Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Help me cut back

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 8:36 pm
Dh bh earns a nice living and puts away savings every month. Unfortunately some business investments aren’t turning a profit like they used to. And We recently had a very large expense that set us back.
I should have been better at budgeting but I just don’t know how. When we were newly married I was much more frugal. I knew which yogurt brands to buy, I only cut my own fruits and veggies.
with a large family I don’t overspend on luxury items but I will spend more when convenient. Like I shop at the nearby grocery that’s more expensive, rather than drive 1/2 hour away for deals. I don’t have time (I work part time). I buy ready cut produce, lots of frozen veggies and fruit, etc, many things that are just convenient. I limit takeout to pizza once a week. I rarely buy takeout otherwise.
There’s also the spending on clothes, shoes, camp/school items, household, etc. I have a lot of cleaning help but dh wants to keep that, feels it’s necessary for the house to function.

Can anyone offer any tips how I can cut back? Hidden ways I can save?

I cancelled my spa membership this month. Debating if I should cancel a child’s optional therapy (she could benefit but will survive without it). I order only necessary groceries, very little extras. Would love to cut back more.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 8:42 pm
I will only recommend that you speak to the child’s therapist before stopping. It might really be more necessary than you think.

amother
Blushpink

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 8:52 pm
Following.. I’m going through a similar situation where I was comf spending more and now cutting back. I canceled a child’s therapy for now as well.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 9:01 pm
Cut back on the conveniences you do such as the precut fruits and veggies. Drive a little further if you get good deals. Stop ordering pizza buy frozen pizza dough and make your own. Only buy what you need on kosher supermarkets otherwise shop at aldi/Walmart

Aurora

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 9:05 pm
I would start by trying to avoid buying the pre-cut fruits and veggies, plus other convenience foods. They really do add up.

amother
Bergamot

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 10:03 pm
Sounds like you know exactly want to do but it’s easier not to do it.

Therapy is not the place to cut

Everything you listed is

amother
Mulberry

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 10:24 pm
You know the answer. It seems like it feels too difficult but you can do it. Make simpler meals.
Get your husband and kids to help (they can peel and chop unless they are toddlers!).
Shop around for best prices.
Cook based off sales.
Buy bulk.

amother
Raspberry

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 10:51 pm
I don't know where you live, but if you have a Walmart in your area you can get the bulk of your groceries delivered. Shop at the local store only for the "frum" products you can't buy there.

Skip the precut fruits and veggies (maybe one of your kids will help, my 7yo LOVES chopping vegetables!).

Buy frozen pizza instead of getting takeout. It's more expensive than buying dough, but way way easier and still much cheaper than buying fresh.

Try to base one or two meals a week on tuna or eggs or beans. Shakshuka, omelets, quiche, tuna pasta, tacos and beans, etc.

amother
DarkCyan

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 1:11 am
I have found deliveries from Target ($100/yr delivery) to be great. Pantry/freezer items, toiletries, cleaning products all less than my local store. If you have the app, they alert you to sales and coupons. Sometimes they have promotions where they give $5-10 gift cards if you buy a certain amount of products. The app saves them automatically. Buying their brands for pasta, sugar, ziploc bags etc reduces the cost even more. Not such a fan of their produce. Might just be my store.

amother
Valerian

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 4:08 am
I cut out paper goods, yogurts, precut chicken. I tried cutting individual snacks but realized the kids were overpacking from the big bag, lots got wasted and it wasn't saving any money. I don't buy drinks, only tap water which I freeze to slush in the summer. Very minimal air conditioning and heat. In the summer cross ventilation and ceiling fans work great. In very heavy heat, thick curtains on the windows really keep the sun from beating down. I dont send my babies out they start school at pre1a. I use Liberty Healthshare. I do clothing swaps with friends, especially coats.
(I do have cleaning help, tons of arts and crafts projects, my kids get music lessons frequent trips etc so I'm not really frugal but like this I feel like I'm doing my part to help the family finances)

amother
Eggshell

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 4:39 am
Do you subscribe to any magazines? I can my friend's already read magazines.

ImmaBubby

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 7:42 am
Ignore any ad or email or whatsapp that says "Must Have".
Unsubscribe from any online stores that are generally tempting for you. What you don't know about will only help you.

lamplighter

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 9:00 am
Write down everything you spend this month. Then look back at it and see where you can cut.
I would faster cut my own vegetables than a child's therapy but there may be other places to cut.

rmbg

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 9:37 am
You answered your own question. Cut your own vegetables. Stop buying pizza. Buy frozen pizza or buy frozen dough. You wrote that you only buy necessary groceries but your previous paragraph says the opposite.

amother
Pear

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 11:07 am
My tip is
1. 2x a week eat a really cheap and filling meal - rice & beans and some cut cucumbers
Think things that cost $1-$1.50 per person.
Spaghetti with a fried egg on top.
Homemade pancakes and omelets
Grilled cheese and creamy soup

2. Repurpose leftovers. Nothing should be thrown away
Ex- sometimes I have extra roasted veggies from Shabbos- I make a blended soup and freeze.

Sometimes I have extra salmon and or tilapia I mash it up add an egg and make fish patties- they freeze great.

Extra peppers can be chopped and frozen to use later on for sautéing or can be roasted peeled and frozen

Extra chicken on the bone can be shredded and used for tacos

Leftover challah becomes bread crumbs

Watch your Amazon (on-line) purchases
Even if it’s a great buy
If you don’t need it it’s an extra expense

For kids snack buy popcorn (not the microwaveable one) and pop it yourself
Kids can get creative with all types of spices.
Cinnamon sugar
Spicy
Sweet and spicy
Garlic Rosemary
Plain salt
Sprinkle the spices while popcorn is still hot
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics