses, and even fear on the part of the parents and girls. It seems very traumatic.

I have to say though, that it doesn't seem that the camp was purposely negligent nor that they tried to do anything criminal. It seems that they tried to provide a great service and utterly and completely failed, letting down thousands of people (including relatives of the girls and staff) and now having to deal with the reality that every frum jew on the planet with internet, knows how badly they screwed up. I'm davening for them that they emerge from this emotionally intact.

amother
  Acacia  

Post Fri, Jul 12 2024, 9:04 am
amother Begonia wrote:
It’s accurate I just spoke to a family member that’s there, she’s coming home and so are tons of girls. There busses being arranged by parents. The chutzpah on this camp that they took the girls to a not functioning place that they knew isn’t ready

The story just gets crazier. The hotel in Poconos was non functioning but they delivered and set up 600 beds. The next day they needed to move and the new place has no functioning toilets?
The last two days must've cost the camp thousands of dollars! But why go from one disaster into the next? Is there anyone in that place thinking? This is so sad at this point. Hope everyone makes it home for Shabbos!

amother
  Charcoal  

Post Fri, Jul 12 2024, 9:07 am
ILOVELIFE wrote:
Yes they are refunding

There has been no mention of a refund yet.

amother
  Khaki  

Post Fri, Jul 12 2024, 9:11 am
amother Acacia wrote:
The story just gets crazier. The hotel in Poconos was non functioning but they delivered and set up 600 beds. The next day they needed to move and the new place has no functioning toilets?
The last two days must've cost the camp thousands of dollars! But why go from one disaster into the next? Is there anyone in that place thinking? This is so sad at this point. Hope everyone makes it home for Shabbos!

I know that parents are getting very concerned that there will be no money to get refunds.

amother
Orchid

Post Fri, Jul 12 2024, 10:14 am
My sister in law is there
After no sleep and only one of her luggage’s she moved to the new camp because she’s a tc. She’s crying now that there’s no toilets Only urinals. And no normal food in the new grounds. Some parents arranged a bus and she’s going home. I don’t think anyone should be there for Shabbos
Page 10 of 17   Previous  1  2  3 9  10  11 15  16  17  Next Recent Topics