Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info
Dd has too much stuff to bring back from seminary
Previous  1  2

amother
Alyssum

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 6:59 pm
How does she have so much stuff?
Give away seforim, bedding, towels, uniform skirts, things she won’t need like shower caddy, hangers etc. Throw out old shabbos outfits and old sneakers she won’t want to wear as a kallah meidel. Why would she have more than 3 suitcases after that?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 8:06 pm
amother Feverfew wrote:
I don't think most girls buy much stuff in Israel that are bigger than a tehillim.

When I was in seminary, I flew back with the same amount of suitcases I came with (3/4) and I gave away my comforter.

I brought home my notes and seforim instead.
I definitely wasn't buying clothes there.

What do you mean by you came there with 3/4 suitcases

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 8:09 pm
amother Alyssum wrote:
How does she have so much stuff?
Give away seforim, bedding, towels, uniform skirts, things she won’t need like shower caddy, hangers etc. Throw out old shabbos outfits and old sneakers she won’t want to wear as a kallah meidel. Why would she have more than 3 suitcases after that?

She bought stuff in Israel. There are American stores like junnees, fame and more and other stuff in geula

mommyhood

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 8:42 pm
amother OP wrote:
She bought stuff in Israel. There are American stores like junnees, fame and more and other stuff in geula

I also had notes I couldn’t imagine not bringing home. Seforim I had written in that I didn’t want to leave behind. Of course I haven’t touched them since but I would have felt awful if my mother tried telling me that back then.

amother
Feverfew

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 8:48 pm
amother OP wrote:
What do you mean by you came there with 3/4 suitcases

Oops going to correct it.
I meant2/3, as in 2 or 3.
I took as many I was allowed. It was booked through a travel agemt, and I think we were allowed3... I'm talking close to 20 years ago

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 8:49 pm
mommyhood wrote:
I also had notes I couldn’t imagine not bringing home. Seforim I had written in that I didn’t want to leave behind. Of course I haven’t touched them since but I would have felt awful if my mother tried telling me that back then.

How many suitcases did you bring back including stuff you brought for pesach and left at home?

amother
Feverfew

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 8:50 pm
amother OP wrote:

I dunno.
When I was in seminary almost20 years ago, we weren't going clothes shopping.

amother
Glitter

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 8:56 pm
I was only allowed 1 suitcase so I shipped loads of stuff, it took 2 months and cost $$$$$
When it arrived I was so excited. When I opened the boxes, it was thrilling to have my books and notes, and totally not thrilling to have a ton of junk that had been so precious to me and was now thrown straight away. Like my photos (I am dating myself, this was pre digital cameras) momentoes from tiyulim and special experiences like a shell or a stone or a first draft of my goodbye message for the kosel. Stuff like that. I was so embarrassed that I had shlepped it to the central post office, packed it all up and sent it on a boat.
Not sure they even do that now.
There are people who fly light and can be paid to take cases, but it is a good lesson for her to reduce, reuse and recycle.

mommyhood

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 9:41 pm
amother OP wrote:
How many suitcases did you bring back including stuff you brought for pesach and left at home?

4 and they were 70 lb suitcases back then but I didn’t take them all, I had family that brought back for me so I had no reason to limit or pay for any extra. It also was pre the days where you bought linen and blankets in Israel so I brought with me and took it back home.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 10:22 pm
I brought to sem 2 suitcases. Brought home one by pesach and one at the end of the year.
Went to sem six yrs ago

amother
Eggshell

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 10:29 pm
OP I think your dd shopped way too much lol tell her to donate clothing, shoes, shampoos, soaps, etc. my dd took home three suitcases and some stuff went in carry on and some items in her backpack. No reason to shlep 4 suitcases that is a bit extreme.

seeker

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 12:46 am
I'm so confused what is going on in seminary these days that it's normal to bring 3 suitcases there and then bring things back on Pesach and still need more than 3 suitcases back... AFTER donating all your bedding?!

I'm not judging, just genuinely confused. Are the size and weight limits on suitcases lower now than 20ish years ago?

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 4:46 am
amother Canary wrote:
Is the value of the stuff even worth the cost of the suitcase?

This! You might end up paying more in fees than the items are worth, let her give some away and prioritize. Sell or give the sefofim to someone coming next year, don’t shlep toiletries, no presents unless it’s jewelry or similar light weight, any clothes that are really bad condition or seminary style that she likely won’t wear again (for example button down uniform shirts) should be gotten rid of.

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 4:47 am
seeker wrote:
I'm so confused what is going on in seminary these days that it's normal to bring 3 suitcases there and then bring things back on Pesach and still need more than 3 suitcases back... AFTER donating all your bedding?!

I'm not judging, just genuinely confused. Are the size and weight limits on suitcases lower now than 20ish years ago?

Yes , I remember at one point being allowed 75 lbs, now some airlines limit to 40 lbs.

Elfrida

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 5:01 am
notshanarishona wrote:
Yes , I remember at one point being allowed 75 lbs, now some airlines limit to 40 lbs.

From England, that was always the limit. I wore my winter coat to fly out,on a boiling hot day in August, because there was no way it was going in my suitcase. And I stuffed all the pockets as much as I could. But I survived the year with one suitcase, and accumulated some stuff while I was there. I stayed in Israel for Pesach, so nothing extra there.

I flew back with the same single suitcase, and shipped back a box of sefarim (surface mail).

syrima

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 7:52 am
Now that you're in this situation and it sounds like there’s quality winter stuff that wasn't sent home pesach, can she leave a suitcase with winter stuff either in sem storage or better by a friend or relative, and maybe someone nice can bring it for her later in the year?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 7:56 am
syrima wrote:
Now that you're in this situation and it sounds like there’s quality winter stuff that wasn't sent home pesach, can she leave a suitcase with winter stuff either in sem storage or better by a friend or relative, and maybe someone nice can bring it for her later in the year?

Good idea

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 7:57 am
amother Glitter wrote:
I was only allowed 1 suitcase so I shipped loads of stuff, it took 2 months and cost $$$$$
When it arrived I was so excited. When I opened the boxes, it was thrilling to have my books and notes, and totally not thrilling to have a ton of junk that had been so precious to me and was now thrown straight away. Like my photos (I am dating myself, this was pre digital cameras) momentoes from tiyulim and special experiences like a shell or a stone or a first draft of my goodbye message for the kosel. Stuff like that. I was so embarrassed that I had shlepped it to the central post office, packed it all up and sent it on a boat.
Not sure they even do that now.
There are people who fly light and can be paid to take cases, but it is a good lesson for her to reduce, reuse and recycle.

You didn't save any photos?
I actually made a photo book and have couple of prints. ( 2012 sem graduate) But you don't want any memories?

amother
Wallflower

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 3:17 pm
I would say probably easiest to just pay for an extra suitcase. Shipping would be more expensive than that probably.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info