Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
School changing hours last minute?!?

amother
OP  

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 9:11 pm
I hate when schools assume we can all drop everything at their whim.
That we can switch our work schedules at the flick of a switch. That we didn't pick daycare around school schedules that have been the same for years.

We found out about 1.5 weeks before school started that school on Friday now ends 45 minutes earlier. Well I can't get there on time from work now!!
Why no notice?
Why no explanation?
They increased our Tuition for way fewer hours?!
What am I to do?
I work to pay tuition and struggle to cover rent, food etc as is. And now I need to find a way to magically travel faster than traffic?

I know this is more of a vent. I can't complain to them because they won't listen anyways and will claim "there are circumstances" that led to this but no explanation.
They also changed the uniform a few years back a couple of weeks before school started when most of us already bought our stuff.

Schools don't care about practical stuff outside their 4 doors. Like last minute scheduling (kids off school, kids on school...)

(And no I can't change schools.)

sushilover

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 9:12 pm
I am a big believe in communication. Even if they can't or won't change this policy, if parents call, they'll think twice the next time they want to do something inconvenient.

amother
Lightgreen

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 9:48 pm
amother OP wrote:
I hate when schools assume we can all drop everything at their whim.
That we can switch our work schedules at the flick of a switch. That we didn't pick daycare around school schedules that have been the same for years.

We found out about 1.5 weeks before school started that school on Friday now ends 45 minutes earlier. Well I can't get there on time from work now!!
Why no notice?
Why no explanation?
They increased our Tuition for way fewer hours?!
What am I to do?
I work to pay tuition and struggle to cover rent, food etc as is. And now I need to find a way to magically travel faster than traffic?

I know this is more of a vent. I can't complain to them because they won't listen anyways and will claim "there are circumstances" that led to this but no explanation.
They also changed the uniform a few years back a couple of weeks before school started when most of us already bought our stuff.

Schools don't care about practical stuff outside their 4 doors. Like last minute scheduling (kids off school, kids on school...)

(And no I can't change schools.)

Write a complaint. Gather like minded parents and compose a letter together. Be polite- but be firm. Numbers talk. Changing hours is one thing, giving no notice is quite another . The more parents you get together, the more likely they will think twice about something like this in the future.

amother
IndianRed

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 9:50 pm
My child's school did this last year. The schools literally don't care.

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 9:56 pm
I was going to say maybe the bus company made them change. But you need to pick up your kid? No way.

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 9:56 pm
They'll tell you it's not their fault, it was because of the bus company!! They can't pick up the kids at 12pm! LOL

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 11:29 pm
I would call and tell them that since this was so last monite, you're sure they know that many parents will not be able to make it work with transportation or childcare or both, so can they please tell you about the complimentary aftercare they have arranged on site for those who need it? And if they haven't put it together yet, please do so and get in touch ASAP, since it will be needed for this Friday.

theotherone1

Post Tue, Sep 03 2024, 1:40 am
This is not okay. I would be livid.

amother
  OP

Post Tue, Sep 03 2024, 2:59 am
No bussing. OOT.
And no other parent would complain. It is "not done" and I can't be the only one complaining... I have a kid with some learning issues and I don't want them to just kick us out. Because schools here do that if you are a "problem family". (Which can mean complaining about them changing rules on us or last minute changes. Ie normal complaints).

There is no other school locally that is even close to the right fit for my kids.

But by the time my youngest is in 8th we likely will have 1 hour of school a day... maybe covid style. Banging head

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Sep 03 2024, 11:23 am
Last year my son's school changed their hours and never notified the parents. We found out the second day of school. They nade the hours longer which was probably better for most parents but it cased me to need to come twice for pickup I stead of both children together.
(This is in Israel I think this might be normal here.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics