Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info
Dd has too much stuff to bring back from seminary
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 11:05 am
Is there a way to ship it home or other way?

amother
Heather

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 11:08 am
Can’t she leave some stuff there? She probably won’t get much use out of her seminary uniforms as an example.

How did she end up with so much more stuff then she came with?

scruffy

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 11:09 am
Can she find someone coming to the seminary next year who she can give bedding, seforim, small appliances, uniforms etc to?

Last edited by scruffy on Wed, Jun 19 2024, 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 11:10 am
Many sell or gift or donate or pay for additional luggage or leave stuff hoping others will bring it back for them .
She needs to prioritize.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 11:30 am
She gave away a lot of stuff. This is after she got rid of bedding and uniforms. She bought clothes in Israel and presents.

kenz

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 11:36 am
If it’s important just pay for a third piece of luggage, much easier than shipping it.

AlwaysCleaning

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 11:36 am
Pay for another suitcase.
Or have her go thru clothing and think about whether she will really wear all the clothes she has
Styles have changed while she's away and usually girls are sick of their clothes after the year is over

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 11:37 am
She has more than three suitcases

kenz

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 11:42 am
amother OP wrote:
She has more than three suitcases

I would really have her weed it out. Unless she bought everyone very large gifts and you can’t. If she shopped that much she’s going to want to shop again at home anyway. Imagine how aggravating it will be to arrange for shipping 3 boxes or whatever and then find 2 bags of giveaway clothes outside her door a few days after she gets home….

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 11:44 am
I guess I need to tell her that 3 suitcases are the max

zaq

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 5:37 pm
She should give it to a gmach. There are plenty of gmachs that collect seminary girls' leftovers.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 5:40 pm
zaq wrote:
She should give it to a gmach. There are plenty of gmachs that collect seminary girls' leftovers.

Yes she already gave stuff to gemach. She needs to give more.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 5:45 pm
amother OP wrote:
Is there a way to ship it home or other way?

It costs a hellava lot more to ship than to pay to bring extra suitcases on the plane. Decide how many extra suitcases you're willing to pay for.

More likely than not, she's bringing home stuff she doesn't need and will throw out as soon as she walks into the door. It would be a shame not to give the stuff away now to someone who could use it.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 5:47 pm
ra_mom wrote:
It costs a hellava lot more to ship than to pay to bring extra suitcases on the plane. Decide how many extra suitcases you're willing to pay for.

More likely than not, she's bringing home stuff she doesn't need and will throw out as soon as she walks into the door. It would be a shame not to give the stuff away now to someone who could use it.

How many suitcases are the “max” to bring back. I mean what is just probably Too much.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 5:53 pm
amother OP wrote:
How many suitcases are the “max” to bring back. I mean what is just probably Too much.

El Al says passenger may travel with a maximum of 5 pieces of checked baggage (5 total, whether included in price, or needed to pay extra for).

As a parent I would tell my child try to limit it to 2 (because I know anything more than that means they're bringing home things that will end up in garbage), but would allow 3 if needed.

To me 4 means we are being irresponsible and will have regrets later.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 6:23 pm
ra_mom wrote:
El Al says passenger may travel with a maximum of 5 pieces of checked baggage (5 total, whether included in price, or needed to pay extra for).

As a parent I would tell my child try to limit it to 2 (because I know anything more than that means they're bringing home things that will end up in garbage), but would allow 3 if needed.

To me 4 means we are being irresponsible and will have regrets later.

Makes sense. Thanks

amother
Canary

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 6:34 pm
Is the value of the stuff even worth the cost of the suitcase?

mommyhood

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 6:38 pm
Did she come home for Pesach? If she did and brought back her winter stuff already then maybe she could fit into less space now but if not 3 suitcases sounds very reasonable to me.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 6:39 pm
mommyhood wrote:
Did she come home for Pesach? If she did and brought back her winter stuff already then maybe she could fit into less space now but if not 3 suitcases sounds very reasonable to me.

That’s right she didn’t come home for pesach. Most girls came back for pesach and took probably two suitcases full of stuff home.

amother
Feverfew

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 6:56 pm
I don't think most girls buy much stuff in Israel that are bigger than a tehillim.

When I was in seminary, I flew back with the same amount of suitcases I came with (2 or 3) and I gave away my comforter.

I brought home my notes and seforim instead.
I definitely wasn't buying clothes there.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info