Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Upsherin/Chalaka gift maybe kippa box?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 9:08 pm
My husbands sister is making an upshernish this summer. Whats a nice gift to get? I heard of personalized kippah boxes- where can I find that? They are israeli. Is gift giving a thing there?

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 9:13 pm
I’ve never seen a kippah box and would likely not use one. How about an assortment of kippahs? They get lost so easily.

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 9:16 pm
Gift card to ikippah

amother
Daffodil

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 9:37 pm
I did a kippa box for my nephew and it was so appreciated they loved it!! Where are you located? I can share the number They also have a few other personalized opsher style gifts..

amother
Green

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 9:40 pm
I like to give something alef beis related . Alef bais puzzle. Memory game. Bingo. It is,something that will be educational fun and enjoyed foe the next few yrs

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 9:57 pm
I give a personalized yarmulke box (I do it myself).

ddmom

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 11:28 pm
A toy for the upsherin boy!

amother
Dustypink

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 11:33 pm
If you can then a Sefer Torah that has the aleph Bais inside is a great gift.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 11:49 pm
amother Daffodil wrote:
I did a kippa box for my nephew and it was so appreciated they loved it!! Where are you located? I can share the number They also have a few other personalized opsher style gifts..

I live in ny but my sil lives in e"y and is super israeli so like the typical american stuff women like here shes never heard of (like the classic acrylic stuff, bacarrat butterflies, Mackenzie-Childs pieces). Im giving bad examples but Im trying to describe their type...
I also dont want to get any kippahs since Idk what her boys wear (like fun ones or plain velvet ones, but then idk if they wear a band with it or panels etc). So I dont know if a kippah box is dumb or would be appreciated. I just heard of it and thought it sounded cute

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 11:49 pm
amother Cantaloupe wrote:
Gift card to ikippah

they live in e"y

Elfrida

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 2:43 am
amother OP wrote:
My husbands sister is making an upshernish this summer. Whats a nice gift to get? I heard of personalized kippah boxes- where can I find that? They are israeli. Is gift giving a thing there?

Are you going to Israel, or will you need to have it delivered? Delivery may limit your options.

Are you buying a gift for the boy or for your sister in law?
I live in Israel, and I've never heard of kippa boxes. For all I know, they could become the next thing, but right now they aren't a thing. Bear in mind that Israeli homes are, generally speaking, smaller than American homes, and might not have room to display something like this. Most people I know keep them in a basket in a drawer somewhere - when they aren't strewn around the house.

Most upsherens that I have been to are effectively an expanded birthday party, with cousins and maybe one or two friends. A present for the boy is always fine. Anything that a three year old boy would enjoy. If you want to give your sister in law something, no one would consider it strange, especially if you are coming from chutz l'aretz and don't see her too often.

Elfrida

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 2:53 am
amother OP wrote:
I live in ny but my sil lives in e"y and is super israeli so like the typical american stuff women like here shes never heard of (like the classic acrylic stuff, bacarrat butterflies, Mackenzie-Childs pieces). Im giving bad examples but Im trying to describe their type...
I also dont want to get any kippahs since Idk what her boys wear (like fun ones or plain velvet ones, but then idk if they wear a band with it or panels etc). So I dont know if a kippah box is dumb or would be appreciated. I just heard of it and thought it sounded cute

I've also never heard of those brands. I just googled, out of curiosity, and they look nice, but not the style you would see in a typical Israeli home.

In terms of styles of kippot, most people have a certain style, but don't worry too much about little children. A lot of three year olds wear all kinds of patterns and decorations that you wouldn't see on a seven or eight year old. So if you want to buy a kippah, don't worry too much about the style. At that age you can never have too many!

Brit in Israel

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 4:07 am
My sister bought for my nephew the cutest kids siddur. I think she got it from Shankys.
He absolutely loves it still and he just turned 5.
He also enjoyed all toys he got but this was definitely the best. It made him feel so big and every Shabbos he uses it.
https://www.hbooks.co.il/produ.....D7%92

I wouldn't have appreciated kippahs. They need to sit right on the child and you need to know which size for which brand.
I got for my son really cute colourful and designed but both my sil who are Israeli stayed much more muted. It is a risk.

amother
Bluebell

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 6:52 am
I’m not in Israel but live in a very small
Space BH and was gifted a kippah box and we hate it. It’s huge first of all. Our son has 3 kippahs. We use it for Lego or train set or whatever and it’s broken numerous times in the past 6 months. I don’t see it making it to his 4th birthday. I can’t imagine having the space or the life that it would sit on a dresser . So it takes up a vast amount of space on a shelf and is being held together by duct tape and we only kept it because it was a gift and it has his name on it. But it was not meant for a family like ours

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 10:17 pm
ty Elfrida so helpful!!
ok going with a gift like a puzzle or book for the upsherin boy instead thank u all!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics