Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
How can you tell if your teen is doing mild drugs?

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 12:36 pm
How can you tell ? It would be mild, make you happy type. occasional use.
Not all drugs have smells.
This is a very good teen who has a friend in a bad place, and has been somewhat influenced.

Any info appreciated.
Hug away, I can use all the chizzuk I can get.
Never in a million years thought I would be asking this.

amother
Eggplant

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 12:44 pm
amother OP wrote:
How can you tell ? It would be mild, make you happy type. occasional use.
Not all drugs have smells.
This is a very good teen who has a friend in a bad place, and has been somewhat influenced.

Any info appreciated.
Hug away, I can use all the chizzuk I can get.

Any specific ones you are thinking off? I feel like marijuana is very often the happy drug of choice for teens. If it’s smoked it has a distinct smell, but there are other ways of investing it that won’t smell. Some signs to look out for: red puffy eyes, very relaxed easy going conversation, the “munchies” (aka very snacky).

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 1:34 pm
amother Eggplant wrote:
Any specific ones you are thinking off? I feel like marijuana is very often the happy drug of choice for teens. If it’s smoked it has a distinct smell, but there are other ways of investing it that won’t smell. Some signs to look out for: red puffy eyes, very relaxed easy going conversation, the “munchies” (aka very snacky).

Is that the one with the skunky smell? I would be able to smell that from a mile away.
how else can it be ingested?
and how long would the effect last?

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 2:26 pm
Look out for unfocused/glazed over eyes and him being very easygoing about everything and not caring about anything. My brother smoked weed for years so I'm familiar...

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 2:28 pm
amother OP wrote:
Is that the one with the skunky smell? I would be able to smell that from a mile away.

The skunky smell is pot/Marijuana. If the teen smells, he may have stood around people that smoked pot or he may have smoked himself. Many smoke Marijuana a vape.

amother
Eggplant

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 2:45 pm
amother OP wrote:

There are brownies or gummies (aka “edibles”) that can have marinuana mixed in. They won’t smell like skunk then. Look out for the glazed/red rimmed eyes, super chill personality, and constant snacking.
Multiple siblings of mine have…dabbled…over the years.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 8:28 am
amother OP wrote:

nowadays there are many methods of taking marijuana other than smoking it, it can be vaped with other scents to cover it up, it comes in chewable gummies, pills, paste ..... so many types and varieties also, now its easier to get because there are dispensaries to buy it from - don't need to find a dealer from the street - (better a legal dispensary, where there is regulation and know whats in it , a dealer can add other drugs to it, anything they want, and the buyer has no way to know.
its so sick:(
its logical to assume its marijuana because its the easiest one to get, from a legal dispensary, without getting involved with criminal drug dealers on the street.

also different varieties will have different side effects, and the drug induced "high" will look different,
some are safer than others
not good for the brain though, especially a teenage brain r"l SadSadSad (brain not fully developed till age 26)
we need mashiach now!!! hope your teen is okay and hope her friend gets help and healed and hope no one struggles with this anymore
Hashem Yishmor!

look for differences in behavior, mood
it can be positive changes - feels more confident to do things she felt anxious about before (some people who have autism which causes them extreme social anxiety take it for this purpose) (but only safe under guidance of a professional)
acting different
might not be obviously bad or dysfunctional, but things she wasn't doing before positive or negative
is she less sensitive ? things that used to bother her a lot bother her less? stress seems to affect her less? (this does not mean its healthy to take, but it can do these things, it is only safe under doctor supervision, and there is still controversy over long term brain damage)
people use it to escape unpleasant feelings

hope she and her friend are okay and hatzlacha

maybe contact amudim? they are experienced in dealing with such cases

my heart goes out to you

amother
Banana

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 10:41 am
I also sometimes wonder. My teen is so grouchy and inappropriate off and on.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 11:08 am
As someone who works in addiction/mental health there are many drugs out there and none are OK. And plenty of frum people addicted.

- look at pupils. If they change then yeah, odds are they are on something.
- mood swings. More than normal teenage angst. Could be a mental health issue or addiction.
- grinding teeth- tell tale sign of amphetamine abuse. It could also be from stress.
- glazed look in the eye.
- different eating habits. Munchies (cannabis) or not eating (stimulants).
- sleeping habits change suddenly? Too little sleep (could be mania/bipolar symptom but also from stimulants) or too much (ketamine, benzo, opioids, other sedatives) .
- staring out into space (hallucinogens).
- always asking for cash but you don't see the new shoes or whatever.

But also any major behavioral or mood changes. So sudden withdrawal from life, hyperactivity, less self care/poor hygiene, suddenly more secretive, hostile, angry...

This is not exhaustive list and many of these things can apply to mental health or other issues.
Hatzlacha.

giftedmom

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 11:21 am
Please try to get your child away from that influence whatever it takes. Seems like it’s still in its early stages.

amother
Acacia

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 12:00 pm
As someone who has gone through this with some of my teens, here are some tips.
1- Do NOT become a cop/private investigator/mashgiach.
2- Do NOT try to control who they are friends with.
3- Build up your relationship with your teen. Develope a friendship. Believe that your child is a great kid who received the best chinuch. Trust that they know right from wrong. Believe that they want to make the right choices. Understand that they are teenagers and will make stupid choices and mistakes until they morph into an awesome human being.
Keep on loving them. Unconditionally.
Become a safe person that they can discuss things with. Train yourself to respond appropiately and not to come off judgy or disapproving. Don't question them.
4- Keep on davening.
5- Never vent about them to others. (Especially family and close friends) You don't want to jeapordize your relationship.

mitzva

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 1:07 pm
I suggest you get help for yourself
You could call m.a.s.k.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children