Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Did I make a huge mistake?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 8:49 pm
Live in lakewood, nj. Just quit my job. I am 6 months pregnant.
Will I still be able to get maternity leave?
Also bugging out who will hire me visibly pregnant?

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 8:50 pm
Why did you quit your job? You didn't think of these things before you quit?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 8:52 pm
I quit because the commute was too much. I stuck it out for a long long time and I was finished.
First I thought I would enjoy the summer but now I’m scared I won’t get any disability.
I would really appreciate if someone who has knowledge with this can advise.

Thanks!

amother
Pear

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 9:01 pm
I imagine it would be hard to find a job at this point and I don't know how you would qualify for disability without a job or at a new job.

amother
Forsythia

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 9:05 pm
Get a remote job, nowadays it's easier to find.

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 9:07 pm
amother OP wrote:
I quit because the commute was too much. I stuck it out for a long long time and I was finished.
First I thought I would enjoy the summer but now I’m scared I won’t get any disability.
I would really appreciate if someone who has knowledge with this can advise.

Thanks!

I can't imagine you would get maternity leave if you aren't working. Who would pay for that if you don't have an employer? Probably would have been smarter to wait till you gave birth to leave. Or to try to get yourself fired so you can get unemployment. But too late for that now.

kenz

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 9:08 pm
You can try to file for unemployment if the commute was excessive. I did that years ago when I moved to Lakewood after I got married and was commuting to Manhattan. It was 4 hours a day and I was feeling horrible and I just couldn’t deal with it. I was approved and collected for the maximum amount of time that was allowed. I could not get maternity leave though, you forfeit that when you leave your job.

synthy

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 9:20 pm
amother Forsythia wrote:
Get a remote job, nowadays it's easier to find.
I second this.
However, you may not be eligible for off. I don’t know the rules in NJ, in NY you have to work for 180 days prior.

amother
Peru

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 9:24 pm
Speak to lcsc. If you get a job, any job with a W-2, even a temporary one in a daycare for the summer, you might be able to still get maternity leave. In NJ that's like 18 weeks so it's definitely worth working for. It's 85% pay of the job you had in the past. Not the job you're going to get next. It's really complicated but definitely worth the hassle.p

amother
Buttercup

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 9:25 pm
amother Peru wrote:
Speak to lcsc. If you get a job, any job with a W-2, even a temporary one in a daycare for the summer, you might be able to still get maternity leave. In NJ that's like 18 weeks so it's definitely worth working for. It's 85% pay of the job you had in the past. Not the job you're going to get next. It's really complicated but definitely worth the hassle.p

Maternity leave is 6 weeks

Family leave is 12 weeks and only certain employers need to give family leave with over x amount of employees and only if employee was working there for x amount of time

amother
Obsidian

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 9:25 pm
Maybe try asking for your job back? Embarrassing but not getting paid leave is a huge huge deal. In NJ you can start your paid disability leave a month before giving birth so you only had two months left. It’s a chaval.

amother
Peru

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 9:29 pm
amother Buttercup wrote:

Family leave is 12 weeks and only certain employers need to give family leave with over x amount of employees and only if employee was working there for x amount of time

Your information on disability and family leave isn't accurate but It's too complicated for here. There are at least four separate programs each with their own rules. She needs personalized professional advice for a complicated situation like this. LCSC helped me with a similar situation and I got my full pay. It's summer now so a temporary or part time job is easier to get.

amother
Valerian

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 9:37 pm
amother Buttercup wrote:

There's no "maternity leave"
The only thing leave that is 6 weeks is disability.

Paid Family Leave is 12 weeks.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 9:40 pm
maybe you can file as disabled already? like that you're on bed rest

amother
Mistyrose

Post Yesterday at 4:28 am
Why don't you try telling your old work if you can come back on to apply for maternity leave and family leave. You didn't realize. You worked hard for them if they can please do It for you. Or go back for a week at a time. Because you can take off technically 12 weeks before birth. And get maternity/family leave then

amother
Chicory

Post Yesterday at 7:06 am
amother Magenta wrote:
maybe you can file as disabled already? like that you're on bed rest

Are you actually telling someone here to straight out lie, and commit fraud? Banging head

She's not on bed rest, so why would you tell her to do that?

Shame on you!

fatso gal

Post Yesterday at 7:17 am
amother Chicory wrote:
Are you actually telling someone here to straight out lie, and commit fraud? Banging head

She's not on bed rest, so why would you tell her to do that?

Shame on you!

Her Dr will have to sign off on the disability. So if she is not actually on bed rest, there is no way her Dr will approve it.

amother
Ginger

Post Yesterday at 7:32 am
ask the LRRC, they have information on this and can help you find out what you are eligible for and when.

amother
Tuberose

Post Yesterday at 8:33 am
If you just gave two weeks notice yesterday you might be able to go back and say never mind. It’s the employer’s choice if they want you back but chances are they might, especially because it’s impossible to find employees these days and someone new they’ll have to retrain. People have their reasons they would come back such as their new job falling through.

amother
Obsidian

Post Yesterday at 8:46 am
Unless you’re rich enough that you don’t need paid leave and are totally fine without it, you definitely made a mistake. There are laws protecting pregnant women’s jobs because of how important it is that we have a source of income when we’re bringing a new (expensive) child into the world and will not be able to work for some time while recovering physically and emotionally. To give your job up willingly, why?

You need to think before making rash decisions like these. This is your livelihood we’re talking about. Your family’s wellbeing depends on it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics