Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Diaper changing is a disaster
1  2  Next

amother
OP  

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 6:19 pm
I need help and advice asap
Every single time I change my newborns diaper he pees and poops. All. Over. The. Place
He doesn’t just poop, it shoots out and gets everywhere so putting a towel under him doesn’t help. And there isn’t enough warning that it’s going to happen so no time to cover him up
He gets it on the floor on my hands, clothes, the bedding. And then he pees everywhere, even if I put a tissue or a wipe over him. He somehow manages to get past it. And he makes after every feeding so this isn’t a once a day thing.
I’m at my wits end. I stress out every time it’s time for a diaper change. I can’t change him alone. I get very frustrated knowing something will get ruined, either my clothes, his, or the bedding. And that I’ll probably have to run into the shower after. (That really happened)
The worst part is that the baby obviously feels my frustration
Any advice please????

amother
Stonewash

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 6:25 pm
My advice would be to wait five minutes after a bowel movement so you know baby is fully done and then do the diaper change. Newborns often poop and then have a bit more to go before they're done so if you’re too eager you’ll get stuck with what you’re describing.

amother
Tulip

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 6:26 pm
Bathtub

amother
Brickred

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 6:27 pm
For pee, take a wet wipe rub it on the belly, this will stimulate the need to pee. Wait a few seconds before opening diaper.

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 6:37 pm
amother Brickred wrote:
For pee, take a wet wipe rub it on the belly, this will stimulate the need to pee. Wait a few seconds before opening diaper.

Did this. He still somehow peed on his outfit

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 6:38 pm
amother Stonewash wrote:
My advice would be to wait five minutes after a bowel movement so you know baby is fully done and then do the diaper change. Newborns often poop and then have a bit more to go before they're done so if you’re too eager you’ll get stuck with what you’re describing.

So we do this… sometimes works usually doesn’t lol
It’s ridiculous

amother
Jasmine  

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 6:39 pm
Don't change him right away... Wait a bit

amother
Dill

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 7:24 pm
amother OP wrote:
I need help and advice asap
Every single time I change my newborns diaper he pees and poops. All. Over. The. Place
He doesn’t just poop, it shoots out and gets everywhere so putting a towel under him doesn’t help. And there isn’t enough warning that it’s going to happen so no time to cover him up
He gets it on the floor on my hands, clothes, the bedding. And then he pees everywhere, even if I put a tissue or a wipe over him. He somehow manages to get past it. And he makes after every feeding so this isn’t a once a day thing.
I’m at my wits end. I stress out every time it’s time for a diaper change. I can’t change him alone. I get very frustrated knowing something will get ruined, either my clothes, his, or the bedding. And that I’ll probably have to run into the shower after. (That really happened)
The worst part is that the baby obviously feels my frustration
Any advice please????

Wait at least a half hour after he eats to change him. When you change him, first put a clean diaper underneath so if he starts spraying you just hold the diaper down on him.

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 7:26 pm
No advice but your baby sounds very talented 😂

peace2

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 7:26 pm
I found that the motion of bending his legs up into his stomach stimulated pooping because it put his bowels at the right angle so I would do that motion a few times with the diaper still on and it would usually get everything out

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 7:28 pm
Thanks everyone for your replies
We tried all this but next time will try them all together and pray lol

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 7:28 pm
amother Brunette wrote:
No advice but your baby sounds very talented 😂

Haha but it’s not so funny when you’re a week pp and can’t even change the kids diaper 😂😂

amother
  Jasmine

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 7:32 pm
amother OP wrote:
Haha but it’s not so funny when you’re a week pp and can’t even change the kids diaper 😂😂

That's hard. Bh haven't had that experience but I always.
1. Wait a bit to change the baby
2. Put a diaper underneath them so I can use it if needed.
3. If it leaks, wipe all around and take off everything before taking off the diaper.
4. Always change on top of something in case.
5. My baby has pushed a few times and I am always careful to cover him with another diaper right away.

amother
Grape

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 7:44 pm
Omg my daughter did this
One time we were at a wedding and she was about 5 weeks old, for some reason there were literally two bathrooms in the whole hall for both men and women to share (idk it was a weird place) and I needed to change my baby. I went in and of course the whole thing happened where she kept going to the bathroom and every time I put down a clean diaper she would poop again all over. It took me over a half hour to fully finish changing her, meanwhile I hear a man outside yelling about how long someone is taking in the bathroom. I tried shouting back that I was changing a baby but somehow he didn’t hear and I’m standing there so stressed and almost in tears. When I finally leave he gives me a dirty look and I just said something like “sorry I was changing her”. Anyways, now when I think about it it’s kind of funny but it was absolutely so stressful and hard then!
Don’t have any genius advice, definitely try moving the legs around before you start changing but yeah it doesn’t always work.

Hang in there! She outgrew it after a couple months, but I know that sounds like forever when you’re in it

mushkamothers  

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 7:54 pm
Put a big towel under him which you can cover him with and he can soil that.
This will not last forever. Give it another week! He's brand new and so are you. Each day both of you get better at this.

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 7:56 pm
mushkamothers wrote:
Put a big towel under him which you can cover him with and he can soil that.
This will not last forever. Give it another week! He's brand new and so are you. Each day both of you get better at this.

I do that 😭😭
He shoots it lol doesn’t matter what’s under him it’ll end up across the room

amother
Dandelion

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 8:01 pm
Hang in there, new Mom! We all know what it's like and I promise that you will get the hang of it. My baby peed in his own eyes when he was a week old and I felt like the worst Mom ever. I learned to keep the business end of things covered when I was changing him and somehow after a few weeks, I felt like a pro. I even handled a massive blow out doody disaster at a museum and laughed instead of crying. Between nursing and diaper changes, it was a whole new world. Wishing you many delightful years with your new bundle and look forward to your coming back here to update us all on how you are changing diapers like a champ. Also, give yourself a break. You just had a baby! How amazing are you that you did that?

mushkamothers

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 8:05 pm
amother OP wrote:
I do that 😭😭
He shoots it lol doesn’t matter what’s under him it’ll end up across the room

cover him with the towel so he pees right into that. basically make a huge towel diaper.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 8:05 pm
When my oldest was a newborn, I once laid him down for a diaper change. On my bed. Without a changing pad (oops).

Of course, as soon as I took off the diaper, he peed all over my blanket.

No problem, I took off the blanket and put him on the sheet to finish changing him (now his clothes, also).

He promptly peed all over my sheet.

I pulled off the sheet.

So he peed all over the mattress.

I think I had to even laugh at the time! And learned to always have the next diaper ready to go so that he wasn't exposed for more than a second!

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 8:12 pm
mushkamothers wrote:
cover him with the towel so he pees right into that. basically make a huge towel diaper.

The pee I’m not worried about
I’m talking about his number 2 that ends up everywhere cuz it smells and stains and it’s gross
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics