Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Changing diapers

amother
OP  

Post Mon, Aug 05 2024, 3:47 pm
Am I spoiling my baby if I change her right when she cries?

mushkamothers  

Post Mon, Aug 05 2024, 3:50 pm
Wow what has parenting advice come to. No, you're taking care of her needs. Actually, responding right away will teach her to cry less (since she can depend on you) and form secure attachment.

Trust your gut here and don't worry about "spoiling". Would you let a dog sit in its excrement?

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Aug 05 2024, 3:51 pm
No. It’s really hard to spoil a baby under a year, honestly. Keeping them happy at that age is just good parenting- you’re providing security. Changing them immediately is a good idea, it prevents rashes. Why would it be a bad thing?

Blessing1

Post Mon, Aug 05 2024, 3:55 pm
amother OP wrote:
Am I spoiling my baby if I change her right when she cries?

Absolutely not. You can't spoil a baby. You're supposed to care for them.
You are doing what you're supposed to be doing. Why would a normal parent intentionally leave a baby to sit in their dirty diaper? Would you like if someone makes you sit in your soil??

Aurora

Post Mon, Aug 05 2024, 3:56 pm
No, you're being a great mom by listening to your baby and helping baby with what she's asking from you.

nolacola

Post Mon, Aug 05 2024, 4:34 pm
No. It's probably irritating her skin.

amother
  OP

Post Mon, Aug 05 2024, 6:35 pm
Whoever sees me keeps bashing me that I’m teaching my baby that whenever they cry I’m going to be there right away and it’s not going to teach them to be patient.

mushkamothers

Post Mon, Aug 05 2024, 6:43 pm
amother OP wrote:
Whoever sees me keeps bashing me that I’m teaching my baby that whenever they cry I’m going to be there right away and it’s not going to teach them to be patient.

That's exactly what you want your baby to learn.

You're getting bad, outdated and dangerous advice - even if these people mean well, you shouldn't listen to advice that has you ignoring your baby and going against your own instinct. Even if it's your mother or mother in law. Smile and ignore.

You need to learn to listen to your own instinct and be able to make and defend your own parenting choices, even if people in your life try to convince you out of them.

(Not to sales pitch here but I made a course for new mothers for exactly this reason.)[b]

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Aug 05 2024, 6:45 pm
amother OP wrote:

Making sure your baby is clean is a basic need that must be met, same as feeding.

Making sure your child's core needs are met is not spoiling!

amother
Hibiscus

Post Mon, Aug 05 2024, 6:45 pm
It’s ok to let them learn to wait a few min in their crib or on their mat while You use the bathroom or eat, but real needs like food and diaper should be fast

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Aug 05 2024, 6:48 pm
It's called taking care of your child. It's your obligation.

Op, there is no need to worry about spoiling a baby.

amother
Pistachio

Post Mon, Aug 05 2024, 6:51 pm
There is a time where you need to teach your children to be patient and not expect everything immediately. That time is not when they're a baby, and even for an older child, the things you teach them to be patient for are not their most basic human needs.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics