Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
Rabbi Berkowitz's Hilchos Shabbos Course for Women

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 2:22 pm
I'm interested to hear if anyone here knows any details.

In particular, I know that poskim in EY are notoriously a bit more stringent than those in the US.

So if that's the orientation (which presumably it is...), I'm not sure it's for me. I've got enough chumros impacting my life at this point...

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 3:45 pm
If it’s taught by R’ Berkowitz himself, you can expect masterful, clear, compassionate, nuanced, liveable, likeable Halacha and hashkafa, if it’s one of his Talmidim (which seems like it is) it would probably be a rather watered down version of this, but still good.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 3:50 pm
When you say nuanced, do you mean he will say, Rav Elyashiv didn't allow, Rav Shlomo Zalman did etc?

Because I don't think most people teach halacha to women that way.

Yes, it is a talmid,

Rabbi Yehonasan Gefen grew up in London. He never imagined becoming a Rabbi, and certainly did not see himself as someone teaching Torah to hundreds of people. Yet, after twenty years of intensive learning, Rabbi Gefen found his calling as a disseminator of Halacha, with particular focus on the wide-ranging and highly relevant halachos of Shabbos. It is impossible to properly keep Shabbos properly without having a thorough knowledge of its myriad laws in a succinct manageable way. Yet how can busy working men find the time to grasp the laws of Shabbos in such a manner?
Rabbi Gefen is a very close student of HaGaon HaRav Yitzchak Berkovits shlit’a and was a Rosh Chabura in his famed Kollel for over eight years. In his time in the Kollel, Rabbi Gefen developed a deep understanding of the laws of Shabbos beginning with the Gemara sources, going through the gamut of Rishonim and Acharonim, and reaching the practical halacha. Using Rav Berkovits’ tremendous source sheets and with his haskama and encouragement, Rabbi Gefen took on the monumental task of translating these sheets into English, adding the main opinions of the Poskim. In this way, a busy working Ben Torah or an avrech with limited time, using both Hebrew and English materials, can learn Hilchos Shabbos with all the relevant sources, and has the possibility of attaining a Semicha. Over 160 current participants and alumni can testify to the inestimable value of this course, and how it has a tremendous positive effect not only on themselves but on their entire families.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 4:20 pm
When you say nuanced, do you mean he will say, Rav Elyashiv didn't allow, Rav Shlomo Zalman did etc? [b]

Yes, and he’ll talk about situational nuance, but again, that’s R Berkowitz, I don’t know about this talmid׳s course.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational