Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Tights in the summer argh
1  2  3  Next

Tights
My community doesn't wear tights  
 28%  [ 43 ]
Most of my community wears tights so that's what I do but I would rather not  
 32%  [ 49 ]
Most of my community wears tights and I wear them b'shitta  
 33%  [ 51 ]
I wear tights by choice  
 6%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 153

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 12:02 am
Curious, how many people wear tights because it's what most of the community does, but wouldx wear them if it wasn't for the community?

I wear them to some places and I'm thinking of switching to ankle covering socks because tights are sweaty and gross but knee socks looks stupid and long skirts aren't practical for everything. But my daughters wear knee socks so it seems hypocritical. And most people here wear tights. So far, I wear tights but I'm thinking of x.

amother
Mocha

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 12:11 am
Do you mean rights (opaque) or stockings (sheer)

My community is diverse but I wear stockings 95% of the time

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 12:13 am
My community wears tights and I wear knee highs/ankle socks (if it's a maxi skirt)

groisamomma

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 12:36 am
I think here everyone wears whatever they want. How could anyone see what’s under your skirt? Knee-highs and tights look exactly the same.

If you mean switching to ankle socks with short skirts then that’s not a community thing. That’s just a statement if nobody else wears it. If you want to wear it and you’re fine with your kids doing the same if they want to, then what’s the problem?

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 12:43 am
I wear short socks with long skirts and pantyhose with short skirts.

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 12:47 am
I didnt vote.

Covered legs are minhag hamakom where I live, not davka tights (ie ladies will wear knee socks or shorter under long skirts) but I wear tights

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 12:48 am
groisamomma wrote:
I think here everyone wears whatever they want. How could anyone see what’s under your skirt? Knee-highs and tights look exactly the same.

You've never seen a lady's skirt move in a way that revealed her legs if she was wearing knee socks?

amother
Wandflower

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 1:03 am
I wear barely there thin hose in the summer. I don't find it easier in the summer without when I'm walking. I end up getting dirt/pollen on my legs and I itch. (When I don't to have work and go in and out of the car, it's a different story.)

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 1:08 am
amother Slategray wrote:
You've never seen a lady's skirt move in a way that revealed her legs if she was wearing knee socks?

If her skirt is long enough, no. And if you are talking about situations like getting out of car, seeing your thighs and knees isn't okay if you are wearing tights either. Tights don't offer you any halachic coverage over there.

patzer

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 8:31 am
How come there's no poll option for those of us who wear tights by choice?
I wear tights because that's what I grew up wearing and because they're comfortable.
If they weren't comfortable, or if I preferred something else, I'd switch.
As far as what others in my community wear: I really don't pay a drop of attention as to what's on other people's legs. Really, I have no idea.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 8:51 am
I don’t mind tights. I sweat more with exposed skin.

amother
Glitter

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 10:01 am
amother OP wrote:
Curious, how many people wear tights because it's what most of the community does, but wouldx wear them if it wasn't for the community?

I wear them to some places and I'm thinking of switching to ankle covering socks because tights are sweaty and gross but knee socks looks stupid and long skirts aren't practical for everything. But my daughters wear knee socks so it seems hypocritical. And most people here wear tights. So far, I wear tights but I'm thinking of x.

I just switched to long chafing shorts and thigh highs. Looks exactly like tights but so much more breathable and comfortable on top. Especially being plus size and pregnant

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 10:14 am
amother Glitter wrote:
I just switched to long chafing shorts and thigh highs. Looks exactly like tights but so much more breathable and comfortable on top. Especially being plus size and pregnant

Which thigh highs do you find comfortable?

amother
Narcissus

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 10:17 am
I switched to knee highs when I was pregnant and I didn't switch back. I make sure to wear skirts that are long enough. So much more comfortable.

ETA I'm in a community that wears tights.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 10:17 am
Poll doesn't include not wearing them when much of the community does it a mixed community.

Comptroller

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 10:24 am
Why is there no option "my community wears tights, but I don't"?
Is it so unimaginable that someone would go against their community's flow?

amother
Glitter

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 10:31 am
Iymnok wrote:
Which thigh highs do you find comfortable?

I got a random brand on Amazon but without charging shorts on top, they aren't comfortable. The shorts make them stay up and keeps everything soft and cotton instead of feeling like weird itchy lace

oneofakind

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 10:32 am
I wear knee highs and socks whenever possible. I buy summer clothing that would cover properly.

patzer

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 10:34 am
To the poster who "hugged" my post: If you disagree with me, feel free to say so. I'm open to hearing a different viewpoint.
"Hugging" posts is annoying and immature.

amother
Papayawhip

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 10:37 am
Comptroller wrote:
Why is there no option "my community wears tights, but I don't"?
Is it so unimaginable that someone would go against their community's flow?

Just pointing out that most poskim consider legwear and lower leg coverage to actually be minhag hamakom, and we are actually required to go according to our community standards.
Moving to KJ and wearing short socks or no socks with a knee length skirt is actually assur because community standards in that community say that the lower leg must be covered.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics