Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
I'm a pool owner. AMA
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 11:17 pm
amother Skyblue wrote:
You only shock it 2-3 times a season with that many people using it? I’d think it would need to be shocked much more often.

We have a great filter and a saltwater system. It only needs to be shocked if we shut the system for a few days. Like over shvuous we shut the system and it got cloudy so we shocked it

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 11:19 pm
amother Latte wrote:
I just told my husband that I read on this post about how much you make from renting the pool and his response was not enough to cover lawyer fees if you get sued...

Ok.
You can also get sued if someone trips on your property. Just saying.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 11:20 pm
amother Whitewash wrote:
Do you have neighbors close by ? Do you care if they are constantly bothered by the noise?

My neighbors are mostly ok with it, and some have pools too and rent it out too. They also benefit because I allow them to use my pool for free whenever it's available.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 11:21 pm
amother Skyblue wrote:
I have saltwater and we shock it way more often (without renting it out). My previous neighbor shocked it anytime a crowd went swimming in it.

We have an amazing filter

amother
  Watermelon  

amother OP wrote:
On weekends it's almost never available for us, but during the week I do use it plenty. And my kids know when its rented out its not available, and they are mostly ok with it because they still use it plenty.

I don't love having people in my backyard constantly, but it's just part of it so too bad. The pool area is very private so once they are inside it doesn't bother me at all, since I can't see them.

It's a crazy amount of work, but money talks Wink

How are you comfortable using your own pool, knowing how many people have been in it? Doesnt gross you out? I stopped telling ppl they can come use our pool (we did not rent it out), because it grossed me out to be sharing esp with so many friends kids.

amother
  OP  

m-u-a-mama wrote:
But are you sure that’s even if you’re making money renting it out? Because our insurance company claims no one will cover that except a commercial insurance plan which STARTS at 1k

I'm honestly not sure

amother
Tuberose  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 11:22 pm
Is it legal to rent your backyard pool where you live?

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 11:23 pm
amother Watermelon wrote:
What does it cost to resurface the inside by you and how much with the deck?
What do you pay per month for maintenance - I assume you are not in FL or a common place where people have pools.
Do you use it enough to 'justify' the cost of maintenance?

Things I wonder as a pool owner myself.

We have a vinyl liner pool, I think it's between 5-7k to replace the liner. I'm not 100% sure though
We love our pool and it's worth the cost of maintenance (even if we wouldnt rent it out). We would pay more than that to rent an airbnb with a pool for a week or 2 every summer.

amother
RosePink  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 11:25 pm
amother OP wrote:
My neighbors are mostly ok with it, and some have pools too and rent it out too. They also benefit because I allow them to use my pool for free whenever it's available.

Yeahhhh… your neighbors are probably not okay with it.
My neighbor rents out their pool all day and throws parties in it every night. To private renters and groups. There is nonstop noise. No parking in front of my house. They block my mailbox and my driveway. They walk across my lawn to get to the pool.
I hate it with a passion. We have no peace in our own yard or house at all hours for the entire summer.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 11:25 pm
amother Watermelon wrote:
How are you comfortable using your own pool, knowing how many people have been in it? Doesnt gross you out? I stopped telling ppl they can come use our pool (we did not rent it out), because it grossed me out to be sharing esp with so many friends kids.

Same way I'm ok with eating meat and chicken. Some things you just don't think about too deeply.

Also, the pool system kills the germs

amother
DarkViolet

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 11:28 pm
amother OP wrote:
Ok.
You can also get sued if someone trips on your property. Just saying.

This is actually true.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 11:28 pm
amother RosePink wrote:
Yeahhhh… your neighbors are probably not okay with it.
My neighbor rents out their pool all day and throws parties in it every night. To private renters and groups. There is nonstop noise. No parking in front of my house. They block my mailbox and my driveway. They walk across my lawn to get to the pool.
I hate it with a passion. We have no peace in our own yard or house at all hours for the entire summer.

I feel bad for you, but my renters don't do this. They only walk on my lawn, and they do park in front of my neighbors house, but I dont think they block their mailboxes. Ive never gotten any complaints abkut that.

We have parties here and there, but honestly it's not very often, and I don't even hear the noise in my own house that's right near the pool.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 11:31 pm
Do you cover it daily after use? Hard to cover ? Do you have a heater to warm up water?

amother
  Petunia  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 11:31 pm
amother OP wrote:
We have liability insurance for our property and it covers the pool

We have liability that covers our pool for the people that live in our home only. Insurance in some cases won’t at all cover liability for others and in some cases will but it’s more expensive then what you’re making renting your pool we were told.
Regarding suing. This is different then someone suing you for falling on your property.
1) a fellow jew, you hope wouldn’t sue you. If yes you can take them to beis Din. Here the person can not want to sue you but their medical insurance might decide to sue you.
2) if suing outside is an issue for you put up cameras. As long and you didn’t leave something in the persons way that they tripped on, or your sidewalk doesn’t have some issue the person has no case. If someone is drunk and collapses on your property and has damages it’s on them. People have cameras to prove that. Will a pool. Someone has an injury even with cameras it doesn’t help. The fact that they had access to your water is your liability.

It could be the anount you are able to rent it out for more then covers if you are sued. People who are thinking to rent their pools should know the risks they are taking.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 11:35 pm
amother Jade wrote:
Do you cover it daily after use? Hard to cover ? Do you have a heater to warm up water?

No we don't cover it daily. We do have a heater which we put on every morning. It only works till it reaches the desired temp

amother
  RosePink  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 11:35 pm
amother OP wrote:
I feel bad for you, but my renters don't do this. They only walk on my lawn, and they do park in front of my neighbors house, but I dont think they block their mailboxes. Ive never gotten any complaints abkut that.

We have parties here and there, but honestly it's not very often, and I don't even hear the noise in my own house that's right near the pool.

Don’t be so sure about that! I don’t complain to them because I just talk directly to whoever blocks my stuff, and history has unfortunately shown that the neighbor doesn’t care much.
And they also don’t seem to hear the noise, or they don’t care because $$$. But I can never just chill in my own backyard or even inside my house because there’s screaming coming from next door.
Just a heads up. Tell your renters to be considerate of the neighbors.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 11:38 pm
amother Petunia wrote:
We have liability that covers our pool for the people that live in our home only. Insurance in some cases won’t at all cover liability for others and in some cases will but it’s more expensive then what you’re making renting your pool we were told.
Regarding suing. This is different then someone suing you for falling on your property.
1) a fellow jew, you hope wouldn’t sue you. If yes you can take them to beis Din. Here the person can not want to sue you but their medical insurance might decide to sue you.
2) if suing outside is an issue for you put up cameras. As long and you didn’t leave something in the persons way that they tripped on, or your sidewalk doesn’t have some issue the person has no case. If someone is drunk and collapses on your property and has damages it’s on them. People have cameras to prove that. Will a pool. Someone has an injury even with cameras it doesn’t help. The fact that they had access to your water is your liability.

It could be the anount you are able to rent it out for more then covers if you are sued. People who are thinking to rent their pools should know the risks they are taking.

I hear what you're saying. I'm wondering how it works if someone has a friend over (for free) and the friend gets hurt. Can their medical insurance sue them too? If so why are people ok with allowing others to come over to use their pool? Every pool owner I know has people use their pool. Some charge and some don't.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 11:45 pm
amother RosePink wrote:
Don’t be so sure about that! I don’t complain to them because I just talk directly to whoever blocks my stuff, and history has unfortunately shown that the neighbor doesn’t care much.
And they also don’t seem to hear the noise, or they don’t care because $$$. But I can never just chill in my own backyard or even inside my house because there’s screaming coming from next door.
Just a heads up. Tell your renters to be considerate of the neighbors.

You sound very frustrated and I'm sorry about that, but perhaps tell your neighbor something. How are they supposed to know it's bothering you if you never told them anything?

I do tell my renters to be considerate, and for the most part they are.

amother
Molasses  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 11:46 pm
amother OP wrote:
Costs us probably around 2-3k per season (including heating and the water bill)

We can earn between 20-40 grand, depending on the season.

Wow! making 40,000 a season means the pools is rented out about 30 hours a week for 3 months. Do you get to use the pool and enjoy the pool?

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 11:48 pm
I have a pool and where I live it’s illegal to rent it out, so I never do. Some of my neighbors do anyway but my husband says it’s not worth the $ for the aggravation If either we get caught renting it, or something happens to someone while renting it
Page 3 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics