Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Am I allowed to sell something that someone gave to me?
Previous  1  2

Cheiny

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 4:06 pm
amother OP wrote:
My rav said halachically it's no problem. Is it ethical? Also if I take something from a gemach would you sell it?

Definitely do not sell something from a gemach. That’s taking tzedaka money in most cases, and if you can’t use the item, someone else who’s needy can…

chanatron1000

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 10:51 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
On this one I respectfully disagree.
Gifts given are always supposed to be what the recipient wants/would like. If I get something I don't have use for or don't like I will pass it on to someone who likes it more than me.
Keeping items that I don't like but the gift giver still wants me to have it? Sorry, I'm not on board.

You don't have to keep it, but if it means something to the giver, you should give it away to someone whose use for it matches what the giver intended. Example: someone gives you her favorite dress. You try it on, and it doesn't suit you. You could recycle the fabric, but if she wants her favorite dress to be worn by someone, it's better to pass it on to someone who will be able to wear it.

amother
Vanilla

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 11:37 pm
Cheiny wrote:
Definitely do not sell something from a gemach. That’s taking tzedaka money in most cases, and if you can’t use the item, someone else who’s needy can…

Yes, its taking Tzedaka money and using it for tzedaka!!
May you never be in a position to understand how desperate someone can be if they need to sell something they got via Gemach/charity. May you never understand that the very question that OP is asking means she desperately needs the money more than the item. Why tell her to definitlely not do something her Rav told her she may do. Her Rav may know something you dont. If the Rav says yes, its OK, ethically, morally and most importantly - in the eyes of Hashem.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette