Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
“Come watch!”

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 5:38 pm
I don’t let my kids watch anything at home. None of their friends do either, so it’s not really an issue at all. I recognize that when I’m at my parents, I’m coming into their house, and it’s their rules. I’m not asking anyone to change, that’s fine. If my kids see people watching and they want to also while they’re there, that’s fine. But it bothers me when my younger siblings will call my kids from playing with toys and say “come watch! Look at this!” They’re not interested, why do you have to encourage them to watch? Do I have a right to say something? If yes, how? To the siblings, to my parents?

amother
Silver

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 6:04 pm
Just say you’d rather they don’t look at screen untill they are older.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 6:40 pm
Do your parents and sibling all know that you feel this way? You can't expect them to know it on their own. They don't view it as wrong at all.

You can tell your siblings, nicely and respectfully, that right now you're trying to limit your kids' time on screens. You can even tell them what you told us -- "If they ask to see something that someone else is watching, on their own, I'm not going to say no. But I just try not to invite them to watch. Could you try to do the same thing?"

I find that communication is really key when it comes to things like this.

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 6:49 pm
That's very hard to deal with. When we have get-togethers as a family we never put anything on. We are there to spend time together. And every family has different rules. One family only does Jewish videos. Another doesn't do any at all. 2 families allow pbs kids. At home. So I have never had this experience. I would actually suggest a game instead of them watching.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 10:27 am
Yes my parents and siblings know very well. My younger siblings just really love my kids and like to involve them in whatever they’re doing. Unfortunately, that’s often watching movies or YouTube. I wouldn’t ask them to turn it off since I know it’s allowed in my parent’s house and I’m not coming into their place and making anyone change. But do I really have to watch my kids get convinced to watch something they really had no interest in?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics