Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
How much nosh do your kids take on day camp trips?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

flowerpower  

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 5:36 pm
amother Sienna wrote:
A trip every week? That is abnormal!

Most day camps where I live have 1-2 trips every week.

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 5:38 pm
flowerpower wrote:
Well… blame all the mothers that follow the kids wants by being sheep. The parents are the one raising the unnecessary bar! Why do the kids need so much junk every time they go have fun? Makes little sense to me
Some kids can pull off being different and some really need to fit in this way. Much as the parents hate it.

amother
DarkMagenta  

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 5:43 pm
amother Burlywood wrote:
omg my daughter had a fit now she has to go with tatty to the store and pick out a nosh she thinks
a nosh is a candy I told her no a snack she said everyone goes with their mother and father !!thats
lakewood for you

I don't know why you would blame a town for your parenting... put your foot down & say that'd not what we do.
In our house, every 2 to 3 weeks we discuss what kind of Nosh the kids would like to bring and I go shopping and I buy a bunch of each thing and for the small trips the kids could bring two things plus a snack bag and the bigger trips they get to bring three plus gum and a snack.
We get small boxes of Mike and Ikes, the individual Jolly Ranchers, small boxes of Tic Tacs, gum, choc covered rice cakes, fruit peels etc. I also buy big boxes of Fruit by the Foot, gushers. If they like to pastries I would get the big boxes with the individually wrapped but my kids are not into that.
I also buy a case of soda and a case of Powerade or Gatorade and of course water.

amother
  DarkMagenta

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 5:44 pm
amother Sienna wrote:
A trip every week? That is abnormal!

I grew up in Brooklyn 30+ yrs ago, we did a weekly trip. Not always major, sometimes it's bowling.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 5:45 pm
Why overthink it? Let them choose a couple snacks from your pantry, or if you have time take them to the grocery and let them choose a couple things.

amother
Currant

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 5:58 pm
I ran an OOT day camp for 20 years with lots of non frum rich kids as well as frum kids. Trip day was the same as every other day, we provided healthy snacks and water. Major trip some kids brought money for drinks but that was it. I don’t get it when I’m in Brooklyn in the summer and see hordes of kids early morning at the supermarket buying $10-20 of nash every day to take to camp. Why is this necessary?

amother
Lily

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 6:38 pm
Send a lot of snacks. Kids get hungry on trips. If you don’t send a lot of snacks then your kid is either hungry or getting from friends.

keym

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 7:19 pm
Depends on the trip.
A bowling or "jumping place" or ice skating trip, I send a danish. Zehu.
Full day or outdoor trips, I send an extra water bottle and a medium Gatorade (I stock in advance). 1 danish, 1 extra regular snack bag, somewhat healthy (dry fruit, pickles, flavored applesauce, fruit cup, granola bar, even coated whole grain rice cakes). And a smallish bag of small candy like nibs specifically to share with their friends.
I got inspired by a poster here and starting sending an extra danish for my child to give to someone who seems not to have.
Truthfully a lot of the stuff comes home, but they feel happy that they have what they need.

amother
Vanilla

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 7:24 pm
Am I the only one who thinks it’s ok to get nosh for trips? I’m in my 30’s and I remember going to the store to get nosh and snacks for trips. Maybe we had less trips back then so it was less frequent, I don’t remember.

I actually introduced the idea to my kids the first year they went to camp because I thought it was standard and I didn’t want them to feel left out on the trip.

(I grew up in Lakewood if that matters)

amother
Crystal

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 7:29 pm
3 snacks and 1 candy per trip. 1 snack is a Danish, incase they decide to skip lunch. It's more filling than the candy and chips.

My dd told me that kids are bringing candy to camp daily. Can't Believe It

amother
Molasses  

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 8:36 pm
two snack bags (they bring one or two daily)
one or two small pastries (the bingo 24 to-go in a box)
One "nosh" aka junky/sugary thing (lasso, sour sticks, roller candy etc)
One sweet drink (coke/snapple/gatorade)
Water
I bought one package of gum but told them it needs to last the month - I'm not buying a new one each trip

Is it a lot? Yes, I think it is. Do I tell my kids that the point of the trip is to enjoy, not to eat nosh? Yes. But they want it. And I don't want them to remember that trips were "everyone brought but mommy didn't let". It's once a week (that they know about! Thankfully, the "runaways" don't count so they don't need nosh. In my days ice skating was a trip. Apparently now it's a "runaway")

amother
Pistachio

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 8:54 pm
2 snack bags and a water bottle. No junk. They get enough from camp.

amother
Apple

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 9:03 pm
I let my son take whatever snacks he wants from the snack cabinet. He has a lot of self control and does not gorge himself on nosh. I'm really not on top of but I don't think he takes more for trips than he does on regular days. Maybe just the major trips.
The camp provides meals and snacks.

amother
Foxglove

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 9:49 pm
I let my kids take nosh and snacks and drinks. Maybe cause my mom restricted me when I was young and made me take NEBBY healthy snacks and nosh and no sugar drinks when I went on trips and I could still feel the envy.
I let my kids choose with a limit but no way they should feel left out.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 8:31 am
I buy a bunch of colors of Gatorade at the beginning of the summer, enough for each kid to take one per trip and I keep brownie bars or something else special in the freezer for them to take and I always have candy in a cabinet. Then they take some regular snacks and it's more than enough.
I try to avoid the trips to the store the night before the trip. I'm in the car doing carpool all day I don't need more trips. And it costs me so much more money and the kids pick much bigger treats than what I'm offering.

Highstrung

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 8:41 am
amother DarkMagenta wrote:
I grew up in Brooklyn 30+ yrs ago, we did a weekly trip. Not always major, sometimes it's bowling.

Exactly . A trip weekly was the norm when I was growing up. There was one major trip each half of the summer and then regular weekly trips to places like the zoo, the aquarium, a museum etc. It’s really not so crazy to have a weekly trip.

amother
Catmint

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 8:42 am
Last year one of of the camps requested only one special nosh/snack be sent, I believe major trip they allowed two.
I really liked that, however my child was jealous of what his siblings were able to bring on trips.

My kids get either sick or crazy on too much nosh. I would love if all the camps had a similar rule.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 9:16 am
They take 2/3 extra noshes on long trips plus Powerade , aside for their snack bags ..
I took them to gourmet glatt beginning of this week and let them pick a bunch of nosh and gum for all their trips . I’m done now and they get to divide it how they like. Already yesterday one son had a trip (and came home with most of his nosh). He has another trip tomorrow and I don’t have to take him nosh shopping bh .

amother
Broom

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 10:22 am
For starters I don't live in Lakewood.

My kids get their regular lunch and regular snacks (I give 2 healthy (fruit/veg), a few cookies/chips and sometimes an extra crunchy snack like pretzels/crackers) and water for regular trip days. (for the kids that can't have fruit and veg (their mouth tingles) I try to give more snacks on the healthier side like nature valley granola bars, pretzels, etc) On really long trips (coming home very late) or an overnight, then I'll get a special type of drink and maybe a little candy.

My middle school son is in a local travel camp. Trips every day and home every evening (other than a couple overnights over the summer). If he got extras for trips, he'd get extras every single day.

I chaperoned a school trip for my elementary school daughter this past winter. Kids brought whole packages candy, but they shared and didn't eat it all themselves. But in truth it was like 5 kids on the whole school bus.

pause

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 4:14 pm
For small trips it's an extra snack or two from the drawer. For major trip we go to the store and they can choose one pastry, two snack bags of the kinds I don't usually stock at home, one candy/sugar junk, and a drink. Then they also take along a water bottle. Some kids opt to also take along a healthy food such as sliced apple.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics