Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
S/o kollel ppl should live simply
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9

amother
Petunia

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 12:33 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I think everyone has to find their ideal middle ground. I hate the term living simply. Its about balance and being moderate in your approach to gashmius. Have what you need for your family but do it in a way that is tznius.

Housing is a good example. In my city a common house type is 3 bed 1 bath on the second floor. Its very squishy for your average family so people build back to make more bed and bathrooms. If you can afford it why should you be shoved in like sardines. But at the same time do you need to tear it down and buy the house next door and make something 5000 square feet? For most people they really dont.

There are other ways that this manifests but to me its about being a balanced person.

Also most of my peers making 300k can easily pay 100k alone in tuition so your not living a life of luxury even if you want it.

yes but this applies to everyone not only people in kollel

mha3484

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 12:42 pm
Yes but if I as a yeshivish person values tzinus, histapkus b'muat, torah being the most important thing and more then it should naturally follow when I am deciding if I should buy something big or small it fits in with those values. So it applies to everyone sure but also not everyone is choosing to live that derech.

I daven at a local kollel that only has a kiddush for a simcha and there are guidelines you must follow. Like the only hot food is potato kugel and you can have baked goods, salads etc. Its a shita. But if you dont like that no one is forcing you do daven there. We daven there because we like that its so simple.

amother
Petunia

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 12:46 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Yes but if I as a yeshivish person values tzinus, histapkus b'muat, torah being the most important thing and more then it should naturally follow when I am deciding if I should buy something big or small it fits in with those values. So it applies to everyone sure but also not everyone is choosing to live that derech.

even MO ppl would say torah is the most important thing in their life, its not only kollel families that are capable of these contradictions.

ShishKabob

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 10:53 pm
amother Bellflower wrote:
You can live however you want.
Just don't flaunt or instill in your kids that you are very in to gashmyus & brands, or an attitude that you are better or frummer than others.
That said, husband learning in kollel does not mean that the family is living a torah lifestyle & has a torah home. And family who's husband/father is working, can have a true torah home & torah lifestyle.
I LOVE this response. Every single word.
Page 9 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 Recent Topics