Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Tights in the summer argh
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Tights
My community doesn't wear tights  
 28%  [ 43 ]
Most of my community wears tights so that's what I do but I would rather not  
 32%  [ 49 ]
Most of my community wears tights and I wear them b'shitta  
 33%  [ 51 ]
I wear tights by choice  
 6%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 153

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 10:39 am
Comptroller wrote:
Why is there no option "my community wears tights, but I don't"?
Is it so unimaginable that someone would go against their community's flow?

I voted the middle option but this. I don’t actually wear tights. My community is majority tights-wearers but not all and I’m one of the not all.

Unigala

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 10:59 am
I am a good BY girl

but in the summer I always say when I wear tights (nude) I am tempted to become modern.
I dont know what my problem is.. maybe im sensory or something..?? but wearing those stockings is 100% pure torture for me..
its like nails on a chalkboard the whole day.

BHHH for knee highs, which make it somewhat more bearable
and BHH for the new sock and sneaker trend!

Debbie

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 12:08 pm
Some women in my community wear tights and others don't. I do wear tights but here in North Israel the temperatures can reach 36C and even higher in the summer; so I only wear 10-15 denier when it's really hot, or if my skirt or dress is well below my knees I wear knee highs; I could go without in my community but I have a skin condition and I prefer to cover at least to some extent.

Busybee5

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 12:09 pm
There's no option for 'I wear a maxi dress or skirt with socks!' no tights for me in the hot weather!

amother
Trillium

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 12:12 pm
There is no minhag hamakom in my area. I wear tights when I want to. Usually wear knee socks with short skirts. My husband thinks standard panty hose with short skirts isn't really tznius. I do wear it sometimes. But I hate the way pantyhose feel in general.

Debbie

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 12:18 pm
amother Trillium wrote:
There is no minhag hamakom in my area. I wear tights when I want to. Usually wear knee socks with short skirts. My husband thinks standard panty hose with short skirts isn't really tznius. I do wear it sometimes. But I hate the way pantyhose feel in general.

Quick question panty hose are sheer and tights are opaque or semi opaque, is that right? It's just that I'm from the UK and sheer, opaque, semi opaque etc...are just known as tights.

Busybee5

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 12:30 pm
Debbie wrote:
Quick question panty hose are sheer and tights are opaque or semi opaque, is that right? It's just that I'm from the UK and sheer, opaque, semi opaque etc...are just known as tights.

We call 'nude' tights 'skin colour' Smile

Debbie

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 12:35 pm
Busybee5 wrote:
We call 'nude' tights 'skin colour' Smile

I think a lot of people do including me, although it's not necessarily so inclusive of the different shades of skin.

Busybee5

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 12:39 pm
Debbie wrote:
I think a lot of people do including me, although it's not necessarily so inclusive of the different shades of skin.

If they're black then they can wear their 'skin colour ' iykwim!

Debbie

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 12:46 pm
Busybee5 wrote:
If they're black then they can wear their 'skin colour ' iykwim!

Indeed, I am white and I wear whatever looks good with my outfit, I slightly prefer barely black to actual black though, and hopefully I can put the thin ones on without putting my fingers through them!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 1:48 pm
Unigala wrote:
I am a good BY girl

but in the summer I always say when I wear tights (nude) I am tempted to become modern.
I dont know what my problem is.. maybe im sensory or something..?? but wearing those stockings is 100% pure torture for me..
its like nails on a chalkboard the whole day.

BHHH for knee highs, which make it somewhat more bearable
and BHH for the new sock and sneaker trend!

What sock and sneaker trend? What kind of socks? I haven't seen adults in them.

amother
Foxglove

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 1:51 pm
BH I live in Baltimore where there is not a minhag hamakom for tights.

I used to wear stockings or knee socks all the time but I’m in a more modern neighborhood now and it’s definitely not the standard across the board

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 3:04 pm
I havent owned a pair of tights or stockings in probably 20 years.
I live in a community where everyone wears what they want.
I wear dresses below my knee and sandals.
Never wore tights for tznius reasons. Never learned I had to.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 3:19 pm
Three words that saved my life:

Midi/Maxi skirts
Knee highs
slip shorts.

Nuff said

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 3:26 pm
I always cover my legs, but hate tights. I inly use them for Shabbat, YT or simchas. The rest of the days I wear cotton leggings and cotton socks.

amother
NeonOrange

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 3:43 pm
My community standard is legs fully covered but the modern women don't.
I hate stockings in the summer. If our Rabbonim said it's ok to go without I would in a heartbeat!
I really don't look nice in maxi because I'm short and fat.
I wear knee highs and slipshorts when I can, or leggings and socks/sneakers. When I absolute must I wear stockings.

amother
Skyblue

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 11:53 pm
amother Papayawhip wrote:
Just pointing out that most poskim consider legwear and lower leg coverage to actually be minhag hamakom, and we are actually required to go according to our community standards.
Moving to KJ and wearing short socks or no socks with a knee length skirt is actually assur because community standards in that community say that the lower leg must be covered.

Exactly.
We need to follow Daas Yehudis (minhag of the community)
it's not just like ok, everyone in my community sends bought goods for a simcha but I'll send something homemade....or everyone does a night event but I'll do a brunch...like you do you!!! go for it!!
but tznius is not always "you do you"
if a community of women dress a certain way it actually becomes Halacha for those in that community.
at least that is my understanding of what I learned (from Rabbi Yitzchak Berkowitz)
(and of course within community norms there will still be a variety so there will likely be room for creativity and your own self-expression Smile

worknights1313

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 11:58 pm
I wear sheer knee highs. I can’t bear to wear tights due to sensory issues.

amother
Pistachio

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 12:00 am
JPF here,
I relate to the sentiment of my girls wearing knee socks and I’m wearing short socks! I do feel like a hypocrite!!
Nude stockings make me sweat thru my underwear. It is worlds most uncomfortable feeling and if anyone has solutions, pls share !! (If I knew the source of the sweat I’d put on deodorant there - is it coming from the underwear lines? V-ginal fluid? Can’t figure it out help!!)
I wear a maxi skirt with short white socks and sneakers . My daughters 10&8 wear knee socks. They are like hey- why do u wear short socks. I always say cuz my skirts are long but truth is I bought my 10 year old a maxi skirt and camp rules are still to wear knee socks …

amother
Mimosa

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 4:11 am
To the wonen who wear knee highs, how do you find them comfortable?

And what are slips shorts to the woman who said '3 things changed her life?'

I hattee tights but I still wear.
I wear anti chafing shorts ONTOP of my tights and when I wear a long skirt or at home with bare legs I still wear them.

Problem is when I wear a longish skirt and knee highs with the shorts it just feels like so many layers, like shorts, knee highs and thwn shoes and a dress or skirt over that is too much for me!!

How do ppl manage?

I really dont like the feeling of long skirts too, it just feels like so much extra material...am I too sensory?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics