Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Raising money for tuition

amother  

Post Sun, Dec 30 2007, 11:20 pm
We are having a very hard time meeting our tuition payments. At tis point we have exhausted the Gemachim, and may need to raise the additional amount. Does anyone have advice how this can be done? I have a friend who did it, but that person has a more outgoing, go getting personality. I don't know how to do it.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Dec 31 2007, 10:06 am
do yu want to go door to door?

just choose a richer neighborhood than crown heights,which is already way stretched !!!

amother  

Post Mon, Dec 31 2007, 10:15 am
Instead of making yourself crazy, why not go to the school and tell them you can't pay any more?

timeout

Post Mon, Dec 31 2007, 10:26 am
amother they'll usually tell u then to go to another school that is cheaper!

When I went to enroll my dd in school and they spoke to me about tuition I happened to say that it would be hard for me to make payments so they told me if it will be a problem to take my child elsewhere.

On another note we came up with a solution of how to make the big tuition payments since we have 2 children K'H in school between tiotion busing etc.... we asked my DH's boss to pay it directly in one lump sum and to deduct from his salary on a weekly basis so it's as if we never had the money and it takes a big pressure off of us.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 31 2007, 1:17 pm
Good for you for taking this so seriously, Thumbs Up and being so responsible about it.
Are there odd jobs you can do? Maybe take in some typing or something else you could do from home. Maybe you could sell craftwork that you do.
Also, instead of going and asking for tuition assistance, perhaps there is a way you could barter with the yeshiva. IOW, maybe you could spend time there answering the phone, sweeping up, substitute teaching, and set that off against your bills.
Lastly, there are foundations that help with this sort of thing. Start with a google search, and see where it leads you.

gigi

Post Mon, Dec 31 2007, 2:17 pm
ask a rav about this one.
I know you are able to use maaser money in some cases.
(I think it is for a boy up till the age of 9?)

rsusselj

Post Thu, Jan 03 2008, 11:23 pm
The tuition at the Yeshiva HS we send our girls to is 25k per child per year. Our gross income is about 192k. We have FIVE girls. NO WAY is this possible, no way is it do-able. We live in an area where a "starter home" (is there really such a thing?) costs at least a half a mil.

We DO get "scholarship" from the school -- there would be no other way we could do this.

The barter idea suggested would only work, if (a) there is one parent who is not WORKING in order to be able to send their kids to the overpriced yeshiva, and/or (b) if said parent does not have any children under the age of 4 who are likely to be at home and thus would not allow the parent to go to the school to do manual labor.

Also, substitute teachers need certification -- not anyone can do it, schools usually hire FT receptionists so answering phones is probably not do-able. Sweeping is done by regular custodians, but even if that task were a chore that could be done -- I hate to telll you this: most kids, if they saw their parent sweeping in their school would be mortified. Our kids are growing up ENTITLED, regardless of parental financial circumstances. And it FEELS like most of the religious Jews in MY community are quite wealthy -- and the pressure to "keep up" is VERY strong. I really am unhappy about this last bit.

de_goldy

Post Thu, Jan 03 2008, 11:51 pm
rsusselj wrote:
and the pressure to "keep up" is VERY strong.

Only if you subscribe to it!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics