Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
My teen stutters sometimes

Israeli40

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 1:35 am
He's b"H a superstar kid, quiet but well adjusted, valedictorian in elementary school, motivated, a bit nervous. When he was a toddler he'd have long screaming fits. The type you all want for your daughters. He began stuttering around 7th grade. Usually he speaks fine, but sometimes the stuttering is really bad. Wondering if I should be nervous about it.

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 1:56 am
Israeli40 wrote:
He's b"H a superstar kid, quiet but well adjusted, valedictorian in elementary school, motivated, a bit nervous. When he was a toddler he'd have long screaming fits. The type you all want for your daughters. He began stuttering around 7th grade. Usually he speaks fine, but sometimes the stuttering is really bad. Wondering if I should be nervous about it.

I would speak with a speech therapist. If you are in Israel, I can post the name of a stuttering expert in RBSA.

My kids started stuttering as preschoolers which I know is very common. (All but one resolved itself.) A quick Google search indicates that it is uncommon to start at your son's age if he never stuttered as a young child.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 5:12 am
Have you asked him how he feels about it?

amother
Tanzanite

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 8:08 am
amother Smokey wrote:
I would speak with a speech therapist. If you are in Israel, I can post the name of a stuttering expert in RBSA.

My kids started stuttering as preschoolers which I know is very common. (All but one resolved itself.) A quick Google search indicates that it is uncommon to start at your son's age if he never stuttered as a young child.

Sometimes there is a weakness which stays dormant, but comes up after a trauma. In my son's case, he had a traumatic medical procedure under anaesthetic, he went to sleep kicking and screaming, woke up stuttering.

He stuttered a bit when he first started talking, but it resolved itself. The surgery happened when he was 7, and it resurfaced.

After spending many useless hours and lots of $$$$ with traditional speech therapy, we came across R' Yanky Kaufman (Monsey, but works all over the world). We took him when he was 12, it's pure gold! Gave my son his life back, literally.

amother
Tanzanite

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 8:10 am
Israeli40 wrote:

Hi OP! Didn't notice your SN at first. I posted above, but I'll PM you. (Hint: my SN starts with an 'L' and ends with '23'. LOL LOL

I'll try to come back on later today...

Israeli40

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 2:45 pm
haha tanzanite, looking forward

Israeli40

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 2:47 pm
Think I'm being an irresponsible mother by ignoring it? I'm assuming it's stress related, because it comes and goes, and he has an intense personality.

amother
Yolk

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 4:27 pm
Israeli40 wrote:
Think I'm being an irresponsible mother by ignoring it? I'm assuming it's stress related, because it comes and goes, and he has an intense personality.

Please don't ignore this. Clearly he could use some help with this. And it can be much harder to impossible to get a guy to address a condition after a certain age (depending on their personality). Please have him evaluated while you can, including his intense, highly stressed personality.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children