Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Is Amazon purposely deterring returns now?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 7:25 am
We live in Brooklyn and I don't drive.
Amazon's return policy, where I can walk to a nearby shopping center for my returns or hand it to my UPS delivery man, is why I shop on Amazon.

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 7:30 am
Amarante wrote:
It is free 🤷‍♀️ and most places don’t have any way to return for free.

Walmart+ has free returns from home.

Amarante

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 8:54 am
amother Silver wrote:
Walmart+ has free returns from home.

Wamarts is not comparable to amazon at all as they don't have the incredible selection of stuff. They don't carry Miele vacuum cleaners and I got mine at a great price from amazon.

I do buy occasionally on Walmart.com but it would make no sense for me to purchase their Plus Plan.

Also Amazon has benefits for lots of people that go beyond the shipping - their music and video is free. My credit card gives me 5% on amazon purchases through their points. I also get one free Kindle book a month and there are some reduced rates for accessing a lot of Kindle books.

Suffice it to say at least for the foreseeable future most people are going to continue to use Prime because overall it represents value and convenience.

Also - the vast majority of people don't have problems with the return policies - they either don't return much OR it is not an issue to use their return policies because it it relatively easy for them to get to a place to hand it in.

Last edited by Amarante on Wed, Jun 26 2024, 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

mfb

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 11:47 am
I found that sometimes the only way to get free ups drop off is if I write the item arrived to late. So I do that sometimes because I pay for prime that tells me free shipping and returns. Having to go drop off in a specific place doesn’t work for me. Ups trucks stop in front of my house every day sometimes more than once and I like to be able to give it to the drivers. I don’t drive and having to shlep someplace means me paying a car service and not free anymore

amother
Dustypink

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 11:52 am
mfb wrote:
I found that sometimes the only way to get free ups drop off is if I write the item arrived to late. So I do that sometimes because I pay for prime that tells me free shipping and returns. Having to go drop off in a specific place doesn’t work for me. Ups trucks stop in front of my house every day sometimes more than once and I like to be able to give it to the drivers. I don’t drive and having to shlep someplace means me paying a car service and not free anymore

So lying is okay because the truth would be inconvenient.

That is a really slippery slope in terms of justifying unethical conduct.

Did you realize that there is a seller who could potentially be negatively impacted by your lying about shipping arrival?

Not to mention that people lying about stuff like that increases costs and decreases benefits for other people.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 11:54 am
amother Dustypink wrote:
So lying is okay because the truth would be inconvenient.

That is a really slippery slope in terms of justifying unethical conduct.

Did you realize that there is a seller who could potentially be negatively impacted by your lying about shipping arrival?

Not to mention that people lying about stuff like that increases costs and decreases benefits for other people.

We pay for free returns. Not to have to go return in a specific place. They charge prime for this

amother
Dustypink

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 11:57 am
amother DarkYellow wrote:
We pay for free returns. Not to have to go return in a specific place. They charge prime for this

You pay for exactly what you are entitled to get.

If you have to lie to get a certain service, then you are not paying for it.

This is exactly what I meant by people justifying their lies in order to rationalize their unethical behavior.

If you are entitled to having your package picked up at your home, then you wouldn't have to lie in order to receive this service.

Free returns" is defined as being free within the guidelines that are for each item. And there is always a free way to return - you are not a special snowflake because you don't *like* the free methods/

amother
DarkYellow

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 11:58 am
amother Dustypink wrote:
You pay for exactly what you are entitled to get.

If you have to lie to get a certain service, then you are not paying for it.

This is exactly what I meant by people justifying their lies in order to rationalize their unethical behavior.

If you are entitled to having your package picked up at your home, then you wouldn't have to lie in order to receive this service.

Free returns" is defined as being free within the guidelines that are for each item. And there is always a free way to return - you are not a special snowflake because you don't *like* the free methods/

I am not asking for ups pickup. I just want to be able to print the label myself and then return with a truck I find. Which always was free every time until recently. Now it sometimes is and sometimes isn’t

amother
Dustypink

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 12:02 pm
I am not asking for ups pickup. I just want to be able to print the label myself and then return with a truck I find. Which always was free every time until recently. Now it sometimes is and sometimes isn’t

They changed their policies and so that method seems to not be available for free anymore.

For whatever reason, that method is no longer economical feasible for amazon or UPS - maybe UPS is charging them or that method because it requires more overhead to deal with the packages when they are given to the delivery person.

If you have to lie in order to get it, then it is unethical.

I understand you prefer that method but there are many things people prefer or want but that doesn't justify lying or stealing in order to get them.

What about wearing something and returning it?

What about claiming something is defective and returning to a store like Nordstroms or Costco with very generous return policies?

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 1:20 pm

If you lie, you are stealing from the seller. And fyi many sellers are Jewish.

Just chat with a rep and ask for a free label. It takes time but they always do it.

Or reconsider your prime membership and shop elsewhere.

They changed their policies. That doesn’t give you a right to steal.

amother
Dustypink

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 1:51 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
If you lie, you are stealing from the seller. And fyi many sellers are Jewish.

Just chat with a rep and ask for a free label. It takes time but they always do it.

Or reconsider your prime membership and shop elsewhere.

They changed their policies. That doesn’t give you a right to steal.

I don't disagree with your comment but I really don't understand when people state that you might be stealing from a Jew as if stealing from a non-Jewish person is okay.

The same economic losses are felt equally by sellers whatever their religion is. I don't justify stealing because the owner is a Buddhist or Catholic.

Last time I checked, it didn't limit the Ten Commandments to stealing from Jews. Very Happy

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 1:53 pm
amother OP wrote:
Ive never gone to a UPS store. I used to use a drop off place right near my home.

Is Amazon now purposely deterring returns, by forcing people to bring returns to a UPS store that can be miles away from where you live?

To clarify, you're dropping off returns without a labeling in a UPS drop off box on a corner?

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 2:00 pm
amother Dustypink wrote:
I don't disagree with your comment but I really don't understand when people state that you might be stealing from a Jew as if stealing from a non-Jewish person is okay.

The same economic losses are felt equally by sellers whatever their religion is. I don't justify stealing because the owner is a Buddhist or Catholic.

Last time I checked, it didn't limit the Ten Commandments to stealing from Jews. Very Happy

You’re right but some people for some reason mistakenly think it’s ok to steal from non Jews so I wanted to stress that there are many Jewish sellers on Amazon who will be nagtively affected by false claims of “package didn’t arrive on time” or “box damaged”

amother
Dustypink

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 2:08 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
You’re right but some people for some reason mistakenly think it’s ok to steal from non Jews so I wanted to stress that there are many Jewish sellers on Amazon who will be nagtively affected by false claims of “package didn’t arrive on time” or “box damaged”

Understood and I appreciate your clarification.

It is a sore point with me in terms of how some posts on imamother use religion as a justification for less than "nice" behavior.

I wouldn't steal from the Korean fruit stand or the corner bodega and justify it because they weren't Jewish.

lucky322

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 10:48 pm
amother OP wrote:
Im an Amazon Prime customer too. They were great UNTIL TODAY. They werent great today. For a shoe I ordered that didnt fit right and was flimsily made, theyre insisting I return to a UPS store miles away.

I would contact customer service again. explain that I'm a long time prime member and this is a real hardship for me. I am dissatisfied with previous attempt to resolve my issue.

If it's still within the return time, try them again.

personally, I prefer messaging then via app than calling.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics