Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
I'm a pool owner. AMA
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 11:48 pm
amother Molasses wrote:
Wow! making 40,000 a season means the pools is rented out about 30 hours a week for 3 months. Do you get to use the pool and enjoy the pool?

Yes! I'm in the pool at least twice a week, and my kids are in there almost daily. We use it a ton

amother
  RosePink  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 11:50 pm
amother OP wrote:
You sound very frustrated and I'm sorry about that, but perhaps tell your neighbor something. How are they supposed to know it's bothering you if you never told them anything?

I do tell my renters to be considerate, and for the most part they are.

We’ve told them. They’re inconsiderate people in general. They don’t care so we stopped complaining unless it’s really bad.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 11:52 pm
amother RosePink wrote:
We’ve told them. They’re inconsiderate people in general. They don’t care so we stopped complaining unless it’s really bad.

Then they are just bad neighbors in general. I don't think you can make a blanket statement that every pool owner that rents their pool out is a bad inconsiderate neighbor.

amother
  RosePink

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 11:54 pm
amother OP wrote:
Then they are just bad neighbors in general. I don't think you can make a blanket statement that every pool owner that rents their pool out is a bad inconsiderate neighbor.

Not making a blanket statement. Just pointing out that you may want to check in with your neighbors and try to keep an eye and ear out to make sure that your income isn’t negatively impacting others.

amother
Offwhite  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 11:58 pm
amother OP wrote:
No we don't cover it daily. We do have a heater which we put on every morning. It only works till it reaches the desired temp

I'm wondering if you live in a warm climate. My neighbor here in Monsey has a pool similar size to OP and the heating bill alone is about 2-3k for the 3 months. They also do their own maintenance and their total cost a averages about 5-6k.

amother
  Offwhite

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 12:01 am
amother RosePink wrote:
Not making a blanket statement. Just pointing out that you may want to check in with your neighbors and try to keep an eye and ear out to make sure that your income isn’t negatively impacting others.

Agree with this. My neighbor is a wonderful person but she was totally unaware how the noise traveled directly to my home. I couldn't keep a window open at times because the noise was so loud. She finally decided that renting it out wasn’t worth it and I was so glad to hear that!

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 12:03 am
amother Offwhite wrote:
I'm wondering if you live in a warm climate. My neighbor here in Monsey has a pool similar size to OP and the heating bill alone is about 2-3k for the 3 months. They also do their own maintenance and their total cost a averages about 5-6k.

We don't live in a warm climate.
Maybe I'm off with 1k, but it's not that expensive if you do the maintenance yourself - especially if it's a saltwater pool. We don't need to buy chlorine or any other chemicals.
Our heating/ electric bill is around 2-2.5k for the summer, opening and closing is another $700 in total.

amother
  Watermelon  

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 12:45 am
amother OP wrote:
Same way I'm ok with eating meat and chicken. Some things you just don't think about too deeply.

Also, the pool system kills the germs
kills germs bt can't take out pee.. And it definitely happens

amother
  Watermelon  

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 12:50 am
amother OP wrote:
We don't live in a warm climate.
Maybe I'm off with 1k, but it's not that expensive if you do the maintenance yourself - especially if it's a saltwater pool. We don't need to buy chlorine or any other chemicals.
Our heating/ electric bill is around 2-2.5k for the summer, opening and closing is another $700 in total.

Salt water pools do need chlorine from time to time. Definitely.
Check into it
We have saltwater pool . I was not happy that it needed it from time to time but it does.

amother
  Watermelon  

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 12:51 am
If you rent it out through swimply, do they cover insurance like Airbnb would do for a home rental?

amother
Zinnia

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 1:15 am
If you installed your pool, can you please tell us approximately how much it cost to install.

Also, you mentioned that it is completely private with a bathroom - is it an indoor pool? If yes, how much did the whole structure cost to put up.

Thank you!

Pandabeer

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 1:34 am
amother OP wrote:
I don't feel comfortable pm'ing with all of the identifying details Wink

Ok, it's just that I'm looking for a pool near me

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 1:39 am
amother OP wrote:
Yup. Brings in a real nice income

Do you have insurance? Is it expensive?

ETA I read through the thread and I see you responded.

amother
  Lemon  

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 6:42 am
amother OP wrote:
I hear what you're saying. I'm wondering how it works if someone has a friend over (for free) and the friend gets hurt. Can their medical insurance sue them too? If so why are people ok with allowing others to come over to use their pool? Every pool owner I know has people use their pool. Some charge and some don't.

I have no idea where you live, but in New York if you are renting it out its a different category than friends coming over. Your homeowners insurance will cover that. It you rent it out, it’s considered a business and your homeowners insurance will not cover. You need to have special insurance for that.

amother
Trillium  

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 7:07 am
amother RosePink wrote:
Yeahhhh… your neighbors are probably not okay with it.
My neighbor rents out their pool all day and throws parties in it every night. To private renters and groups. There is nonstop noise. No parking in front of my house. They block my mailbox and my driveway. They walk across my lawn to get to the pool.
I hate it with a passion. We have no peace in our own yard or house at all hours for the entire summer.

Same! My next door neighbor has a pool (we don’t) and the noise and the people are really annoying. Half the week we don’t get mail cause our mailbox is blocked, we hardly use our yard now cause the noise from the renters is just very loud and unsettling (it’s a big pool and can be lots of people)… and I do not get to use it for free! They charge us to use their pool. It’s a shame cause we otherwise have a nice relationship but come pool season things get stressful…

amother
  Trillium  

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 7:20 am
amother Offwhite wrote:
Agree with this. My neighbor is a wonderful person but she was totally unaware how the noise traveled directly to my home. I couldn't keep a window open at times because the noise was so loud. She finally decided that renting it out wasn’t worth it and I was so glad to hear that!

You’re very lucky! My neighbor is typically considerate and I love have them as neighbors, for 9 months of the year. They get so busy with renting it it almost becomes an obsession. And although I’ve mentioned it kindly number of times, I don’t think she gets it… I wish she wouldn’t rent it out but I can’t control it…

amother
  Ecru

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 7:28 am
amother OP wrote:
Ok.
You can also get sued if someone trips on your property. Just saying.

If someone trips and breaks a foot, their expenses are negligible and they probably won’t sue. If they do, your homeowners insurance will cover.

If someone gets hurt in a pool the damages are likely significantly higher than a broken foot. But more importantly, if they rented the pool from you, your homeowner’s insurance will not cover. They can sue you directly.

At least get an umbrella policy if you don’t have one already.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 7:37 am
amother RosePink wrote:
Yeahhhh… your neighbors are probably not okay with it.
My neighbor rents out their pool all day and throws parties in it every night. To private renters and groups. There is nonstop noise. No parking in front of my house. They block my mailbox and my driveway. They walk across my lawn to get to the pool.
I hate it with a passion. We have no peace in our own yard or house at all hours for the entire summer.

I have two neighbors with pools and I have no issue with the cars because everyone has their own driveways so the parking doesn't affect me and obviously they have rules against parties. They aren't renting it out at night, only during the day.

amother
Burgundy  

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 8:05 am
What type of filter do you have? Asking because it seems to be beyond amazing.

My saltwater pool costs me around 6k. Rental income last year was also around 6k ..

Do people also rent your pool early mornings and evenings? Do you have lots of steady customers?

amother
Olive  

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 8:09 am
amother Ecru wrote:
If someone trips and breaks a foot, their expenses are negligible and they probably won’t sue. If they do, your homeowners insurance will cover.

If someone gets hurt in a pool the damages are likely significantly higher than a broken foot. But more importantly, if they rented the pool from you, your homeowner’s insurance will not cover. They can sue you directly.

At least get an umbrella policy if you don’t have one already.

The one with the injury does not sue, it's their health insurance that goes after the pool owner to cover the cost of the injury, usually without the injured even knowing. Insurance companies will do whatever they need to do to get out of paying. When they get the medical billing codes, they will go after the homeowner.
Page 4 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics