Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Landlords, would you rent your 2BR to someone with kids
Previous  1  2

amother
Pistachio

Post Mon, Jun 03 2024, 1:15 pm
amother Lilac wrote:
I’m just going to point out that it’s extremely illegal to not rent to someone because they have children. They can’t just say they are looking for a chosson kallah, it’s against federal law

The community does a lot of illegal screening as well as disparate pay - so long as they aren't foolish enough to advertise, they are free to select who to rent to among several applicants.

It is obviously impossible to predict who is going to be problematic unless you are able to get references in some way. Poor credit scores for example can be a red flag to many landlords.

All things being equal - without knowing more - the ideal tenants for a 2 bedroom would be a couple with an infant who would probably be inclined to move when the second baby came. Or a couple or single person downsizing. That's just reality.

Cmon be nice

Post Mon, Jun 03 2024, 1:24 pm
You really dont know, Ive had 2 couples over the years who moved in after they got married, and both moved out after 1 year and a baby,

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Mon, Jun 03 2024, 1:28 pm
Another reason people don’t like families is because then they usually need some outdoor space, place to ride and store tricycles, etc. there’s also the sound of kids having tantrums, they have more garbage, packages, etc. in general it’s more of a disruption. So renting to a couple gives you at least a couple years of quiet, while with a family you don’t even get that.

amother
  DarkCyan  

Post Mon, Jun 03 2024, 1:32 pm
amother Lemonchiffon wrote:
Another reason people don’t like families is because then they usually need some outdoor space, place to ride and store tricycles, etc. there’s also the sound of kids having tantrums, they have more garbage, packages, etc. in general it’s more of a disruption. So renting to a couple gives you at least a couple years of quiet, while with a family you don’t even get that.

Packages?? My young couples get an insane amount of packages!!!

amother
Latte

Post Mon, Jun 03 2024, 1:49 pm
amother DarkCyan wrote:
Packages?? My young couples get an insane amount of packages!!!

Had that also. My door used to be blocked by their packages, or people knocking on our door. (No idea why why they never wrote basement).

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Jun 03 2024, 1:50 pm
I have found that when there is a shortage of apartments, people want a Chosson\Kallah

When it hard to rent out your apartment people will take families with kids.

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Mon, Jun 03 2024, 2:27 pm
I had to move when I had 2 kids under 2 years old and it was impossible to even get a 3br. We ended up renting a small house out of Lakewood proper because it wasnt so much more at that point

amother
  Dimgray  

Post Mon, Jun 03 2024, 2:52 pm
Wow this thread really made me realize how grateful homeowners should be that they own a home. It's such a huge bracha.

Young families nowadays are so stuck.
They can't afford homes (even small starter houses) and they also can't move to a larger apartment because no one is going to rent to a family with kids.
My relative is stuck in her 2 bedroom basement since shana rishona. She has 5 kids and no one wants to rent to her but she can't afford a house. And I know so many other families in similar situations.

amother
  DarkCyan

Post Mon, Jun 03 2024, 3:05 pm
amother Dimgray wrote:
Wow this thread really made me realize how grateful homeowners should be that they own a home. It's such a huge bracha.

They can't afford homes (even small starter houses) and they also can't move to a larger apartment because no one is going to rent to a family with kids.
My relative is stuck in her 2 bedroom basement since shana rishona. She has 5 kids and no one wants to rent to her but she can't afford a house. And I know so many other families in similar situations.

Really, the main thing is that we should have good health. And shalom bayis!
What good is a house if a person is suffering from illness or a lack of shalom in their lives?
Of course living in a house is nice and very convenient but it’s not the most important thing in the world.
I’m not saying that you shouldn’t try for a house at some point. I’m just putting it into perspective.

amother
  Dimgray

Post Mon, Jun 03 2024, 3:11 pm
amother DarkCyan wrote:
Really, the main thing is that we should have good health. And shalom bayis!
What good is a house if a person is suffering from illness or a lack of shalom in their lives?
Of course living in a house is nice and very convenient but it’s not the most important thing in the world.
I’m not saying that you shouldn’t try for a house at some point. I’m just putting it into perspective.

Easy for you to say when you own a house. Such a tone deaf and insensitive post.

Its not just about convenience. Owning a home is very important for financial stability. Renting is so uncertain, you can be kicked out at any point. And you don't have an asset that you can sell later on if necessary. And you're not building equity. And you need to have enough money to pay rent forever, even for years and years of retirement, while if you own a home you will be done your mortgage. And and and...

And who said if you're in an apartment you're not gonna have illness or lack of shalom?

It is a terrifying prospect to think about renting forever. And not just because a house is "nice and convenient." It's really necessary for stability.

tweety1

Post Mon, Jun 03 2024, 5:19 pm
amother Raspberry wrote:
You realize that they beH will have a family soon.....

Of course I do. But it's one thing starting off as a young couple and another moving in with 2 or 3 kids and having 2 or 3 more in the apartment.

amother
Firethorn

Post Mon, Jun 03 2024, 5:21 pm
amother Lilac wrote:
I’m just going to point out that it’s extremely illegal to not rent to someone because they have children. They can’t just say they are looking for a chosson kallah, it’s against federal law
CO here only allows for 2 people per bedroom so if someone is expecting their 3rd they have legally outgrown the 2 bedroom.

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Mon, Jun 03 2024, 8:10 pm
amother Aubergine wrote:
Huh??

How did our standards get so high that we can’t have a 2bdrm with 2 kids

You misunderstood, OP is more than happy to have 2 kids in a 2br, its the landlord who is afraid the apartment will have more wear and tear due to the children.

I would rent my 2br to someone with kids but stipulate that the apartment is returned in the same condition - painted etc.

Landlords generally prefer to rent out for more than one year so if the family already has 2 kids, chances are they will have 3 soon and will want to move or the LL may not want 5 people in his 2br...A young couple without kids will stay a few years...easier on the LL.

amother
DarkViolet

Post Mon, Jun 03 2024, 9:04 pm
I personally would prefer a family with 1 or 2 kids moving into our 3 bdrm bsmt versus a chosson/kallah. I feel it'll give us more privacy up above (drown out our noise) - I am a landlord with a family with 3 children in the bsmt

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Jun 03 2024, 9:27 pm
I'm not in Lakewood but I have a tenant. My current tenants moved in the night of their wedding four years ago and have two children now. Personally I wouldn't want a family with a bunch of kids as I feel like it's an invasion of privacy a bit. I also don't think my apartment can really have much more than three tops. It's pretty small. I guess we'll see how long they stay. I would do fine if they decide to move or stay for a bit longer.
I would only take a new tenant with up to one child.

amother
Moccasin  

Post Mon, Jun 03 2024, 9:30 pm
amother Maize wrote:
But who is staying in a 2br long term? Most young couples will be looking to expand their family. Are you going to start vetting by how many children they're thinking to have and in how many years? Or maybe it's only open to people with fertility issues? An older couple will hopefully own their own home and not be looking to rent.
So who is the magical person that is the person to rent to?

Um, any young couple iyh.

My sister has a two bedroom. She charged a bit less and only showed it to young couples.

Her tenants stayed for 10 years with several children. Who she has a great relationship with and loved having around!

But when they left she looked for another young couple because practically it’s usually longer term and overall less wear and tear/ repair work than having ppl leave every 2 years.

amother
  Moccasin

Post Mon, Jun 03 2024, 9:33 pm
amother Dimgray wrote:

People with apartments that have 3+ bedrooms in sure would rent to her! It’s just the smaller apartments people prefer less turnover.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries