Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
WWYD side affects worth it?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 5:38 pm
I am so torn, which in itself is really sad that it's even a question, but I digress.
I have a very long history of binge eating disorder and failed attempts at weight loss. Losing 50, gaining 60, over and over again. I also have ADHD. My therapist believes there is a strong connection between the two and advised me to speak to my doctor about an ADHD medication that is also for binge eating. I thought this was nuts but then someone on here also mentioned it. The more research I did the more I found out how common it is for people with ADHD to also have BED and how this medication makes a huge difference, all of sudden they feel in control.
I finally took the plunge discussed it with my doctor and he said sure we can start you on the lowest dose and work our way up. He explained that usually people need a much higher dose for BED but the protocol is to start lowest and then go up.
I start on the lowest dose and it definitely helps. The food noise is silent, I lost these urges to just eat and eat. At night it wears off and I get strong cravings so I need to work on that. I took it for a month and I lost 1 lb with zero dieting and eating all kinds of things. I have never in my life had such a relationship with food. It's just neutral. I can say yes, I can say no, it's not perfect but I feel like a normal person not a crazy carb addict.
Here's the catch. The meds make me so so tired and my brain so so foggy. I feel like I'm functioning on 3 hours of sleep even though I am getting great sleep.
I don't know what to do. I'm literally crying that finally help that's such a tease. I found something that works but I can't live like a zombie can I?
I keep googling looking for a solution to this tiredness, praying and searching for something to combat this side affect. I went off coffee (which I love), I'm trying all the tricks I know of for brain fog but it's not really helping.
My DH thinks it's crazy and I should go off it. He isn't affected by the side affect, just from hearing me discuss it, he thinking go off it. He also is one of those, just stop eating carbs and you'll get skinny kinda guys.
I am so so hesitant to let go of this food freedom.

Please don't recommend a diet, I've been on every program under the sun. I'm asking about this.

I do not qualify for the shots because my numbers are healthy (aside for BMI of 39) and we have thyroid disease in our family. Even if I was willing to take the risk, I cannot afford them.

If you know me in real life, just make believe you don't Smile

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 5:56 pm
I dont know you Smile but I do have ADHD and impulse food issues. I started taking Bupropion for my depression, which has some side effects for ADHD and also lowers my appetite. I've lost weight unintentionally. As you say, no food noise. Maybe discuss other medications with your Dr?

amother
Rainbow

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 6:16 pm
Look up the mechanism of action for the adhd med you're on and find a natural alternative. If it increases dopamine, there's l dopa and l tyrosine.

Also check your thyroid function very very thoroughly, hidden hypothyroidism can mimic adhd plus it can cause compulsive eating.

Also, read this article about the purpose of the gut microbiome in quieting food noise. Not coincidentally, gut bacteria play a role in dopamine production. https://www.scientificamerican.....mpic/

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 6:17 pm
amother Whitesmoke wrote:
I dont know you Smile but I do have ADHD and impulse food issues. I started taking Bupropion for my depression, which has some side effects for ADHD and also lowers my appetite. I've lost weight unintentionally. As you say, no food noise. Maybe discuss other medications with your Dr?

This is a general doctor not a psychiatrist. I don't have depression, he's not going to prescribe antidepressants for weight loss. He was on board with this because I have ADHD.

ETA: I've been on Wellbutrin before, it did nothing for me ADHD wise or weight wise. I didn't realize you were talking about that medication.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 6:21 pm
Due to a family history of graves disease my thyroid is checked thoroughly on a very consistent basis.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise