Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Is super nanny good chinuch?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 12:55 pm
I've watched many of her episodes and feel like I learnt alot but I am torn about it. On one hand I feel like she is always loving and calm but disciplines effectively. On the other hand I feel like she may be too tough and should be letting some things slide.

I would love to hear thoughts since I am struggling with disciplining my children.

BrisketBoss  

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 12:58 pm
I'm not into Super Nanny. But she does get short term behavioral results which seems to be the goal of many parents.

amother
Daffodil

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 1:00 pm
Since it’s a tv show, it’s not a reliable source for parenting advice. Things are made to look a certain way.
Also, she is brought into extreme situation usually and therefore her methods are intervention as a desperate measure to make a change, you don’t necessarily see if she made long term successful changes in a household.
That being said there are definitely some bits of useful advice on the show. But use your common sense about what feels right to apply to your kids.

amother
Bluebell  

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 1:04 pm
She's not made for regular families that are dealing with regular childhood issues. Most families she's dealing with are quite dysfunctional or the childrens behavior is really extreme and out of the ordinary.

BrisketBoss  

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 1:08 pm
Here are some opposing views.

https://time.com/3404701/disci.....good/

https://www.alfiekohn.org/arti.....anny/

mushkamothers

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 1:24 pm
Oh gosh- no!! Please don't learn from her. It's TV. Don't take chinuch advice from her outdated and often mean methods.

To answer the question literally: chinuch means education. The word discipline is like disciple - teach. It isn't behavior modification. You cannot achieve lasting chinuch or education from her methods. You can get your kids to behave or respond in the moment, or to obey, but that's not chinuch.

scintilla

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 1:27 pm
No. It's just cruel. I do believe she means well, and there is some truth to what she says, but mostly it's exaggerated for TV. Just think of all those kids driven to tears in front of millions?? That alone would discredit her in my eyes...

Better to focus on your relationship with your kids vs being the right level of strict. Yes of course boundaries etc.

Redbird  

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 1:28 pm
Very 90s vibes, with the "time out until you can calm down by yourself."

As apposed to the current popular methods of learning to regulate yourself in order to help your kids regulate, and being in tune and a safe place for your kids.

IMO super nannys methods not good, but still better than the zero discipline and chaos and spanking and yelling that happens before she shows up.

BrisketBoss

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 1:34 pm
Redbird wrote:
IMO super nannys methods not good, but still better than the zero discipline and chaos and spanking and yelling that happens before she shows up.

Yes exactly, the drama sells. The people eat it up.

Redbird

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 2:32 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
Here are some opposing views.

https://time.com/3404701/disci.....good/

https://www.alfiekohn.org/arti.....anny/

Alfie kohn is a whole other extreme!

amother
Peony  

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 3:30 pm
I think she has some good points and some that I would do differently. I try to learn something from the good I see in the show and discard what I don't like.

What I like:

I think having set house rules about what is acceptable and what you want to let slide, in advance, is the most important thing. They don't have to be the same as hers. But having wife and husband on the same page about the house rules is very important.

I think consistency is extremely important. Whatever the consequence is for your kids behavior (and it doesn't have to be a naughty spot for everything), make sure to follow through every time.

I think she promotes those concepts, but I don't always agree with her exact methods, but having a method set up front is much easier to implement in the moment. So it doesn't have to be her methods, but having methods decided on up front and can just use in the moment is helpful.

But each person has to figure out a discipline/consequences (good and bad) system that works for them. I don't think there is necessarily one right way of discipline, just need to figure out what works for wife and husband and for the kids.

Roots  

Post Thu, Jun 29 2023, 2:19 am
so I recently started watching random episodes on youtube and I am actually enjoying it
obviously I can not take everythng from it but I loved the concept that IM THE PARENT and to BE THE PARENT- not to be scared of the kids etc- I AM THE RESPONSIBLE ADULT
its funny, cuz I obviously always knew that- but with the kids growing older and becoming intimidating, I guess I can sometimes forget

ill embed some here so people can watch and see for themselves

Last edited by Roots on Thu, Jun 29 2023, 2:20 am; edited 1 time in total

Roots  

Post Thu, Jun 29 2023, 2:19 am

Roots  

Post Thu, Jun 29 2023, 2:20 am

Roots  

Post Thu, Jun 29 2023, 2:21 am

Roots  

Post Thu, Jun 29 2023, 2:21 am
if anyone would like I can put some more

Rappel

Post Thu, Jun 29 2023, 2:25 am
Her bedtime training method saved me.

Take what you like, leave what you dont.

salt

Post Thu, Jun 29 2023, 2:33 am
I don't like the naughty corner time-out method - and that's in absolutely every episode.

But in general, loving but firm is a good way to go.

And how is it - everyone on super-nanny has an absolutely HUGE house!!

Bnei Berak 10  

Post Thu, Jun 29 2023, 3:21 am
scintilla wrote:
No. It's just cruel. I do believe she means well, and there is some truth to what she says, but mostly it's exaggerated for TV. Just think of all those kids driven to tears in front of millions?? That alone would discredit her in my eyes...

Better to focus on your relationship with your kids vs being the right level of strict. Yes of course boundaries etc.

What exactly is cruel in your opinion?

Bnei Berak 10  

Post Thu, Jun 29 2023, 3:28 am
mushkamothers wrote:
Oh gosh- no!! Please don't learn from her. It's TV. Don't take chinuch advice from her outdated and often mean methods.

To answer the question literally: chinuch means education. The word discipline is like disciple - teach. It isn't behavior modification. You cannot achieve lasting chinuch or education from her methods. You can get your kids to behave or respond in the moment, or to obey, but that's not chinuch.

You forget something. Jo Frost has published a large number of books. It's not just TV shows.
Please tell me what so mean about her methods?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics