Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
I am Satmar Chassidish AMA
  Previous  1  2  3 6  7  8 15  16  17  Next

amother
Obsidian

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 6:44 am
amother Burlywood wrote:
one of the founders of chaim medical is Pessy Schlafarig ( ausch) She is Pupa.

Shavy kahan is the original founder she’s satmar monroe

amother
Stonewash

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 6:58 am
amother Burlywood wrote:
one of the founders of chaim medical is Pessy Schlafarig ( ausch) She is Pupa.

Chaim medical was founded by Shevy Kahan from kj. Pessy Schlafrig from bp works for her.

Refuah helpline was founded by Chana Breindel landau from kj.

I know them all personally.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 7:12 am
I just want to chime in here and say that as a Satmar Chassidish lady from Williamsburg, OP's answers do not accurately reflect the reality. Shaving is pretty much followed by everyone across the board, besides for a few outliers, and those women also don't have a problem wearing black tights and wigs longer than shoulder length. I don't think her portrayal of the Satmar community is all that accurate.

I also need to say that Satmar's level of education for the girls is on Regents level or higher. We're taught more than just text based material, we're taught to think outside the box. It is a known fact amongst employers in Williamsburg that Satmar graduates have the best language skills and are the most diligent employees. I was told this by a business owner that has absolutely no shaychus to Satmar whatsoever, but will only hire Satmar girls to work for him. And working in a corporate environment with every type of Jew, and some non-Jews as well, I have seen it to be true.

amother
Fuchsia  

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 7:13 am
amother OP wrote:
Elbows, knees, collarbones are super important. Wigs not more than an inch or 2 past the shoulders, no black tights (the absolute horror), I'm not quite sure how far would be too far though.

Fellow satmar Williamsburg here Hi Black tights a horror? Cmon, the reason we don’t wear black tights is because in Satmar the ultra ultra frum women wear black tights… the rebetzins and the shpitzlach:) it’s just not a thing

amother
  Leaf  

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 7:19 am
amother Pumpkin wrote:
I just want to chime in here and say that as a Satmar Chassidish lady from Williamsburg, OP's answers do not accurately reflect the reality. Shaving is pretty much followed by everyone across the board, besides for a few outliers, and those women also don't have a problem wearing black tights and wigs longer than shoulder length. I don't think her portrayal of the Satmar community is all that accurate.

I also need to say that Satmar's level of education for the girls is on Regents level or higher. We're taught more than just text based material, we're taught to think outside the box. It is a known fact amongst employers in Williamsburg that Satmar graduates have the best language skills and are the most diligent employees. I was told this by a business owner that has absolutely no shaychus to Satmar whatsoever, but will only hire Satmar girls to work for him. And working in a corporate environment with every type of Jew, and some non-Jews as well, I have seen it to be true.

This is your reality.
That’s her reality.

amother
  Cinnamon  

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 7:20 am
amother Pumpkin wrote:

This. Thank you! I know quite a few business that only hire satmar girls. So enough with the sterotypes.

amother
Red  

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 7:23 am
I just want to make some people aware that it's not PC to chime in with your experiences on AMA threads (general threads of course say whatever you want, but AMA threads are meant to interact with the OP and not a public conversation).

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 7:23 am
amother Pumpkin wrote:

I grew up in satmar. I dont know ONE person sending the kids to satmar who wear black tights.

Shaving , there is really no way to know the percentages as its personal and women do it secretly.

And the english education is regent level of higher?

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 7:24 am
amother Oleander wrote:
I know in the Gur chassidus intimacy between husband and wife has lots of rules and restrictions.
Does Satmar get involved in your bedroom life?
If so, what are the rules?

No rules besides for taharas hamishpacha.

amother
  Cinnamon

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 7:26 am
amother Red wrote:
I just want to make some people aware that it's not PC to chime in with your experiences on AMA threads (general threads of course say whatever you want, but AMA threads are meant to interact with the OP and not a public conversation).

true, thanks for the awareness, didnt realize.

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 7:27 am
amother Trillium wrote:
Do you or others feel limited? Is there such a thing as women singers who wouldn’t post their work in public but maybe would on a Jewish network for women? I would feel very limited being satmar in terms of creativity… Say even if I was a painter for example. Do you know what I mean?
I really appreciate the love and achdus of being satmar and similar chassidus.

I don't know if it's particularly a satmar thing that women's creativity is limited. But I personally know at least 3 satmar women who have made singing their career

amother
Indigo  

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 7:27 am
amother Pumpkin wrote:

I am sure that Satmar girls are wonderful people and diligent workers, but to be honest being a good worker has ZERO to do with the person's prior level of education. This is obviously dependent on the job (writers for the New York Times are obviously well educated in writing and journalism), but I'm sure that you are not talking about that specific type of job.

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 7:28 am
amother Leaf wrote:
How old were you when you got married?
How old was your husband?

1 was 19, my husband was 22

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 7:34 am
amother Pumpkin wrote:

Regarding the shaving, I'm really glad (?) that your innocence is intact, but the number of women who don't shave is pretty high. You wouldn't know most of the women that don't shave.

The Satmar girls education is extremely focused on the practical, both in Yiddish/hebrew studies and the english department. It is far from being Regents level, but translates really well to the corporate world. Add in the healthy dose of chutzpah we all seem to have and we make the best employees and entrepreneurs

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 7:35 am
amother Fuchsia wrote:
Fellow satmar Williamsburg here Hi Black tights a horror? Cmon, the reason we don’t wear black tights is because in Satmar the ultra ultra frum women wear black tights… the rebetzins and the shpitzlach:) it’s just not a thing

I was making fun of the fact that if I would wear black tights it would be worse than carrying on Shabbos LOL ( there's an eruv in Williamsburg that Satmar doesn't accept)

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 7:41 am
amother Aqua wrote:
I grew up in satmar. I dont know ONE person sending the kids to satmar who wear black tights.

Shaving , there is really no way to know the percentages as its personal and women do it secretly.

And the english education is regent level of higher?

Black tights is not allowed by most Williamsburg schools

The English education is nowhere close to Regents level but is very practical. We learned accounting, business math, touch typing, excel, quick books, business etiquette, among the standard algebra, history, grammar, biology, chemistry etc

amother
  Topaz  

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 7:54 am
Is it possible to be Satmar and not frum but still part of the community ?

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 7:59 am
amother Topaz wrote:
Is it possible to be Satmar and not frum but still part of the community ?

Not really. Since Satmar is so big on conformity, once you don't toe the line you're out.
People are becoming more aware and accepting of the OTD youth from our community, but in an arm's length distance kind of way

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 8:02 am
amother Cinnamon wrote:
This. Thank you! I know quite a few business that only hire satmar girls. So enough with the sterotypes.

Satmar girls have a certain chutzpah that is not seen elsewhere. There's also a hustle mentality in the Satmar community and the push of 'anything you can do I can do better'
I'm saying this as a former high school teacher and current business owner.

Editing for clarity, I am not calling Satmar girls chutzpedig, I am referring to the inner go getter that many Satmar people seem to have. The same chutzpa that kept us going the past 2000 years in galus

amother
Quince

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 8:35 am
I'm loving this thread! Thank you for giving us a peek into your life, OP! As someone who lives in a completely different kind of community in a different country, I love learning more about your life. Also, you're so gracious in your responses to others- so nice to see.
Page 7 of 17   Previous  1  2  3 6  7  8 15  16  17  Next Recent Topics