Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Teen refuses to blow nose
Previous  1  2

amother
Starflower

Post Tue, Jun 04 2024, 10:01 am
Sometimes what looks like sensory is actually rooted in ocd. Can this be true for your son OP?

amother
Cinnamon

Post Tue, Jun 04 2024, 10:22 am
I think he will be fine. I never figured out how to blow my nose and I'm in my forties I'm a successful professional, happily married, mother etc. Just keep it in perspective especially if everything else is fine.

Anonymiss 1

Post Tue, Jun 04 2024, 12:53 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you all for your helpful replies, I agree the best way to go is for help with sensory issues. I'm assuming doing something enough will be a sort of 'exposure therapy' and make it easier with time.
And the type of person that does sensory work is an OT?

Yes, OTs do sensory work. My only experience with an OT for sensory work is with a much younger child, but I don’t think that should make a difference. In any case, this could be a good place to start. They could always refer you elsewhere, if needed. Kudos for trying to help your child!

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Jun 04 2024, 1:19 pm
Adults have started using OTs too! It's never too late! Get a good OT for him.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 11:51 am
Sorry I went MIA for a while. Thank you all for your helpful replies.

To the successful adult I'll have to admit that I too usually cannot blow my nose, BUT when I'm sick then no issues there. I'm afraid to write more lest I be yelled at for TMI Wink

To the one that said it'll come to him when he wants to he will, I pray and hope so.

I might look into OT as other said, though who knows if he'll be willing to go.

thanks again

TwinsMommy

Post Yesterday at 12:21 am
haha I have a shidduch for him. My 17 year old daughter has physical issues and CANNOT blow her nose---- I'd been trying to teach her for years and simply gave up. Whenever she has a cold she sniffs in over and over and drives us all nuts. Thankfully she doesn't get colds very often. It's not that she won't, it's that she physically cannot learn! Some sort of weird dyspraxia. She's currently trying to learn to swim. She can swim elementary backstroke now but getting her face in the water? HAH! Having her take a deep breath and blow bubbles out her nose--- it's like a weird mental block. She also doesn't feel like other people--- she doesn't feel pain the same as others, and she never developed the RAIR--- the reflex that tells you when you need to defecate--- she has an ileostomy bag because her colon became a royal mess due to never being able to be toilet trained for #2. I'd never before met an adult or almost adult who didn't blow their nose but here we are! Solidarity, fellow momma!

amother
OP

Post Yesterday at 7:28 am
Hmmm. He's 15.5 I'll have to see if he's okay with a girl older than him. Wink

And wow, that really sounds like a lot for you to be dealing with. I'm sorry.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Yesterday at 7:40 am
One of my kids was like that until he got a severe ear infection. The pain was unbearable. And he hates taking antibiotics but had no choice. He suffered so much from the ear infection. The ear infection developed because he had been sniffling so much when he had a cold. Eventually the fluid traveled up to his ears. Now all I have to say is- I don’t want you to get an ear infection and he stops sniffling and gets a tissue.

amother
OP

Post Yesterday at 5:05 pm
amother Periwinkle wrote:
One of my kids was like that until he got a severe ear infection. The pain was unbearable. And he hates taking antibiotics but had no choice. He suffered so much from the ear infection. The ear infection developed because he had been sniffling so much when he had a cold. Eventually the fluid traveled up to his ears. Now all I have to say is- I don’t want you to get an ear infection and he stops sniffling and gets a tissue.

wow. that's really sad, but can I say I'm really happy for you in a way? You got something to work with now Wink
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)