Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Teen, Needs and Hardtail: a poll
Previous  1  2  3  4

Were you “deprived” of brand names growing up (of Lacoste shirts, Juicy, Tiffany bracelets- NOT food, clothing, etc)
I was deprived and until this day I am negatively affected (describe how)  
 11%  [ 33 ]
I was “deprived” and it bothered me to sometimes but then I grew up and realized my parents had a point, the desire for materialism never ends and brand names are luxuries, not needs  
 47%  [ 137 ]
I was deprived and it didn’t bother me, I was confident  
 40%  [ 117 ]
Total Votes : 287

zaq

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 11:00 pm
amother Mayflower wrote:
I was deprived of things that were in literally just because they were in.
Now I look at the stuff and it was all so cheap. What's wrong with buying something just to make your kid happy? like a 20 dollar backpack that's just like all the other girls why not?
Even an American girl doll what's 100 dollars?

What's $100? I can only assume that you grew up rich, or you make a VERY good living, or your husband manages all the money and he never asks you to think about where money comes from and where it goes. $100 can be three months--or one dose--of a needed medication. It can be a month's utility bill, a pair of shoes for a child., or food for a family for Shabbat. It can be a couple of hours of cleaning help for an overwhelmed mom, or a new winter coat and a pair of boots for a child. It can be a couple of boxes of hand shmurah matzah and some grape juice.

If $100 is so meaningless to you, I have a laundry list of excellent causes that would be very happy to accept all the $100 that you view with such casual disdain.

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 11:13 pm
amother Lightcyan wrote:
I was an oldest girl so my mom didn't know what was in. I tried asking for a juicy sweatshirt, but she didn't know where to buy it from so I never got on.
I never had any "brands" but I had decent clothes and toys.
I remember telling myself one year after camp, that by next year I've got to go to camp with either a juicy sweatshirt or a specific brand of sneakers. But I tried asking my mom which didn't get me anything...
Now, yes, my little girls wear juicy and the other stuff I never had. I also finally bought myself a juicy sweatshirt (which I have yet to wear Laugh )

lol this is me. And sometimes I was even 'scared' to ask my mom. I knew she would say no and I till this day I know it wasn't a money issue.
Now I get my kids lots of these extras (the cheap ones. I don't have the money for the expensive stuff and they are still little anyway)
My husband sometimes thinks I'm nuts when I get them certain things. But its my therapy Smile

amother
Aconite

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 11:50 pm
I try to teach children to wait a bit when in gadgets come out. So.wtimea the fad ends before it fully takes off. My daughter wanted the electric popper. I bought her a cheaper electric toy. She was upset that she didn't have the popper. When she bought the other toy to school everyone wanted to trade with her. Another child wanted wheelies when it was trending She learned some great skills she traded she borrowed. Kids can be so innovative when you don't give in a d they are motivated. I di believe its important to yave some nice stuff. But it's boring when we copycat. My son complained all his friends have tons ofPlaymobil. But his friends liked to hang out with my son because he has a large variety of boxes of crayons, markers and paint. And lots of paw patrol books that I got on second hand for under a dollar.

A good idea for teens is to make them look good. Teach them they don't have to announce the company or say they don't know. Cute clothes in my opinion work out well then brand names.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics